+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

tabs for vehicle mounting

I'm working on a plate to mount the 7135 in a vehicle. I would like to support the device from the back so that the pda screen could be accessable. There are 2 black slots on the 7135's sides, (bottom corners) that look like they were engineered to engage in mating tabs. I called Kyocera to inquire if such a mounting plate already existed, or if not what these slots were for. There is no such mount available, and He didn't know what the slots were designed for. (although he agreed they looked like mounting slots)
    I also asked if original dimensions of these slots were available. The person I spoke with said it was unlikely that I could get this information ... but he would try.
    Anyone here have some radius gauges and a 7135?
    <bugle><iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

As an alternate to building a contraption to hold the phone in, I found at radio shack a small kit that had an extra belt clip, an extra disk to attach to any device, and what is basically half a belt clip with double sided tape on it. These are the newer plastic swivel clips that are common. You can attach the third item on your dashboard and just slide your phone in.
    In my car I don't have the space for the 6035 where i can see the display, but I believe that it will be perfect for the 7135.

First off... I'm aware of the plethora of $10 bubblegum and rivets that I could stick to a $700 device! Are you kidding me? Have you seen the battery cover on the 7135? Are you going to trust your battery door tabs to keep the phone secured? Not me.
    I think Kyocera had something in mind when they were engineering the case. Evidently they never completed the thought. These slots in the case were put in there fo a reason. Maybe the original intent was to key into the cradle better, but they burned thru their design budget and the little things didn't get finished. Its obvious looking at Kyo's website that they are still scrambling to finish.

What I want is a flat piece of aluminium or plastic, same outline as the phone, with two keyed tabs that interlock in the bottom and a clip like the holster that grabs the curvey bit beyond the Caller ID lcd. That way you could mount the phone in plain view on your vehicle. I did this with the 6035 with a plastic holster with the belt clip removed and some 3M double hook mounting strips.
    I don't want a contraption, I want a back mounted holster that allows the screen to open.
    thank you very much <bugle>

Originally posted by aka.bugle
    First off... I'm aware of the plethora of $10 bubblegum and rivets that I could stick to a $700 device! Are you kidding me? Have you seen the battery cover on the 7135? Are you going to trust your battery door tabs to keep the phone secured? Not me.
    I think Kyocera had something in mind when they were engineering the case. Evidently they never completed the thought. These slots in the case were put in there fo a reason. Maybe the original intent was to key into the cradle better, but they burned thru their design budget and the little things didn't get finished. Its obvious looking at Kyo's website that they are still scrambling to finish.

What I want is a flat piece of aluminium or plastic, same outline as the phone, with two keyed tabs that interlock in the bottom and a clip like the holster that grabs the curvey bit beyond the Caller ID lcd. That way you could mount the phone in plain view on your vehicle. I did this with the 6035 with a plastic holster with the belt clip removed and some 3M double hook mounting strips.
    I don't want a contraption, I want a back mounted holster that allows the screen to open.
    thank you very much <bugle>
    You know, I think you're right about there might be a clip that you can attached to the dash or something. If you look at the base of the phone, not only do you have the two little indents at the bottom, but also two indents on the sides like something can click in to secure the phone. Having it like the holster is too unrealistic for car mount. It's too hard to remove the phone. But the 4 indents might just be enough to secure the who thing.

Some try to talk to a manufacturer that do this kind of thing. It's untapped revenues here if Kyocera decide not to do it. I know it would be a little pricy though, but hey, how many people do you think will purchase it?

Originally posted by nl4jy
    Some try to talk to a manufacturer that do this kind of thing. It's untapped revenues here if Kyocera decide not to do it. I know it would be a little pricy though, but hey, how many people do you think will purchase it?
    ME!! Im going nuts with the car mount, if your gonna do, do it right and the masses will follow! If you really want to make some money develop an adaptor so when you "snap" it into your cradle the car kit is automatically engaged as is a headset! Now were talking. I liked the 6035 car kit bc it had the flexibility to always have your headset plugged into the car kit. Then you could put it on or take it off and just puch a button on the car kit and not fumble around trying to plug into a 2.5mm hole while going 70!

I'm sorry I didn't describe my idea as clearly as I could have.
    I bought it at Radio Shake for $10 at a computer show(might be reduced prices.) It's called the SwiveLock.
    It's a three piece set as described in my previous post.

the SwiveLock is the exact same device that is used as a belt clip attached to the leather case that you can buy for your phone.(the 8 position rotating clip). I by no means meant to imply to attach something so cheap to the phone. You can use the disk that's built into the leather case to mount the phone.

Now one issue is that the dashboard mount does not have a locking tab, so when the phone is top heavy, it will flip upside down.

My recomendation is still along the same lines. Go to radio shack and just buy an extra SwiveLock belt clip. You don't need the dashboard mount or the disk.

Take the extra clip you now have and Carefully take the clip appart. You'll end up with two plastic pieces and the metal U clip that attatches the two pieces together. The metal piece is necessary to add pressure to keep the phone locked in position. Cut the metal piece so that you have a flat piece and reinsert that piece into the clip. Get some form of adhesive material, like double sided tape and attatch the "half clip" to your dashboard.

