+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Overclock 7135

Overclock 7135

I overclocked my 7135 to 46 MHz, which seemed to cause the phone to stop functioning. It didn't lock it up and I was actually able to make calls, but for example, when I called my voice mail (which I have my password in the phone number with a "release"), it wouldn't let me release. As soon as I put the clocking back to 33 MHz it started working perfect again. Let me know if you had similar results or you were successful.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Just so we know, Which overclocking app are you using? FastCpu? Afterburner? other? Thanks
    iPhone therefore iAm.

I used FastCPU.

I saw weird performance with FastCPU 3.0 so I stopped using it.

Did you get something else to work better?

I used Fast CPU as well and it caused the same kinds of problems which is too bad because ti did make things noticably faster. I now have been using FreeBoost and while not as noticable it does seem to give a little extra spark to the 7135. you can get FreeBoost at http://freepalm.port5.com

That URL doesn't seem to work.

I tried using FastCPU extensively, with different settings, excluding all phone apps, etc, etc. It does work, but there are definitely occasional problems (eg, phone may flicker some at times, occasional connection issues). My opinion ended up being that with a complex OS that supports both the palm and phone functions, combined with the reality of only a 33 Mhz processor to start, it just wasn't worth it, so I've removed it....

MCCUT,
    When using FastCPU did you overclock on an App-by-App basis or just overclock across the board? I think if you left all the apps that deal with the phone side at 33Mhz and overclock the other processor intensive apps that you have then even the problem with "releasing" your password would be fixed. Also you may be able to overclock across the board and still have it function properly so long as you don't go to high. I.E. Overclock to 40 Mhz vice 46Mhz. If that does/doesn't work then step the freq up or down in 1Mhz increments till you find what works the best for you and is still stable. Just some ideas, and no i do not have a 7135.

Byrd Dog
    You should be 10% smarter than the equipment you operate. For some of you, the 7135 is not the best choice of equipment.

Quickbits seems to make funny things happen also. I have also had issues with datebk5

does anyone have documentation on freeboost?

i did not try app by app. i just went with the shotgun across the board approach. you are absolutely right about just uping the speed of the apps that it would make a difference for.

The only two apps that I see that seem to relate to the phone are the "GUIPhonePrefs" and "Dialer". I will try leaving those at 33 and uping other things and see what that does for my stability.

I need some help please!!!

I decided to stupidly install FastCPU on the 7135.

Well I am dead in the water!!!

Here is my cituation:

7135 with BackupBuddy VFS on a Sandisk 256mb SD card. I just Hotsynced the 7135 to my desktop and installed the FastCPU in the process.

I had a backup of my 7135 through BackupBuddy VFS about 1 hour ago. Once I installed FastCPU and activated it. It revered screen me on reboot and never allowed me to even access the prefs like the manual says to bypass the program in case of a problem on boot.

So after a few attempts I decided to do my very first Hard reset.

No problem and everything went back to factory. I then tried to recover from BackupBuddy VFS which had NO copy of FastCPU or for that matter no new backup from the last 1 hour and the recovery went through just fine. Once I was told to reset (which I did) The palm revered screen on me again. THERE is NO FastCPU on the backup recovery!!!

So then I hard reset it again and this time I did a recovery from the HotSync from the dekstop. I made sure I removed the FastCPU from my backup folder of the User folder of my palm software on the desktop so it does not RECOVER it back onto the Palm.

Recovery went through with no problems from the desktop to the 7135. Again I was told to reset the palm by tapping on the button on the screen and once it reset the palm went reverse screen again!! I am really pissed off and I can't believe there is something on this thing that is causing the 7135 to hang once I do a recovery even though none of my backups every had a hint of FastCPU on them!!!

PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!

I am using Afterburner, and have only OC'ed to 37MHz (unregistered version). Just 4 extra MHz and reducing the memory delay to 0ms made a huge difference.

I am going to register it and OC it to 55MHz and see what happens.

Originally posted by HoTSynC
    I am using Afterburner, and have only OC'ed to 37MHz (unregistered version). Just 4 extra MHz and reducing the memory delay to 0ms made a huge difference.

Whoa Nellie!!!

Please let us know how that goes! I hope you don't inadvertently add a new cigarette lighter "feature" to your 7135 :b_hot
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Ha, I have a couple more units sitting here in case I fry it

Ha, I have a couple more units sitting here in case I fry it
    you lucky bastage!
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Administrator
    yeah, you could send one my way... hell, it doesnt have to work.. i just want to have one...

Well today I decided to install FastCPU on my 7135. My experience on it's capability was very positive! (second time around.) I left everything as standard and only OC the apps that I wanted to above 33mhz. I took them any where between 39 to 41 mhz. I had no problems, no freeze ups and I used it extensivly for the last 4 hours but I realized that something was strange. I had only gotten a few phone calls today and normally my phone is ringing off the hook!! Well I didn't touch ANY phone related apps. The apps that I did change were some games, DateBook5, SplashPhoto, WorldMate. etc... What I realized was that when I was inside the OC apps the phone would not get recongized. I tested it later in the day by going into DateBook5 for example and calling the phone. I would click on a few different functions in the program and the phone would NEVER ring and my landline phone would go into voicemail. About the only way I was able to get it to be recognized again was to do a soft Rest or SOMETIMES by going into a none OC app. (But this method did not always work) Once I brought Datebook5 back down to 33mhz and ran it and did some work inside it, called the phone with my landline a few times and all 3 times the phone rang and was recognized. So I was very disapointed that even though FastCPU worked great in the palm enviorment, it made the phone aspect of the 7135 worthless since the phone whould not be able to be recognized while I was in the OC'd apps. and even afterwards!!

If anyone else has experienced this or has any imput, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm also curious if AfterBurner has had the same effect ?

Thanks.

Yeah, I have had little luck with both FastCPU and afterburner. As you mentioned, even leaving the default clock frequency at 33mHz, and overclocking other applications causes problems. If you are in a OC'ed app, the entire device is OC'ed. And since the phone functionality is always running in the background, this leads to undesirable results.

I had the same problems, missing calls, latency that was unbearable (pressing send would take 5-10 secs to exectue and dial). In one case, when I OC'ed to 53mHz, I had to hard rest because I lost complete digital service.

All in all, there will probably be no way to OC the 7135 without having tons of problems on the phone side.....oh well.