+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sorry to bring it up but, let's talk RF and the 7135

I know RF & "cancer-causing cellphones" has been discussed ad nausium, but I have a specific question for all of you really smart geeks out there that really know a lot about this stuff.

I know that there is less worry about RF if the antenna points away (which ours does when it is extended) and that it says in the manual (and many different phones' manuals) to never actually touch the antenna during a call, so here's my question...

First of all is it bad (read: less safe) to always talk on the phone WITHOUT the antenna extended?

And secondly (and VERY important to me), since I keep my phone in my pocket and I have my SnapperMail app set to automatically dial out (data call) once every half hour to hour, to check/fetch my email, and since during each of those calls, the retracted antenna is touching my leg, am I exposing myself to possible (cancerous) harm? I'm serious here.

If so, would you folks in the know, feel that people doing automatic email fetch calls should keep the phone in the holster rather than their pocket?

I really don't want to find out 10 years from now that I made a big and grave mistake.

Sorry to be so grim... you regulars know that it's not normally in my nature.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

I'd be more worried about.... ahem... cooking the boys... didn't even think about that.

I'll be proudly wearing my 7135 in my shirt pocket from now on

http://mikewren.com

OK, while we're discussing worries that sound kind of bizzare, but could be potentially serious: I'm female, and I wear my phone on a belt holster. If I ever get pregnant, I wonder, should I not?

Extensive SAR testing is performed to ensure that no comon location on the body would be effected by the handset. THis includes the head, neck, upper torso, crotch, hips, etc.

These tests are done at different angles, antenna up and down, and are rated safe to be used in all circumstances.

On top of that, think of this. The test is performed at max power (analog). In digital you are using mere fractions of that power.

You will be fine

SynC, thanks for the advice, but just one last thing... so you are saying the above applies even if the antenna is actually touching my leg, etc.?
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Re: Sorry to bring it up but, let's talk RF and the 7135

One thing to remember about CDMA phones is that they adjust output power automatically to account for poorer RF conditions. The most common one of course is being farther from a tower. But what may not be so obvious is that keeping the antennae retracted may indeed cause it to have to ramp up power, so you'll actually be better off (in theory) with it extended. Should save some battery power as well

Originally posted by Markito
    I know RF & "cancer-causing cellphones" has been discussed ad nausium, but I have a specific question for all of you really smart geeks out there that really know a lot about this stuff.

I know that there is less worry about RF if the antenna points away (which ours does when it is extended) and that it says in the manual (and many different phones' manuals) to never actually touch the antenna during a call, so here's my question...

First of all is it bad (read: less safe) to always talk on the phone WITHOUT the antenna extended?

And secondly (and VERY important to me), since I keep my phone in my pocket and I have my SnapperMail app set to automatically dial out (data call) once every half hour to hour, to check/fetch my email, and since during each of those calls, the retracted antenna is touching my leg, am I exposing myself to possible (cancerous) harm? I'm serious here.

If so, would you folks in the know, feel that people doing automatic email fetch calls should keep the phone in the holster rather than their pocket?

I really don't want to find out 10 years from now that I made a big and grave mistake.

Sorry to be so grim... you regulars know that it's not normally in my nature.

Administrator
    'kito, as my longtime friend, id say, if possible, keep the phone away from the twig and berries . also if you are going to use the phone for any long periods of time, i would suggest using a headset. all of the reports the fcc releases can be countered by another report some independent firm does.

in short, we (customers) dont know if RF causes problems to our health or not, so until we find anything concrete, its best to safeguard ourselves and not rely on any study to help us feel better (or not).

i use headsets when im on the phone for any extended period of time and i keep the phone in a camera pouch when not in use (theres even been a couple of studies that suggest earpiece's may increase RF to the head! :eyesroll).

i can imagine how much juice was flowing in my head in my Simon Days.... :Smoke:

Originally posted by turboCat
    If I ever get pregnant, I wonder, should I not?
    Correct, you should never get pregnant. Its been known to cause huge increases in stomach size, nausea, and other unpleasant things.

Fut
    Originally posted by HoTSynC
    Extensive SAR testing is performed to ensure that no comon location on the body would be effected by the handset. THis includes the head, neck, upper torso, crotch, hips, etc.

These tests are done at different angles, antenna up and down, and are rated safe to be used in all circumstances.

On top of that, think of this. The test is performed at max power (analog). In digital you are using mere fractions of that power.

i'm sorry- i know this is a serious subject and i have always had this in the back of my head (no, it's not a tumor)...but i just gotta feel sorry for the guy doing these *ahem* "extensive" tests. does he just sit a phone in his lap while someone continuously dials the phone up?