You now have a secure mount that will keep the phone in one position, easy to remove the phone from, extreamly low profile(it will be smaller then your finger. Also, if you mount it higher on your dashboard so that the clip is horizontal, you'll be able to view the desplay while open and you can rotate it for either the driver or passenger.

Dan

*Note* you don't have to take apart the clip, it will just give you a lower profile.

if Kyocera decide not to do it. I know it would be a little pricy though, but hey, how many people do you think will purchase it?
    Or... How many people will get p_ssD if their bubble gum rivet holds the battery door fine...
    but the <insert favorite $7$35 smiley here> rest of baby takes the rockwell hardness test. (sans power) OOOPS!
    .............humn ?
    Allright ... forget the metals and the plastics and the universal vice grips ....
    how about a clear, neoprene straight jacket that firmly yet tenderly restrains our precious from the rigors of travel. I want to stick it down or strap it in and KNOW that, I can read it, It won't move around, I could tap a few things on it and it wouldn't snap off its hinge or data connector, or the battery wouldn't fall out.
    Is that too much to ask?
    <bugle> (whose battery door is treated with kid gloves, even though its about 4 cents of plastic with some sparkly paint on it.)

Belkin makes a sweet little contraption that clips on to your heater vents and will allow you to do a few things....

1) gives you a magnetic way to hold your phone though the 7135 might be too heavy to hold. plus you need to make sure you don't have the coil on your charger pulling to hard on it. works great for my samsung 8500 (temp fix till the 7135 comes out for sprint)

2) has a doublesided taped nubbing that you can attach to the back of your phone and slides in that way, then the nubbing can be used on a belt clip also though you won't have a case while it's on your belt clip. though I'm sure there will be a case that has the nubbin on it in the near future.

3) has a slot so you can slide a belt clip through and hold it in place.

it sits at a perfect angle so the screen is almost vertical with a slight rearward tilt, makes fore easy key punching or graffiti writing (if you're right handed unlike me). it's also a great way to put a mount in your car without velcro, drilling or doubled sided tape. hope this helps anyone. I got mine at circuit city for $8. Here's the link. sorry it's so long. Ryan

http://www.circuitcity.com/frame1.js...ireless+Phones
    Save at least 15% on ProClip Products. PM me for info how to order. My website is down now that I dumped comcast for verizon.

I bought an extra holster, broke off the belt clip, drilled a hole in it, and screwed it into a profit mounting bracket. Works fine, and holds the phone securely either opened or closed. FYI- I used a flat-headed screw which I then covered with electrical tape so as to ensure that the phone isn't scratched.

It's not a cellport, but it is functional.

Originally posted by jpalay
    I bought an extra holster, broke off the belt clip, drilled a hole in it, and screwed it into a profit mounting bracket. Works fine, and holds the phone securely either opened or closed. FYI- I used a flat-headed screw which I then covered with electrical tape so as to ensure that the phone isn't scratched.

It's not a cellport, but it is functional.
    Would you mind posting a pic????

t

Originally posted by terryg
    Would you mind posting a pic????

t
    I would also love to see a pic.

I am ordering an in-dash from Panavise for my 2003 Lincoln Aviator, but can't seem to find the right mount for the phone.

Something LIKE the holster clip would be amazing. Maybe something the clip but using TABS as someone earlier in this thread suggested.

jpalay - do you find it hard to dial a number with the holdsters tabs sticking out on each side?
    Jeff
    Tampa FL
    Blackberry 7230 w/ T-Mobile

E-mail: djjefft@aol.com
    AIM: djjefft

I'm happy to post a pic, but it's going to have to wait for a day or so (busy busy busy). Regarding dialing, the tabs are a bit annoying, but not much of a problem. The bigger annoyance for me is that the keypad isn't as easy to "dial by feel" as the 6035. I do use voice recognition a lot.

WTF???

First off:

aka.bugle:

WTF??? your comment makes about as much sense as Donald Duck talking underwater. I have no idea what you're saying.

crogs571:

WTF??? Your post really scare the crap in me because of all the velcro, drilling, double-sided tape, and magnets. I wouldn't want to put a magnet anyway near my phone cause who knows what side effect it would cause. Second, I would not trust any double-sided tape to fully secure a phone this heavy. Third, I would not want any sticky residue on my phone with velcro and similar stuff. And last, drilling?!? There is no way I would ruin my dash with drill holes.

boinker:

That's exactly what I as thinking. Sorry if my post didn't feel that way. But that's why I said it would be expensive. And I think you're refering to carset instead of headset. Headset requires way too much wires as a carset only plugs in on the bottom. You should see my setup. It's ugly as hell, but it gets the job done. Currently I have a cheap 3rd party phone clip on my vent that holds the phone on the screen side, than have my car charger plugged at the bottom, and have my phone-car set on the headphone jack. my phone-car set is an adaptor that plugs into the cellphone and the other end to my cassette player, and I have my phone's mp3 playing through my car stereo and whenever a phone comes in, I'll just have voice command to accept the call. (Too bad I can't wakeup the phone while it's playing mp3) But I CAN wake it up in phone mode. Only problem I see is I can't hang up without the other user hangs up or me actually clicking on the hangup button.

Re: WTF???

I didn't mention anything about drilling. That's the last thing I'd do to my car or something for my phone. The things that stick on are all those universal gadgets, and you don't need to use them. I use them for my samsung 8500 because I don't give a crap about it. The belkin product attaches to your air vents and is pretty sturdy and secure. There's two ways you can attach your phone. 1) is through a belt clip which if you keep your 7135 in a leather case you just slide the belt clip through the slot and open up your phone and you're good to go. 2) some cases also have that swivel nubbin and that too can attach right the holder as well.

Ideally it all comes down to they type of cases you use for your phone. But the attachment is $8 and there is nothing to drill, glue, stick, velcro or anything to interior of your car.

What would be nice is a charging cradle like the CCM Navigator. They work great. The cradle plugs into your cigarette lighter and the phone slips in. You can use it as a speakerphone or plug in your earpiece and go. Again there's no hard installation in your car and you can take it with you easily if you switch cars, get a rental and such. the pic is of a motorola one, but they have a universal one with a pass through for your charger, and who knows, maybe they'll make a 7135 specific one. the universal one is nice though because if you switch phones you're not stuck with a useless cradle.

crogs571:

WTF??? Your post really scare the crap in me because of all the velcro, drilling, double-sided tape, and magnets. I wouldn't want to put a magnet anyway near my phone cause who knows what side effect it would cause. Second, I would not trust any double-sided tape to fully secure a phone this heavy. Third, I would not want any sticky residue on my phone with velcro and similar stuff. And last, drilling?!? There is no way I would ruin my dash with drill holes.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tabs for vehicle mounting-ccm.jpg  

here is a pic of the belkin vent clip model. if you look at the pic on the right it has a flipover slot if you use a belt clip and it also has a spot for the swivel nubbin disc thingy (what is the official term for those?) depending on the kind of case you use.

I've used the CCM ones forever and just started using the belkin vent clip since my car now has to have the ashtray open to use the front cigarette lighter. that's a pain in the ass.
    Attached Images

I tried a vent clip once before and found that when I have the heat or a/c on it gives me problems with the speakerphone (the noise of the air passing by the mic). While its not perfect, I had a car mount for a nokia in the car prior to getting the great and godly 7135. What I did was remove the phone cradle so all thats left is the flat plate. Then I used plastic straps to secure the spare 7135 clip that I broke going through a narrow doorway. This is designed to hold the phone bacwards as well as forwards. The only problem with this set up is it is a little tricky to dial (partially bc the mount is to far from me for my likeing). Anywat I still have to put the 7135 in, then connect the 7135 car kit, then if I get a call that I know I will be on for awhile I have to plug in the headset. For what its worth I posted a few pics to give you an idea. I'm hoping somone will build a normal car kit that the 7135 snaps into and thats it, you get power, speaker phone etc... with no extra wires! Build it and they will come!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tabs for vehicle mounting-7135-out-holder.jpg  

Doh, messed up, should have used a zip file. anyway here is a close up from the drivers side with the phone in the holster.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tabs for vehicle mounting-view-driver.jpg  

Boinker--

Thanks for posting the pictures. I am still trying to figure out what I want to do, but I do now believe that using the 'modified' holster is a good temporary option.

Jeff
    Jeff
    Tampa FL
    Blackberry 7230 w/ T-Mobile

E-mail: djjefft@aol.com
    AIM: djjefft

Re: Re: WTF???

Originally posted by crogs571
    I didn't mention anything about drilling. That's the last thing I'd do to my car or something for my phone. The things that stick on are all those universal gadgets, and you don't need to use them. I use them for my samsung 8500 because I don't give a crap about it. The belkin product attaches to your air vents and is pretty sturdy and secure. There's two ways you can attach your phone. 1) is through a belt clip which if you keep your 7135 in a leather case you just slide the belt clip through the slot and open up your phone and you're good to go. 2) some cases also have that swivel nubbin and that too can attach right the holder as well.

Ideally it all comes down to they type of cases you use for your phone. But the attachment is $8 and there is nothing to drill, glue, stick, velcro or anything to interior of your car.

What would be nice is a charging cradle like the CCM Navigator. They work great. The cradle plugs into your cigarette lighter and the phone slips in. You can use it as a speakerphone or plug in your earpiece and go. Again there's no hard installation in your car and you can take it with you easily if you switch cars, get a rental and such. the pic is of a motorola one, but they have a universal one with a pass through for your charger, and who knows, maybe they'll make a 7135 specific one. the universal one is nice though because if you switch phones you're not stuck with a useless cradle.

Sorry, I misread your post. I didn't notice that you said DON'T NEED in there. Guess I should have read it a little slower. But I like my setup the most if the wires weren't there.

I posted some pics and explanations here: http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=5857