Originally posted by Fut
    i'm sorry- i know this is a serious subject and i have always had this in the back of my head (no, it's not a tumor)...but i just gotta feel sorry for the guy doing these *ahem* "extensive" tests. does he just sit a phone in his lap while someone continuously dials the phone up?
    Hehehehe, no, they use a special liquid that simulates human tissue, i.e. it absorbs radiation at the same rate as different body tissues. They use different fomulas depending whether they are simulating skin, muscle, bone or brain tissue. They basically radiate it and measure how much it heats up.
    LART 'em all! Let /root grep 'em out!

Originally posted by Fut
    HAHAHA, no. They use a RF probe that is moved throught a SAR phantom (dummy) with a gel liquid that has the same density as humman tissue. Then they account for bone density, etc based on test location. There are phantom torsos, hands, and heads.

Here is a good site to look at if you are somewhat technically minded and can understand it. It's in fairly lamans terms.

http://www.sartest.com/index.htm

You know, the SAR Dummy. Close relative to the Crash Test Dummy. :p

Shwemp

IMHO, working for a pharma company that develops cancer drugs, I would reccommend the "better safe than sorry" approach.

I mean, people don't realize it but we are exposed to radiation and carcinogens every day. High-Tension powerlines...very bad.
    Barbequed food? Carcinogenic. TV? Radiation. Basements have Radon. Second hand smoke...the list goes on. My point is, I think you should limit exposure, just to make up for everyting else on earth that can cause DNA point mutations.

...And if you are pregnant...take lots of vitamins and just be more aware of exposure. Obviously there isn't alot you can do, and obviously we aren't talking 3 mile isand here. Its not going to be a life or death situation, but I say just be aware as a precaution.

PS- Antioxidents are your friends.
    "Why all the pearls, why the blue hair, why anything!?"

Does the smoke while I'm smoking ribs count as second-hand smoke?

Originally posted by jsimonson0
    Does the smoke while I'm smoking ribs count as second-hand smoke?
    do you use a dry rub of tobacco?

I found this using google:

http://www.food-in-guelph.com/Pages/archpage47.html

One of the benefits of grilling is that it cooks off fat; nevetheless, avoid fatty foods. Aside from fire hazzards, fat hitting the fire creates smoke and, as we should all know by now, smoke is bad for our health. Yes, Virginia, smoke from cooking meats is carcinogenic. That is one of the reasons why you need to grill in a well ventilated area. Cut your risk by cutting the fat. Put a shrimp on the barbie. Fish and seafood are lower in fat and higher in cancer-fighting anti-oxidants than burgers and steaks.
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Originally posted by Steve
    I found this using google:

http://www.food-in-guelph.com/Pages/archpage47.html
    Yes, Virginia, smoke from cooking meats is carcinogenic. That is one of the reasons why you need to grill in a well ventilated area.
    Yeah... I wish I had higher ceilings so I didn't have to go outside on the deck for air when I've got the big Weber grill going in the kitchen and the smoke is too much to take.....

Did they pull that advice out of "Grilling for Dummies"? You have to try pretty hard to limit "ventilation" OUTSIDE!

Seriously... is the SAR rating pretty much a moot point if most calls are made using hands-free?
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

ROFL :rofl :rofl

Seriuosly, I think it still a concern depending on how close the phone is to your body, no matter where its placed. That's why they test using "torso" dummies.

Here's another Google search that has pictures of Damaged DNA due to radaiation. Since its implicating changes in DNA, I would be more worried about the "boys" & thier DNA than my head or Waist. I think the holster stores it safer than a pocket for that reason.

This is you DNA: (first photo)

(puts it in frying pan)

This is your DNA on SAR: (third photo)

http://www.rfsafe.com/research/rf_ha...mage/intro.htm
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Just wanted to post a couple of links I've found on this topic.

First, for those using headsets, this bit of disturbingly ambiguous information about radiation being worse than no headset if the wire is "straight": http://www.rfsafe.com/articles/bbc_110200.htm

And some sparse info about pregnancy and cell radiation: http://www.safecellularphones.com/pa...ews_050199.htm Sorry, I am not seeing any links to the original research on either of these issues.

Also, thanks, Hotsync, for the very interesting SAR research link! Their article on the effectiveness and negative aspects of various radiation "shields" was very informative.

Originally posted by turboCat
    Just wanted to post a couple of links I've found on this topic.

First, for those using headsets, this bit of disturbingly ambiguous information about radiation being worse than no headset if the wire is "straight":
    http://www.rfsafe.com/articles/bbc_110200.htm

And some sparse info about pregnancy and cell radiation: http://www.safecellularphones.com/pa...ews_050199.htm Sorry, I am not seeing any links to the original research on either of these issues.

Also, thanks, Hotsync, for the very interesting SAR research link! Their article on the effectiveness and negative aspects of various radiation "shields" was very informative.
    Sheesh, the speakerphone the only safe alternative!
    iPhone therefore iAm.